Author Topic: Artest to the Suns?  (Read 13338 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Artest to the Suns?
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2008, 06:58:31 PM »
If what other GM's are indicating right now before the trade deadline, interest this summer in signing Artest to a five year 50-70 million deal is unlikely to happen, putting Ron back into the mix for the Kings, as stated.

Ron is going to opt out of his contract, at any rate, whether he stays with the Kings post trade deadline or Petrie moves him.

Jomal
Ron wants to work for a team that is vying for a championship RIGHT NOW.

So how would the Kings be in the running?  Does Nimrod think the Kings are in the running?  Kings Championship possibility next year?  Or like most NBA players, Artest goes with the most cash.  If that is Kings in 2008-9, then color Artest Kingly.

Ron will only "settle" for 5 years 50-70 mil?  Is this the same agent that Bonzi had?

Reality, that financial range may be all that any GM will be willing to pay Artest. His reputation, while showing improvement in Sacramento, has not translated to trust with other organizations looking to improve while not having to answer tons of media questions because of the WHO, they bring in. Ron has expressed a keen desire to sign with a contender. Do any of the contenders, including San Antonio, want Ron?

If he finds few takers this summer because of his baggage, it is not out of the expectations for both the Kings and Artest to resign him here, where his teammates like him and his character flaws have mostly been overlooked by management.

Negative points to resigning him are considerable, however, such as the slowing of the development of Francisco Garcia as well as Quincey Douby and less playing time for a very talented John Salmons. He can, and has, proved to be erratic with the Kings as well. He ruined the Indiana Pacers, and produced absolutely the worse brawl in the history of the NBA. He has been arrested for both wife and dog abuse while in Sacramento.

Can he help a contender with just his basketball skills? You bet. But the actual list of teams willing to put up with him are down to two, other then the Kings, as far as I have heard.   
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2008, 07:17:31 PM »
Reality, that financial range may be all that any GM will be willing to pay Artest. His reputation, while showing improvement in Sacramento, has not translated to trust with other organizations looking to improve while not having to answer tons of media questions because of the WHO, they bring in. Ron has expressed a keen desire to sign with a contender. Do any of the contenders, including San Antonio, want Ron?

If he finds few takers this summer because of his baggage, it is not out of the expectations for both the Kings and Artest to resign him here, where his teammates like him and his character flaws have mostly been overlooked by management.

Oh good heavens no i meant are their really any GMs that are willing to give him that much?  And if so would he possibly turn that down, even it it was from the Grizzly-Lakers?  My Bonzi application was the Bonzs' turning down 5 years 36 mil or whatever it was from the Kings.  Artest should take 5/50/70 and laugh, cry and be moody all the way to the bank.  I'll be blown away if he gets offered that.

Can he help a contender with just his basketball skills? You bet. But the actual list of teams willing to put up with him are down to two, other then the Kings, as far as I have heard.
Rarf, rrrrr rrrrr Rarf rarf rarf pant pant pant...Which two which two?!  Are the Spurs one of them? huhuhuhuhuhuhuhu.   

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »

Oh good heavens no i meant are their really any GMs that are willing to give him that much?  And if so would he possibly turn that down, even it it was from the Grizzly-Lakers?  My Bonzi application was the Bonzs' turning down 5 years 36 mil or whatever it was from the Kings.  Artest should take 5/50/70 and laugh, cry and be moody all the way to the bank.  I'll be blown away if he gets offered that.

Rarf, rrrrr rrrrr Rarf rarf rarf pant pant pant...Which two which two?!  Are the Spurs one of them? huhuhuhuhuhuhuhu.   

We need to put you down like Old Yeller.....
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2008, 07:44:01 PM »

No kidding.

Last I heard, only the Nuggets and Knicks (!) were still interested in Artest.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »

No kidding.

