Author Topic: Sixers can move into the playoff picture with a win tonight.  (Read 3595 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers can move into the playoff picture with a win tonight.
« on: February 07, 2008, 12:42:01 PM »
They will move into a virtual tie with NJ for the 8th spot in the East with a win tonight, and although NJ is ahead by a game in the loss column, it probably won't last- their point differential is worse than the Sixers.

It's Miami without Shaq and adding Marion.  That's fine for the Sixers, who can't defend or play in the half court, but have discovered that they can run the fast break.

Miami also played last night and prior to the trade were the worst team in the league.

I'm not sure if I want the Sixers in the playoffs.  It would be better for them to get another high draft pick or two while they have the chance.  They can't win a title as they are and need some significant changes to be able to contend. That is, unless some rookies that sit on the bench show they are all star Centers or PF's.

Ordinarily, a coach would play his young guys knowing the losses are helping them gain experience.  The problem is the Sixers are a better team when the young players are on the floor.  At least they are entertaining to watch, when they run they put on a show.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers can move into the playoff picture with a win tonight.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 01:43:37 PM »
The question is do you think they look good enough to hold their spot?  Its still early.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 02:07:55 PM »
I honestly don't know.  They only play well enough to win against bad teams and no matter how well they play, they always seem to get edged out by the good teams, or simply thumped, like when they play Detroit.

The young group hasn't seen much time on the floor.  Cheeks has only recently discovered what happens to a bad team when he puts Williams, Young, Igoudala and Carney out with Dalembert.  I would say it comes down to the schedule and who they play. 

So far they have shown no ability to play with a team like the Celtics or Pistons and even demonstrate that they belong in the game.

That said, I don't think they're appreciably worse than Indiana, Chicago, New Jersey or Washington. They probably could get the 8th spot, and I think I'd rather they get a lottery pick.  They did this last year, missed the playoffs and got a later first round pick than the would have.  They got some good talent with Young and Smith, but they need someone with all-star talent to add to their front line.  If there is a player in the draft that's better then the free agents they could get, a pick is what they need.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 02:12:26 PM »
do you WANT them in playoff contention?  I sure don't.  They may be challenging for a playoff spot, but the fact remains that they're 11 games under .500, and a BAD team.  They can't even call themselves mediocre.  They're far away from being at that level yet.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 02:43:02 PM »
If I was a Philly fan I would be hoping for more ping pong balls.  Even a #10-11 pick should help more than being run off the court in 4 games by either Detroit or Boston.  If they seriously had the chance to get up to the 6th seed, maybe hope they make it.  If the best is a 7 or 8 seed; hope for the lottery.

They may be challenging for a playoff spot, but the fact remains that they're 11 games under .500

And what makes that really sad is that there are 2 western teams 8 games over .500 that are OUT of the playoff picture.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 03:58:22 PM »
do you WANT them in playoff contention?  I sure don't.  They may be challenging for a playoff spot, but the fact remains that they're 11 games under .500, and a BAD team.  They can't even call themselves mediocre.  They're far away from being at that level yet.

It's only because they are in the East that they have a chance at the playoffs at all.  They aren't a contender so I want the ping-pong balls- but the question is how much will it help us to get more ping pong balls?  Who is out there in the draft that will get us our big addition.  Who do you even think would move the Sixers up into contender status that is available through the draft or free agency?

If Cheeks keeps playing the young guys I think they are a .500 team or close to it, maybe even better.

The problem is there are only 5 teams in the Eastern conference that are clearly better than the Sixers.  Boston, Detroit, Orlando, Cleveland and Toronto. Right now Washington, Atlanta, New Jersey, Indiana and Chicago are all ahead of the Sixers, but there's only 5.5 games separating them and Washington is falling. The others aren't appreciably better. Can you count on three of those teams to keep playing better than the Sixers the rest of the way?  We're going to need to dump some games to stay out of the playoffs.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 04:10:39 PM by rickortreat »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 04:06:26 PM »
It's only because they are in the East that they have a chance at the playoffs at all.  They aren't a contender so I want the ping-pong balls- but the question is how much will it help us to get more ping pong balls?  Who is out there in the draft that will get us our big addition.  Who do you even think would move the Sixers up into contender status that is available through the draft or free agency?

If Cheeks keeps playing the young guys I think they are a .500 team or close to it, maybe even better.

Writers are saying this is the deepest PG draft in a long time.  Might make sense to deal Miller for something the Sixers need with the intent of drafting a PG.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 05:10:45 PM »

Writers are saying this is the deepest PG draft in a long time.  Might make sense to deal Miller for something the Sixers need with the intent of drafting a PG.

