Author Topic: Thoughts on Gasol after two games.  (Read 3333 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Thoughts on Gasol after two games.
« on: February 08, 2008, 11:00:04 AM »
Positives:
Already looks comfortable in the triangle, either that or Kwame was so bad that it makes Gasol look like Scottie Pippen in there.

Excellent passer, he is the perfect fit for the post in the triangle.  Good vision and makes solid passes.

Able to create his own shot.  Kwame was only good at getting point blank dunks from great passes.  A good pass that 90% of NBA players would catch for an easy layup would be wasted on Kwame.  Gasol does not need a pass to be perfect in order to score.  Gasol can get an entry pass on the box or within 17 feet and score on his own.

Good hands.  Very solid handling the basketball and excellent on catching passes.

Great size/mobility combo.  Forgot Gasol is a legit 7 footer.  Doesn't have T-Rex arms, great length and he moves like an SF.

Negatives:

Eurosoft.  He is not a tough banger and at the 5 you need some toughness. 

Defense is below average.  Guys can go at him on offense and bully him for fouls or easy baskets.  He can block shots but he is not very effective as an on ball defender nor does his help defense seem to be there.  Maybe he needs some time to adjust but I just don't see much defense from him right now and that is where the Lakers really excel.  When the Laker defense is working they look like a title contendor.

Rebounding is very weak.  Despite his per game average he is a very weak rebounder.  He does not scrap for rebounds, he doesn't fight for position nor does he seem to want to rebound in traffic.  Gasol just seems to snag the rebounds that come to him uncontested.  IMO Odom is a much better rebounder as is Turiaf.  They go after the boards and are not afraid to mix it up under the boards.  Gasol seems to not want to do the dirty work of fighting for boards, he just collects the one's he supposed to collect.  I honestly don't remember if Bynum is the same way or if he's more like Odom.

I don't think he is used to TRUE pressure situations.  With the Lakers you will face pressure every day of the week, even before the trade.  Now that the media and some fans have annointed Gasol as the key championship piece, the pressure will be on for him and I don't know how he will handle it.  So many times I wondered why a big fish from some "other" pond would become a little fish in the Laker pond.  Could be pressure or could be the Lakers system or personnel.

Last game vs the Hawks I don't think Gasol played the entire 4th quarter, not sure if it was because of his inexperience with the Lakers, PJ's doghouse or his conditioning.  All but the first are a matter of concern for me.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Thoughts on Gasol after two games.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 11:06:40 AM »
Negatives:

Eurosoft.  He is not a tough banger and at the 5 you need some toughness. 
Softer then you and Randophs hands as you're soaking at the West Hollywood beauty parlor.
The look on your face is the same as when Marge tells you "You're soaking in Palmolive."  And don't think Marge is joking, he isn't.
Did you watch any of the Spurs-Grizzleys playoff matchups?  No.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 11:10:08 AM »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 11:11:29 AM »
Oh sorry, i was reffering to legit championship stuff, not fantacy gift ball.

YAWN.
Owned.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 11:31:29 AM »

YAWN.
Owned.

Glad you have finally admitted to last years "fantacy" gift ball.  If it wasn't for strike seasons (1999), injuries (2004) and ref gifts (2007) then I don't know what you would have to post about in regards to the Spurs.  The Spurs looked just as happy with their 2007 ref gift title as they did with their legit 2005 title so you should be as well.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 11:37:25 AM »

YAWN.
Owned.

Glad you have finally admitted to last years "fantacy" gift ball.  If it wasn't for strike seasons (1999), injuries (2004) and ref gifts (2007) then I don't know what you would have to post about in regards to the Spurs.  The Spurs looked just as happy with their 2007 ref gift title as they did with their legit 2005 title so you should be as well.

If you want to start comparing injuries and gifts...maybe we should invite JoMal to join the conversation.  Or we can talk about 2000 title that the Spurs were unable to defend because Duncan went down with an injury in the final week.

Blah, blah, blah...you seem as hung up on the Spurs titles and belittling them as Reality does in sniffing Kobe's jock.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 11:42:11 AM »
If you want to start comparing injuries and gifts...maybe we should invite JoMal to join the conversation.  Or we can talk about 2000 title that the Spurs were unable to defend because Duncan went down with an injury in the final week.

Blah, blah, blah...you seem as hung up on the Spurs titles and belittling them as Reality does in sniffing Kobe's jock.

Just pointing out that BS can be flung in any direction.  If the BS was comming from a Pistons or Bulls camp I could do the same.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 12:23:44 PM »
I think its wayyyyyyyyyyyy too early to be making this thread but its Friday and I need some good bball talk since its slow.

Positives: 

-He can actually catch passes and finish on a pick and roll
-He seems very excited to be on a team that has a chance to really compete in the West
-He is aggressive/assertive on the offensive end, something the Lakers desperately needed in a second scorer since Odom was not that guy
-His passing has impressed me for someone who doesn't know the offense yet.  Once he does I think it will only improve as he has good vision for a big and commands a double

Negatives:
-His defense needs to improve a bit IMO
-He has not been put into a position where its a tough playoff series and he needs to go to "war"...not his fault so much as his situation in Memphis.
-Needs to learn to work inside of the offensive instead of what he did in Memphis which is just take it upon himself to always score (although this is a catch 22 if you see my positive that he is more assertive)

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 10:46:33 AM »
After the game against Orlando, I REALLY like what I see in Gasol.  Not Gasol at center -- but Gasol at PF (imagining him playing next to Bynum).  Gasol is a good rebounder but likes to move without the ball, face up to the basket and passes the ball very well.   He is the PERFECT compliment to Andrew Bynum who plays inside and will bang (Turiaf is a good player off the bench but he is undersized to play tons of minutes).  He is going to be a GREAT compliment to the Lakers -- giving them passing, shooting, and rebounding at almost every position.  This makes it difficult for teams to "zone up" on the Lakers -- it makes it impossible for teams to sag off of players and it makes our bench that much better. 

