Author Topic: Artest to the Suns?  (Read 13308 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Artest to the Suns?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 01:55:18 PM »
IMO Ron would do better on the disciplined Spurs team.  The Spurs are MULTIPLE NBA champions, Artest will adjust to the Spurs NOT the other way around.

In all fairness to Ron, he has REAL mental problems, problems that REQUIRE medication to balance the chemicals in his brain.  This is not a case of a coddled athlete who thinks the world is his playground.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 02:35:09 PM »
IMO Ron would do better on the disciplined Spurs team.  The Spurs are MULTIPLE NBA champions, Artest will adjust to the Spurs NOT the other way around.

In all fairness to Ron, he has REAL mental problems, problems that REQUIRE medication to balance the chemicals in his brain.  This is not a case of a coddled athlete who thinks the world is his playground.

Yeah, at times that is still true. Earlier this season, In SLC, the booing of the fans set Artest off, so he started showboating, pounding his chest and playing to the crowd. That Miller was playing him overly physical finally caused him to overreact and he got thown out of the game.The only time that has happened this season, though.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 03:10:31 PM »
To be fair I haven't watched Ron play much this year, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  However, I did get the privelage of watching him play live against the Clippers a couple of weeks back in a 30 point blow out.  It was a tough game to watch, but when I could stomach it, I spent quite a bit of time focusing on Artest.  At a certain point he got what he percieved as a bad call against him on offense.  He talked to the ref the whole way down the court and on defense.  When play stopped, he went over and talked to the official again.  Then during the next stoppage, he talked to a different official (I guess the first one didn't change the call).  Then later he went over to the third official.  This literally continued for an entire quarter, if not longer. 

I realize homeboy has some mental health issues, and I honestly wish him the best.  I just don't want him on my team. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 03:12:09 PM »

The thing with the Spurs from the players up to the owner is they don't take crap.  You play hard.  You are classy.  You are a true professional.  If you cannot do that, you leave.   Pop takes no crap and I just don't see him wanting to deal with Ron Artest.

But all knowing Reality thinks the Spurs can get every player and if they look good in a playoff series from years past they will automatically improve a team.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 08:22:45 PM »

Yeah, at times that is still true. Earlier this season, In SLC, the booing of the fans set Artest off, so he started showboating, pounding his chest and playing to the crowd. That Miller was playing him overly physical finally caused him to overreact and he got thown out of the game.The only time that has happened this season, though.
WoW it's your ability to occasionally step outside of The Laker House and see things clearly that has me saving those Spurs shoes for you.
For the time when you can completely break free.  :'( ;D

Jomal,
Two prospects who are Spurs draft picks to consider as part of the deal for Ronny Artest.
Spurs have invested, or rather waited for these two for quite a few years.  Of course they did with Scola also. ;)
Actually the latter Ian Manhinmi they Spurs did sign to a contract this year.  He is on the Spurs payroll, currently playing in NBDL.
Here is Tiago Splitter the Spurs #1 pick in 2007 (#28 overall) from Brasil.  Currently plays for Tau, same team that Fabbs and Scola played on.(Apparantly the video makers thought it was very important you got to see extensive footage of his free throw shooting form.)
My apologies for the grainy video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFjeWYbfxBs
And here he is vs Gasol.  Well, Marc Gasol.  But that is Paos brother.  That's pretty close to being a Laker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ONckSWC5Io&NR=1
Some basics on Splitter:
6'11"-7'0" skinny but can run the floor, good footwork.
http://sanantonio.about.com/b/2007/06/29/spurs-draft-tiago-splitter.htm

Overview
Splitter could be an exciting player to watch and has been one of the top international NBA prospects for a few years now. However, there are questions on whether the reality will meet the hype. Splitter could be a high risk/high reward type of player. Do you get a rookie Darko Milicic or an athletic and slashing Dirk Nowitzki that needs a few seasons in the league before breaking out?

And the previously mentioned and the guy i showed you video of dunking on WoW at the YMCA, Ian Mahinmi.  My peeps in Austin (Spurs *farm* club NBDL) say: can get pushed around pretty easily by D-Leaguers. You put him on Shaq and Shaq would flatten him. Mahinmi still has a lot of work in the weight room to do.  Mahinmi could be the answer sooner than expected as in next season but I don't think he's an option this season. Good idea but I haven't seen anything out of the Spurs indicating they plan to give Mahinmi a shot this season.