I think the Sixers ought to trade Miller -- even if it's just for draft picks and expiring contracts.  The Sixers have made some BAD contract moves in recent years -- fortunately they have been able to unload some of them (Thomas) but they need some higher draft picks to really reload and Miller might help make that happen.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 10:46:55 PM »
Miller IS an expiring contract, which is why the Sixers got him.  They also traded Korver for Giricek's expiring contract.  In theory they will try to package them and get Brand or J. O'Neil or some other free agent PF.

Maybe Brand will be the answer, but I'm not sure, picking up an injured player doesn't seem like the right idea.  I think O'Neill is too old for the Sixers.

Point is, they should make a trade that really benefits them.  They don't need a Point Guard, IMO, they have one in Lou Williams.  They could use another if they trade Miller, but they always have Kevin Ollie.

They are set at the 2 spot with Igoudala and Green.  Thad Young will become a decent NBA 3. They need upgrades at 4 and 5. Dalembert is really more of a backup than starting Center.  Jason Smith is ok as a 4, but could use a lot of improvement.

They are in danger of being good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to challenge.  They'll get stuck in no-man's land- never getting a good enough pick or being able to clear enough space to push the team up to elite status. Never bad enough to get that pick that will give them a LeBron or a Durant.

They have Miller, Giricek and Booth to trade and can give them up without affecting the team too negatively.  None of them fit into the Sixers future, but could help some teams now.  Miller will be worth more next year anyway, so there's no rush.  It's more a matter of who the Sixers can get for him.

With the win against Miami, they are now tied with 2 other teams for 9th place. 1/2 game out of the playoffs.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 04:43:53 AM »
Miller IS an expiring contract, which is why the Sixers got him

Miller has 1 more year left on his contract.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 08:16:47 AM »
Why would you want the Sixers to lock up a player like Brand? Brand is a great player (although one should look at his proneness to injury at this point) but I think the Sixers are too young to want a player like Brand at this point -- I think they are 2 or 3 years away from needing a player like Brand.  I think they would be better served to try to load up on some young players and then use cap room to bring in a top free agent.  I would suggest they look at the way that Portland has brought their team together -- with YOUNG talent carefully put together.  The ONLY way the Korver trade makes sense is if they are going to restock with young players.

Obviously, Rick, you have an overinflated opinion of some of the Sixers players.  I am glad you have realized that Dalembert isn't going to be an All-Star in this league but you've got still got some "homerism" issues when it comes to the Sixers.  Read Dabods posts a little more closely -- he's very objective for a fan.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 11:05:14 AM »
The Sixers have already restocked.  An all-star Center would put them right into the playoff's in the East.  If they don't have to give up any of their young talent in the process, they would be close to a contending team.

Until they get a post-up player, they can't tell how close they are.  They have no post presence, so it's hard to tell if their point guards can make an entry pass!

They are already one of the top rebounding teams in the league.  They loose when they play teams with better front lines and a decent defensive scheme.  The Sixers have no half-court offense to speak of, so they can use that player now. 

Whenever you build a team for a championship, you keep trying to add pieces until you get something- which is what the Suns and Lakers just did.  Philly has a lot of empty seats in the stands.  Putting a decent center on the team would change that.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 11:07:27 AM »
I did enjoy watching Igs and DWade go at it for a while.
Nice.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 05:22:02 PM »
NBA.com's play of the the night for last night was Rodney Carney posterizing Dwayne Wade.  Wade shouldn't have even tried to defend on the play.

Later on in the game Wade got him back, and then jawed at Carney and got a Technical.

At least they're entertaining.  And Carney has been getting a lot better too.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 10:32:33 AM »
The Sixers have already restocked.  An all-star Center would put them right into the playoff's in the East.  If they don't have to give up any of their young talent in the process, they would be close to a contending team.

Until they get a post-up player, they can't tell how close they are.  They have no post presence, so it's hard to tell if their point guards can make an entry pass!

They are already one of the top rebounding teams in the league.  They loose when they play teams with better front lines and a decent defensive scheme.  The Sixers have no half-court offense to speak of, so they can use that player now. 

Whenever you build a team for a championship, you keep trying to add pieces until you get something- which is what the Suns and Lakers just did.  Philly has a lot of empty seats in the stands.  Putting a decent center on the team would change that.

Okay, Rick, I can't believe that you think the Sixers are "restocked" -- I think some of the young players you think are so great are simply role players.  I think there are a couple of prospects but they are far from "restocked" -- I'd go through the list for you but you won't listen.  I think dabods has done that for you in the past too and you don't even listen to him.  All I should have to say is "remember your comments on Dalembert?"  That should be enough to help you realize that you get too high on players just because of the jersey they are wearing.  Nothing wrong with being a fan -- just stop and look at the players -- both strengths AND weaknesses and I think you will see that the Sixers could upgrade at several positions.