Author Topic: Artest to the Suns?  (Read 13275 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Artest to the Suns?
« on: February 08, 2008, 11:43:33 AM »
I do not know about the legitimacy or not of "Gambo", a Phoenix sports radio host.
He is the guy who first locally reported the Shaq trade.  Says the Suns are making a move for Artest.
They have that #10 pick via ATL, also purportedly have exemptions to match Rons 8 mil Kings salary.

Spurs should block this ASAP.
Barry Bonner etc for Artest.

Lurker stop making out with WoW and the Laker Bois for a second and give your analysis.
Will Mike Finley step it up again in the 2008 playoffs?  It's crucial you give an accurate prediction. 
Finley is 1 for 2 with the Spurs.  Argue about that some other time, he was most excellent last year and you called it, albeit i dont think you knew he would be that good did you?  Irregardless you called his goodness in advance in 2007.  Can, WILL he do it again?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 12:26:33 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Artest to the Suns?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 11:57:10 AM »
Steve Kerr did say earlier this week that they are looking to make another move.  Getting Ron Artest would put this team over the top IMO.  The Shaq trade didn't do that because they gave up a solid perimeter defender.  If they had Ron Ron that would not only answer the loss of Marion in that regard but also approve upon it.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 11:59:43 AM »
This would make perfect sense for Phoenix if it is true.  If it happens it should make the Spurs and the Celtics worry.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 12:06:11 PM »
Not heard about this one before.

Artest for a #10 (or so) pick in the draft and exceptions? This would sound better after a few.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 12:11:01 PM »
Reality why do you think that the Spurs can make every trade and get every player?!  How exactly would the Spurs block the trade?  On top of that Finley is key for his range right now more then anything.  Ron Artest doesn't have the range that Finley does.  He is a better defender but the Spurs have not used Finley as a defensive stopper.  They use him to spread the floor and pull players out away from doubling Duncan.  Besides Ron Ron needs to dominate the ball to score.  On the Spurs he would be a 4th option at best.  NOT TO MENTION...god how boring would Spurs games be?  You have Bowen and Artest locking down offensive players  so scores look like WNBA games?  LOL
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 12:18:47 PM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 12:22:38 PM »
Not heard about this one before.

Artest for a #10 (or so) pick in the draft and exceptions? This would sound better after a few.
Hold on Jomal I'm working on an offer.  Trying to get you that 1st year Spur Ian Mahinmi video who oozes potential.
Another Euro guy named Spitter, altho i think he has one of those damned Euro buyouts.
Imo a bidding war is on.  Cuban has to be in on this also.

B-Rad would you attempt to get some kind of clue?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 12:34:42 PM »
How does a playoff team (Hawks) end up with the #10 pick?

As far as Finley...unfortunately Reality I could try to explain that a basketball game is based on many factors besides three point shooting.  I could try to explain that there is team defense.  There is hustle plays and ball handling.  But I have found that when it comes to comparing role players you focus only on their offensive production.

Try looking at how Finley muscled up with Melo in teh first round of the playoffs last year...not the game he hit 8 3 pointers but the other games.  You should have watched the Wizards game the other night and seen down the stretch the work Finley put on Jamison to deny him the ball in good position and came up with a steal and a deflection.  You might have seen Finley near the end of the third quarter hit Duncan with an alley-oop.  However these things won't impress you.  All you will say is "he was 1-6 from the arc".

Finley will move the ball within the offense.  He will bang bodies with whoever he is assigned to guard.  He will play solid transition defense.  Oh, and yeah, he will hit a few key baskets.  In short: he will do everything that Pop and the team asks him to do.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 12:44:23 PM »
Would you stop lying about what i think and don't think and tell me how you think he will do in 2008 compared to 2007?

His defense has improved.  It has also sucked at times this year, as it did in the 2006 playoff loss to the Mavs.
He's been wayy out of position on rotations.  All correctable tho, but he has had plenty of time to learn the D.
And yes his 3 pt shooting is a large part of his role on the Spurs.
He can't shutdown most other teams 3s therefore if he is not hitting treys he is almost always costing the Spurs.  Get Real!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 12:44:37 PM »

B-Rad would you attempt to get some kind of clue?

