Author Topic: Any takers? - Artest as good as gone by trade deadline  (Read 3746 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Any takers? - Artest as good as gone by trade deadline
« on: February 06, 2008, 12:47:17 PM »
Geoff Petrie has all but sealed the deal on a Ron Artest trade. The ever-reticent GM for the Kings has flat out stated that Ron-Ron's fit with the Kings is not going to continue.

Artest will opt out of his contract this summer regardless. So Petrie is going to get what he can for him right now. That will be draft picks and young, developing talent; and possibly expiring contracts. He <could> wait until the season is over and try to do a sign and trade, but Artest has nixed that idea, because he announced he will be signing only with a team that has promise of going to the NBA championship.

So who out there would like to rent Ron Artest for the balance of this season to make a strong playoff run? The best bet might be the Denver Nuggets, who could offer Linas Kleiza and Eduardo Najera in return.

Kleiza is a bargain at just over 1 mil a year and has two years left on his contract. His play this season has definitely picked up as well. Najera's just shy of 5 million (this season) contract expires at the end of 2008. A draft pick or two would finish the deal. BTW, Artest is earning 7.8 million this season.

On a side note, Isiah Thomas of the Knicks is still interested in getting a point guard and has Mike Bibby on his short list. Unless he is willing to part with David Lee, Petrie probably would not be interested in taking over one of the other outragious contracts that Thomas has to offer for the Kings' point guard. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any takers? - Artest as good as gone by trade deadline
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 12:55:23 PM »
I'll take 'Testy or Antawn Jamison.

Spurs currently have 3 young NBADL All Stars to get the talks started. 
Spurs rookie Ian Mahinmi, the team?s first-round pick in 2006, Keith Langford and Jeremy Richardson.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 12:56:16 PM »
I was hoping youd make a thread about this as I read comments from Ron Ron saying that he felt him being in Sactown hurt the growth of their young talent...something you've said for a while now.  He said that both of those guys are really good friends of his and he rather see them grow as players, which is why he thinks he should be moved.  I know...hard to believe.  That is what he said though.

Two of the worst trades in NBA history have been made in the past week so why not?  Ron Artest and Brad Miller to Houston for Yao Ming?!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 12:56:47 PM »

Spurs rookie Ian Mahinmi, the team?s first-round pick in 2006, Keith Langford and Jeremy Richardson.

Jamison is going to become a free agent after the season......so ya.  I shouldn't have to spell it out for you.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 01:01:15 PM »

Jamison is going to become a free agent after the season......so ya.  I shouldn't have to spell it out for you.
B-Rad I've got time between drinks.
This is why the Wizards might very well want to move him before the dealine.  So they do get something for him if he does not reup.
Yes they might be able to do a sign n trade after the season.  Very doubtful.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 01:05:30 PM »
I wouldn't have traded Kwame Brown for Artest.  He's a bad, bad man and the definition of a cancer. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
I wouldn't have traded Kwame Brown for Artest.  He's a bad, bad man and the definition of a cancer. 
Of course not.  Thats why you have Stern, Jerry West and Collusion 2008 to trade him for Pao Gasol. :D :D

I'll roll the dice on Ron-Ron for one half a year and playoffs.
Kings 2006 he was smokin.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 01:18:23 PM »

B-Rad I've got time between drinks.
This is why the Wizards might very well want to move him before the dealine.  So they do get something for him if he does not reup.
Yes they might be able to do a sign n trade after the season.  Very doubtful.

I am glad we have finally got to the bottom of why your posts rarely make sense....YOU DRINK WHEN YOU POST.  Now that we got it out of the way...

Teams don't often like to trade for players they want to keep who have the ability to opt out at the end of the year.  Considering it doesn't look like the Kings are close to contending again there is a chance Jamison could venture off to another team that has a much better shot.  How would that benefit the Kings?  Sure maybe Washington would get something but what would Sacramento get in that case?  NADA.

But aside from that....um Ron Artest makes 8 million a year and Jamison makes double that.  More people would need to be included.  Artest + Bibby does not work either just to let you know before you throw it out there.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 01:49:28 PM »
Another classic.
Not talking about trading Artest for Jamison, 'Rad.

I was saying i would take Artest or Jamison on the Spurs for the 2008 playoff push.
Have a drink on me.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 01:59:37 PM »
Another classic.

I was saying i would take Artest or Jamison on the Spurs for the 2008 playoff push.
Have a drink on me.

Jamison said he wants to stay with the Wiz.  The Wiz are not in panic mode so they will probably not give him away for nothing.  Then again, the scandel of the Sternfish controlled Tim Duncan draft shows that anything is possible.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 02:09:24 PM »
Another classic.

Have a drink on me.

This thread is about The Kings and Ron Artest.  Sorry if I can stay on topic in a thread.  This is a classic...classic example of how you screw up peoples threads with your stupidity.  Ron Artest can't go to SA because they can't give up the right players to get em.  Think before you just throw crap out there.  They don't have the money for Jamison either.

Contribute to threads  or continue to just make Laker pictures all day.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 02:21:41 PM »
Jomal,
here is an older piece on Manhimi.  All indictions are he has continued to progress.
Had a cup of coffee with the Spurs for a few games this season.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071906.3C.BKNspurs.mahinmi.19a488e.html
Also agreed he is pretty much 6'11 now maybe will hit 7'0".
http://nbadraft.net/profiles/ianmahinmi.asp

Also some vid when he was just a 17 year old
http://spursline.pbwiki.com/Ian%20Mahinmi
Granted it's like dunking over WoW at the Y but still gives you an idea.
I have newer vid i just gotta find it.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 02:32:37 PM »
I was hoping youd make a thread about this as I read comments from Ron Ron saying that he felt him being in Sactown hurt the growth of their young talent...something you've said for a while now.  He said that both of those guys are really good friends of his and he rather see them grow as players, which is why he thinks he should be moved.  I know...hard to believe.  That is what he said though.

Yes, that article was in the Bee yesterday. Simply put, it would be near impossible to replace some of what Artest does on the basketball court, but John Salmon in particular has proven <when starting> this season, that he is a problem to defend and does a pretty good job at the other end as well. He is just not in Ron's strength category. Nor is Garcia, who is starting to show the promise expected of him, mainly in his confidence, which is way up when he gets minutes to play. Both of these guys have been the ones who have lost playing time with the return to semi-full roster strength for the Kings and who have been hurt by it.

Two of the worst trades in NBA history have been made in the past week so why not?  Ron Artest and Brad Miller to Houston for Yao Ming?!

Yowsa!!!!!
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 02:36:27 PM »

No No!!! For it to be comparable to what we just witnessed it would have to be Kenny Thomas, Quincy Douby, the rights to Damir Markota, and 2 second round picks for Yao Ming.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 02:36:34 PM »

Oh, come on, msc!!!!

Ron is trying to turn his life around. He has even given up his <ahem> musical career to focus solely on basketball.

He has even mentored young bucks on the Kings, like Kevin Martin, Francisco Garcia, and Quincey Douby, who all are now snarling at refs and shoving unsuspecting fans in the face as they leave the court. A Cancer??? Anything but!!! We Kings are all turning into mini-Ron's.