However they also like his D and his attitude.  O potential looks good.  Most feel his will break into NBA next year, might sniff playoffs this year if Kings trade Artest to the Lakers for Happy Hairstons contract, alchohol from Laker Fan Dan and a blueberry souflee cooked by Randy.  Or if the Phoenix deal for Ron comes down.

Lurker thinks Ian Manhinmi is the replacement for Fabs/Elson next year(s).
"They have a young big man in Mahinmi to replace Fabs/Elson.  They have draft rights to one of the best big men in Europe in Tiago Splitter (last year's first rounder)." 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 08:31:55 PM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 08:57:57 PM »
Jomal,
Two prospects who are Spurs draft picks to consider as part of the deal for Ronny Artest.
Spurs have invested, or rather waited for these two for quite a few years.  Of course they did with Scola also. ;)
Actually the latter Ian Manhinmi they Spurs did sign to a contract this year.  He is on the Spurs payroll, currently playing in NBDL.
Here is Tiago Splitter the Spurs #1 pick in 2007 (#28 overall) from Brasil.  Currently plays for Tau, same team that Fabbs and Scola played on.(Apparantly the video makers thought it was very important you got to see extensive footage of his free throw shooting form.)
My apologies for the grainy video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFjeWYbfxBs
And here he is vs Gasol.  Well, Marc Gasol.  But that is Paos brother.  That's pretty close to being a Laker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ONckSWC5Io&NR=1
Some basics on Splitter:
6'11"-7'0" skinny but can run the floor, good footwork.
http://sanantonio.about.com/b/2007/06/29/spurs-draft-tiago-splitter.htm

For once I TOTALLY agree with Reality.  JoMal, based on the videos posted by Reality, the Kings should be buring up the Memphis phone lines.  Marc Gasol is a totally awesome looking prospect.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 09:07:46 PM »
For once I TOTALLY agree with Reality.  JoMal, based on the videos posted by Reality, the Kings should be buring up the Memphis phone lines.  Marc Gasol is a totally awesome looking prospect.
No that is who the Spurs prospects Manhinmi and Splitter are playing against.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 10:08:15 PM »
No that is who the Spurs prospects Manhinmi and Splitter are playing against.

Exactly!  The Kings should get their hands on Marc before the Grizz realize what a monster they have.  If the Kings wait until Marc is putting up 15/12 per game then Artest will not be enough!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 10:21:26 AM »
There is NO way that Memphis wants to take on the contract of Artest for the rights to Marc Gasol.  The rights to Gasol, IMO, are what caused Memphis to pull the trigger on the LA deal.  Gasol IS the best big man in Euro right now and Memphis have him but at the same time don't have to pay him a dime.  That allows Memphis to sell their team cheaper because he isn't under contract and then bring him over to build around. 

I still think that the Grizz need to make a couple more deals -- Mike Miller is one -- they want to lock up some better first round picks (so they want to trade Miller to a team who is definately going to generate some good lottery picks -- like the Knicks who have quite a few and Isaiah is ALWAYS willing to add a long-term contract to his roster.  Then the Grizz have a very low payroll making it easier to sell but at the same time give them 5 or 6 #1 draft picks to reload along with bringing Marc Gasol from overseas.

I kept telling people that Marc Gasol was PERFECT for what Memphis was looking for -- someone to build a team around while at the same time not costing them a dime until the team was sold.  It's the WHOLE REASON the Grizz made the trade with the Lakers.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 03:05:24 PM »
Marc Gasol, huh?

Tiago Splitter?

Where are the guarantees that these guys are worth waiting for?

At the moment, the Kings have two centers on which they are banking on - for right now and for the future. One, Brad Miller, is playing back to all star levels this season. He was the player of the week recently by posting 20+ point and 18+ rebounds per 3 games that week. If he maintains the workout regimend he undertook in the offseason, the Kings are going to keep him around for a while longer. But at some point, Spencer Hawes will be put into the starting lineup and if his brief glimpses of activity so far this season is any indication, he certainly will also be kept around too. So the Kings will live with that scenario for now and not chance the risk of bringing in someone they can't trust their future on nearly as much.