Is this seriously coming from you?  Mr. The Spurs can trade for anyone and it will automatically work cuz of what you see in the box score?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 12:48:22 PM »
I would only worry if Artest didn't further destroy the team by just being psycho.  great defensive player, cancer to a team, how will Shaq and Artest get along, artest would seriously get on Shaqs nerves, I see this a a bad move move for the Suns.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 12:52:34 PM »
SPURSX3 haven't you ever dated a bipolar chick? ;)
The lows are low but the highs are HIGH!
Kings playoffs 2006 stinking Artest and Bonzi darn near took down the Spurs.
When they are good, they are goood.
It's only a half season risk, 'Testy can opt out and most likely will at the end of this season.
Yes it's a risk, no doubt.  Will we regret it bigtime if he is GoodRon on the Suns?

Rodman Bulls.  Spurs have to be strong enough to not allow his headgames to prevail.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 01:19:24 PM »
Would you stop lying about what i think and don't think and tell me how you think he will do in 2008 compared to 2007?
 Get Real!

I did but you obviously caught a dose of Randy-itis.  Try to comprehend...I'll post it again:

Finley will move the ball within the offense.  He will bang bodies with whoever he is assigned to guard.  He will play solid transition defense.  Oh, and yeah, he will hit a few key baskets.  In short: he will do everything that Pop and the team asks him to do.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
Translation, you will continue to see Finley thru rose colored glasses.  You really had no idea he would do what he did in 2007 Playoffs, you just kept saying he was great from the day he joined the team and coincidentally he had a trey outbreak in the '07 playoffs.

Alright then.

Do you want 'Testy on the Spurs?

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 01:23:35 PM »
This would make perfect sense for Phoenix if it is true.  If it happens it should make the Spurs and the Celtics worry.

Gee, Rick, seems to me you just made this statement in a previous thread and I quote: "Shaq will get another title if the trade goes through.  Phoenix knows it can't just run down the lane everytime.  When half-court basketball comes, Shaq is the answer to the Suns problems."

So if Shaq hands them a title, why does Artest potentially coming to Phoenix make the Spurs and Celtics worry? By your reasoning, they should've taken the ball and gone homw the minute the Shaq deal went through, so which is it?

If they get Artest and they do title, will it be because of Artest or O'neal? Good for you that the Suns hedge their bet on the stupidest trade since, well since almost ever, not counting the Gasol/Brown trade, because now you can have it both ways.
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 01:46:24 PM »
I would only worry if Artest didn't further destroy the team by just being psycho.  great defensive player, cancer to a team, how will Shaq and Artest get along, artest would seriously get on Shaqs nerves, I see this a a bad move move for the Suns.

Before continuing this discussion, I would like to point out that Artest has been anything BUT a cancer to the team while a member of the Kings.

He has certainly had his problems off the court in the two years he has been here, and got suspended for seven games to start this season, but even those problems have actually been minimized by how he has treated his teammates, his <current> coach, and when Adelman was still here (none of the Kings much liked Musselman), and especially his relationship with the Maloofs and Petrie.

He stays after practice to mentor young guns like Martin, Garcia, and Douby, getting them more into an NBA frame of mind, and he heaps praise on John Salmon, who essentially is the guy most likely to replace him in the King's starting line-up when Ron gets traded. He tells one and all he has enjoyed playing in Sacramento, and makes appearances around town, especially in youth programs. He knows his image is tarnished and, while not completely succeeding at it all the time, he has mostly been successful doing it, even to the point of giving up his questionable music career to focus on basketball.

While Sacramento has been able to help troubled players do this in the past, providing an island of <some> stability for players who otherwise either caused problems elsewhere or just never played much (Chris Webber, Vernon Maxwell, Scot Pollard, Doug Christie, etc), in Artest's case, it was truly a matter of career resurrection.

Ron's overall basketball skills are on display practically every night. Quite the ballhog in his first two years here, this season he works within the offense much better, while still sticking it to whomever he is defending. There is no other small forward in the League who matches up with him strengthwise. period. He can play the four position fairly well, when the Kings go small.

I can see where a veteran team might be scared off by someone like Artest because of preconceptions about how Ron has been in the past, and truth be told, I can see a team such as the Spurs reacting in a negative way because of that, as might the Suns.

But on the court, do you REALLY think Ron would drive Shaq crazy....or more likely it being the other way around, where Ron (and others) get tired of the out-of-shape blob getting all the attention for no effort?     
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:48:08 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."