WTF..Why the Nuggets?  They are going to move Melo to the 2 and let Artest play the 3?  I mean on paper to have Artest on the perimeter and Camby's shot blocking in the middle sounds awesome but jeez...Artest and AI on the same team?  TOO HOOD..people are going to get blasted in practice (AI goes now btw)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2008, 07:58:31 PM »
No kidding.
So do you two fleabags even have any insider info?
Since Petrie never shares his trade discussions until they actually take place, we have no idea what he may be up to regarding Artest,

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2008, 08:24:38 PM »
Just the Sacramento Bee. There was an Artest article in the paper today:

On Basketball: Artest's rep could impact possible move
By Scott Howard-Cooper - showard-cooper@sacbee.com
Last Updated 5:53 am PST Monday, February 11, 2008
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C1

Print | E-Mail | Comments (37)| Digg it | del.icio.us

For all the things he said that couldn't happen (last season's emotional wanderings of quitting the NBA to play in Europe) or wouldn't happen (reflexive declarations that the Kings will make the playoffs), this is the one that can and possibly will.

Ron Artest recently said he sees his time in Sacramento ending, and for the first time, his comments are grounded in reality.

This being Artest, the situation, naturally, is complicated. He didn't demand an outbound ticket before the Feb. 21 trade deadline. He didn't insist he was leaving as a free agent in the summer. And, in the other disclaimer, most every previous uh-oh statement about his Kings life was invariably followed by a clarification or reconciliation and pledge of undying loyalty to the organization.

The difference in February 2008 is that his words ? and his signature unpredictability ? carry actual consequences: If Artest really does want out, the Kings must consider their reaction with the understanding that he can declare himself a free agent July 1 and leave without compensation. Even if they gave their starting small forward some soothing TLC in the wake of comments that he doesn't feel a real commitment ? a strange sense given the number of times the team has stood by him ? can he be trusted in the summer to re-sign or agree to a sign-and-trade that would ensure Sacramento it would not lose a talented player without compensation?

In the other problem-of-the-moment for the Kings: "I think there's very few teams that'll touch him," one opposing executive, who did not want his name used because of the delicate nature of trade possibilities, said of the chances of an equitable deal by Feb. 21.

Most prominent, he's Ron Artest, forever a center of controversy, a source of conflict and frustration and unreliable behavior. But now he also is about to become a free agent, having already said he probably would exercise an escape clause to get a contract that will pay more than the $7.4 million now earmarked for the 2008-09 season.

"I don't think there's that great of a market," said another front-office executive who did not want to be identified because of similar reasons. "You've got the combination of the baggage he brings personally and the baggage that will come into your team professionally. And then you've got the baggage with the contract situation."

But, the superior defense? The energy? The toughness?

"He brings it all," the personnel veteran said. "But is trying to deal with all the other stuff worth it? I don't think so."

The assessment is not uncommon in front offices around the league.

"You keep crossing names (of potential destinations) off the list," the first exec said. "After a while, you're out of names."

Which is different than impossible to trade.

Some potential suitors will view Artest's uncertain contract future as an advantage, an escape clause of their own in case he does not fit well in the new setting. Others won't rate such an unknown as a benefit but will be interested in dealing anyway during a title push in a season in which most teams want to store up for wide-open playoffs.

Either way, it won't take giving up equal talent to get him, needing only to essentially match Artest's $7.4 million salary of 2007-08 to make a deal work within the rules of the salary cap. In that regard, the Kings have a much better chance of getting intriguing offers than they would for Mike Bibby, who is making $13.5 million, a figure that would require stacking more contracts ? a lot more contracts in some situations ? and likely bloated contracts that Sacramento has no interest in taking back.

The Kings could always keep Artest and let him walk as a free agent to clear cap space, a realistic scenario. But that also would mean losing one of their best players ? someone 28 years old and able to fit into future plans ? without compensation.

It has become an issue for the moment, rather than unavoidable until summer, because of the Feb. 21 deadline. Maybe Artest will say by then that he wants to stay with a new deal, maybe he won't. Or maybe it won't matter what he says because the Kings have heard it all before and will make their decision without concern for his.

This article does not touch on it, but previous ones have suggested a Nugget trade (including Kleiza/Najera for Artest), and the Knicks. The holdups include the Nuggets not wanting to trade Najera with the status of Nene in doubt, and Knicks not wanting to include David Lee in any trade for Artest.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 08:37:37 PM by JoMal »

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2008, 10:56:23 AM »
I'm not sure that I understand why the Nuggets would want Artest.  Where are they going to play him?  PF? 