Any trade involving Artest will need careful consideration by Petrie, to say the least. The perception made by SpursX3 is shared by probably 90 percent of the GM's in the League, which certainly narrows the choices down to a handful of teams, and also makes any potential deal heavily favoring the other team. Still, the Nuggets and Knicks are talking to the Kings about Artest, and if one or the other has a good draft pick to include, it could influence things. Or Petrie could just let Ron bolt this summer and clear out 7.8 million in cap space - not the amount he would like to write home about, but still something. His last option is a sign and trade, but willing trade partners would again be scarce.

The sad thing is, any playoff team would benefit from getting Artest before the trade deadline. Ron wants to work for a team that is vying for a championship RIGHT NOW. The cost could be minimal, if things do not work out, since he will opt out of his contract anyway after the season. But until then, a motivated guy like Artest could result is a better post-season outcome then either of the Gasol or O'Neal trades for the team acquiring him. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2008, 03:11:41 PM »
Tiago Splitter?

And Ian Manhinmi of the Spurs.  How about if i included an expiring contract Brent Barrdog?
No guarantees.
Just as this guy wrote there are no guarantees with Artest:
Any trade involving Artest will need careful consideration by Petrie, to say the least. The perception made by SpursX3 is shared by probably 90 percent of the GM's in the League, which certainly narrows the choices down to a handful of teams, and also makes any potential deal heavily favoring the other team.
Jomal if you want to do a counter offer, fine.
But is this the best you have gotten so far?
Petrie really might let Artest walk away for nothing?  That would be silly.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 03:42:55 PM by Reality »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2008, 04:01:39 PM »
Tiago Splitter?

And Ian Manhinmi of the Spurs.  How about if i included an expiring contract Brent Barrdog?
No guarantees.
Just as this guy wrote there are no guarantees with Artest:
Any trade involving Artest will need careful consideration by Petrie, to say the least. The perception made by SpursX3 is shared by probably 90 percent of the GM's in the League, which certainly narrows the choices down to a handful of teams, and also makes any potential deal heavily favoring the other team.
Jomal if you want to do a counter offer, fine.
But is this the best you have gotten so far?
Petrie really might let Artest walk away for nothing?  That would be silly.

Since Petrie never shares his trade discussions until they actually take place, we have no idea what he may be up to regarding Artest, but he certainly would consider keeping him until the off-season and then let him go to the highest bidder if nothing materializes before the trade deadline. And why not? If Ron does not find suitable employment elsewhere, Petrie could resign him for less then he might have otherwise, or do a sign and trade if he does.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 04:21:49 PM »
Artests last seasons with Kings locked up expires in 10 days or so, no?
Next season is a player option, not Kings option.

Petrie thinks 'Testy will not get better offers from teams other then the Kings?  Naw.  Well wait at 8 mil perhaps that is so.
To me from the Kings point of view the surest and best bet is to move him now.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 04:26:29 PM by Reality »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 05:55:46 PM »
Artests last seasons with Kings locked up expires in 10 days or so, no?
Next season is a player option, not Kings option.

Petrie thinks 'Testy will not get better offers from teams other then the Kings?  Naw.  Well wait at 8 mil perhaps that is so.
To me from the Kings point of view the surest and best bet is to move him now.

If what other GM's are indicating right now before the trade deadline, interest this summer in signing Artest to a five year 50-70 million deal is unlikely to happen, putting Ron back into the mix for the Kings, as stated.

Ron is going to opt out of his contract, at any rate, whether he stays with the Kings post trade deadline or Petrie moves him.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 06:07:36 PM »
If what other GM's are indicating right now before the trade deadline, interest this summer in signing Artest to a five year 50-70 million deal is unlikely to happen, putting Ron back into the mix for the Kings, as stated.

Ron is going to opt out of his contract, at any rate, whether he stays with the Kings post trade deadline or Petrie moves him.

Jomal
Ron wants to work for a team that is vying for a championship RIGHT NOW.

So how would the Kings be in the running?  Does Nimrod think the Kings are in the running?  Kings Championship possibility next year?  Or like most NBA players, Artest goes with the most cash.  If that is Kings in 2008-9, then color Artest Kingly.

Ron will only "settle" for 5 years 50-70 mil?  Is this the same agent that Bonzi had?