I LOVED watching Gasol go at Howard last night -- getting him in foul trouble.  This is the way teams will attack Shaq in Phoenix -- draw him out 18 feet and either drive by him and collect the foul or simply pass to the open man when the Suns have to double team.  This is where I believe that Gasol can solve some problems for Duncan. 

I sure hope this team can get healthy -- it's going to be a BLAST to watch this team when that happens!!!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 11:34:21 PM »
Nice road trip for the Lakers so far, they could and SHOULD have won all of them.  Gasol is not very good on defense or rebounding for the Lakers so far, he just doesn't have that bruiser attitude.  If Bynum doesn't get back we are going to see more of Benga? than we are going to like in the playoffs.  Lakers are really lacking a big body at the 5, that Benga guy is not going to cut it.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 09:58:50 AM »
Nice road trip for the Lakers so far, they could and SHOULD have won all of them.  Gasol is not very good on defense or rebounding for the Lakers so far, he just doesn't have that bruiser attitude.  If Bynum doesn't get back we are going to see more of Benga? than we are going to like in the playoffs.  Lakers are really lacking a big body at the 5, that Benga guy is not going to cut it.

I think the lack of rebounding has to do with his back and the fact that Odom has been a machine on the glass.  You are right though.  Like I said earlier in the thread his defense needs to improve.  That is actually why I personally was so high on Bynum.  The games where he had 20+ points was awesome but I was more impressed with games where he had 12-17 rebounds with 5 blocks.  His defense is actually what will set him apart from other centers as he develops.  A lot of them can score very few can defend ala David Robinson, OG Shaq, Hakeem, etc.

For all typing purposes let's call him Benga and they signed him for the rest of the year because Chris Mihm most likely will not be able to suit up for the entire year.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 10:21:55 AM »
For all typing purposes let's call him Benga and they signed him for the rest of the year because Chris Mihm most likely will not be able to suit up for the entire year.

I heard that announced in the game yesterday and my FIRST thought was regarding Bynum.  Is he possibly done for this year?  Then I thought about Mihm and wondered if the 5 would be too crowded but then I remembered Mihm is never actually healthy enough to suit up.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 10:36:09 AM »

I heard that announced in the game yesterday and my FIRST thought was regarding Bynum.  Is he possibly done for this year?  Then I thought about Mihm and wondered if the 5 would be too crowded but then I remembered Mihm is never actually healthy enough to suit up.

They are being quite hush hush about it so I don't know for sure.  When Kareem was on KLAC the other day talking about his new book, the Giants, and of course Bynum he said that he is coming along well.  They just don't want to rush the injury just to get him suited up.  They would like to take their time.   Mihm on the other hand doesn't even have a time table to come back.  Seems like anytime he gets close here comes a re-injury.

If anything Benga is strickly signed to foul Shaq in the playoffs and send him to the line.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 10:45:57 AM »
From what I have heard -- Bynum will be back this year -- but I think they signed Benga so they didn't have to rush his return.  Bynum is a huge key (as big as Kobe) to the Lakers success in the playoffs.  Gasol isn't a post defender -- that job is Bynum's (and he has been VERY effective in the post this year).  Gasol will do well in the defensive scheme as long as he isn't the last line of defense.  He will do well as a weak side defender -- we currently have 3 players in the top 30 in blocked shots (Bynum, Gasol and Turiaf) which is a stat that the Lakers haven't done well in for years.  Not that it's the bottom line for defense but it is encouraging as well as showing some of the reasons that Bynum is so important to the Lakers playoff hopes.  I like Turiaf as a back-up center -- he is undersized but he plays the game intelligently and doesn't fail to block out his man, play great defense and his energy and hustle are phenomenal.  Both Bynum and Turiaf are top 13 in block shots per 48 minutes.

If the Lakers can get healthy and stay healthy, they have a REAL shot at a championship title THIS year (not to mention years to come).  Bynum is a big key to those hopes so I'm glad that they plan to not rush his return -- make sure he is 100% before bringing him back.  The Lakers can be successful with their current squad in the regular season but the Lakers coaching staff are looking to the playoffs and that's why they signed Benga for the rest of the season, IMO.  He won't see a lot of playing time but he's just insurance.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 11:08:17 AM »
From ESPN:

Mike (LA, CA): There are rumors floating around Lakerland that Andrew Bynum's injury is actually worst than expected, with that being said can the Lakers contend for a title without him in the lineup this year?

Chris Broussard: I spoke with someone very close to Bynum a few days ago, and he said AB was fine and on schedule. Now, could he be lying? Possibly. But the few sources I've spoken with close to the situation have assured me he'll be back before the end of March. Without him, the Lakers would still be a contender, but I wouldn't pick them to win the West.