I can understand why Thomas would trade for Artest -- he's an IDIOT!!!  He wants to leave the Knicks as the most pathetic state you can leave a team when he finally gets fired.  Wouldn't most of us like to have this kind of job security?  Spend all the money you want, hey don't worry about producing results and make sure you lock up a bunch of players who have tremendous attitudes, can't play together, don't play any defense and are way overpaid.  Where do you get a job like that again?

Artest is currently in the same boat as JR Rider was at the end of his career.  They guy still had game in him but all of his baggage makes him undesirable no matter what his game is.  It's beyond me that teams (other than the Knicks) would actually consider signing this cancer to their organization.  It's simply NOT worth it (as the Kings have found out).  I think that Denver feels like they need an upgrade to move forward -- I don't think that Artest is an upgrade for anyone.  It's subtraction by addition (what you get when you add him to your roster turns out to be a negative no matter how good it looks on paper).

As for the Kings, they ought to trade Artest for whatever they can get (a box of toilet paper is a worthy trade, IMO) and see if they can salvage some of the chemistry that they once had with their current players.  The problem with the Kings is that they are losing much more than games -- they are losing their fans -- and Artest is part of the problem.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 12:11:46 PM »
Just the Sacramento Bee. There was an Artest article in the paper today:

This article does not touch on it, but previous ones have suggested a Nugget trade (including Pleiza/Najera for Artest), and the Knicks. The holdups include the Nuggets not wanting to trade Najera with the status of Nene in doubt, and Knicks not wanting to include David Lee in any trade for Artest.
This is unsettling to me.  I thought you had powers of Kings insidedness.  The Sac Bee?

Kleiza would be a good trade for Sac with Najeras expiring thrown in.  Kleiza had 41/9 in a win over Utah this year so you know the guy has continued potential at age 23.

But if Denver aint trading Kleiza then I'll stick with the two Spurs tall prospects Manhinmi and Splitter with Barrdog.  Tell you what, here is another one you can if nothing else look at.  Jeremy Richardson is gonna play for the Spurs vs Cavs Wed night.  6'7" beanpole guard.  Would merely be additional filler if that will get you loose Artest.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 12:22:01 PM »
Jeremy Richardson is gonna play for the Spurs vs Cavs Wed night.  6'7" beanpole guard. 

How are the Spurs going to play someone that isn't even on their roster?

Do we need to revisit the earlier posts about THINKING before you post?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2008, 12:25:03 PM »
Jeremy Richardson is gonna play for the Spurs vs Cavs Wed night.  6'7" beanpole guard. 

The Spurs re signed him today.  Will this stop you from posing as a Spurs know it all which you are sorely not?
Yes, please do revisit all of your posts saying "think before you post".

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2008, 12:49:57 PM »

The Spurs re signed him today.  Will this stop you from posing as a Spurs know it all which you are sorely not?
Yes, please do revisit all of your posts saying "think before you post".

So where is the link to this signing?

Not on the local paper site

Not on Spursreport.com

Not on NBA.com

Not on any of the major media sites (ESPN, SI, Sportsline)

Maybe you could actually post some proof.  And what makes you think they would resign someone and immediately play him?

Until then I will have to believe that you are posting without any thought...SNAFU in other words.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2008, 01:54:50 PM »
Sometimes us RealSpurs have info that has not hit you who rely soley on the media to pose as Spurs knowers.

The link will be coming sometime today I'm sure.
SNAFU?  :D  Moron.

You are owned.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2008, 03:07:29 PM »
Sometimes us RealSpurs have info that has not hit you who rely soley on the media to pose as Spurs knowers.

The link will be coming sometime today I'm sure.
SNAFU?  :D  Moron.

You are owned.

I won't be owned until you can actually back up your claim.  As of now you aren't any better than Peter Vescey.  And he was at least right once.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2008, 03:16:23 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txspursrichardson&prov=st&type=lgns

SAN ANTONIO (TICKER) -- The San Antonio Spurs on Sunday re-signed swingman Jeremy Richardson, who originally signed with the team on January 10.

Richardson, 23, has played in three games for the Spurs, averaging 1.7 points.

The 6-7, 195-pound Richardson was signed by the Memphis Grizzlies on December 20 but did not score a point in three games with Grizzlies before being waived on January 7.