Author Topic: Gasol to Lakers for Kwame. Scam collusion trade pulled off  (Read 8928 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gasol to Lakers for Kwame. Scam collusion trade pulled off
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2008, 10:43:29 AM »
His free throw shooting is nothing to write home about but he'll make them when it counts.

Actually, his history indicates he's a choker, especially at the FT line.  That really doesn't matter on a team with Kobe, or so I hope.

Well when you consider Shaq's FT troubles and Kwame Brown shooting 45% from the position Gasol will be filling...I think they can deal with his %.

Skandery brings up exactly what Kareem did yesterday when they interviewed him...passing.  They feel Gasol is going to integrate well with the offense and with Bynum because of his passing ability.  They actually seem to be most happy with his passing and then with his face to the basket game.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2008, 11:34:06 AM »
" Marc Stein: Good one. Long term for the Lakers, I'd rather have Caron back. But in the short term, as an Andrew Bynum replacement, Pau is better."

WTF...I thought this guy had some sense but he says he rather see Caron on the Lakers then Pau Gasol?!  LOL ok.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2008, 12:10:32 PM »
Wish you Laker fans luck, but Pau Gasol, while a great player, is not necessarily going to change things up much for the team this year. It took Andrew Bynum something like four years to finally understand his place on the floor, and while Gasol's learning curve should be much shorter, he may not get there by the end of this year. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2008, 12:41:56 PM »
Randolph,
Welcome back.  Figures you would come out of hiding once Kobes .500 career (seems to have) finally ended. :D
I see the bandwaggoners have welcomed you back.  Oh what a glorious day! :D :D

With the day after the SuperBowl being traditionally one of the biggest marketing days of the year, along with getting all Laker Winnin Juice factories back into record breaking producion mode, I've been busy.  A plant has been put up on the Utah-Colorado border to capture fresh water for local delivery to one of Laker Winnin Juices hugest consumers.

I did think of you often Randolph.  For instance, when Fabs was starting and doing 30 minutes a game in the Finals sweep, i was sure you wanted to talk bout your prediction for Fabs.  Also, while this photo was for all at The Laker House, i thought it was especially for you.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2008, 12:46:41 PM »
Randolph,
Welcome back.  Figures you would come out of hiding once Kobes .500 career (seems to have) finally ended. :D
I see the bandwaggoners have welcomed you back.  Oh what a glorious day! :D :D

With the day after the SuperBowl being traditionally one of the biggest marketing days of the year, along with getting all Laker Winnin Juice factories back into record breaking producion mode, I've been busy.  A plant has been put up on the Utah-Colorado border to capture fresh water for local delivery to one of Laker Winnin Juices hugest consumers.

I did think of you often Randolph.  For instance, when Fabs was starting and doing 30 minutes a game in the Finals sweep, i was sure you wanted to talk bout your prediction for Fabs.  Also, while this photo was for all at The Laker House, i thought it was especially for you.

Try adding to conversations instead of taking from them for once.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2008, 01:02:41 PM »
no text. <sorry>
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2008, 02:34:15 PM »
Randolph,
Welcome back.  Figures you would come out of hiding once Kobes .500 career (seems to have) finally ended.
I see the bandwaggoners have welcomed you back.  Oh what a glorious day! 

Hmm, I have been a Laker fan since I was a kid -- I was on the old Times board and then the MSNBC board and routed for the Lakers.  I remember having discussions with many of the true fans on this board when the Lakers added Horace Grant to the squad about the impact that he would make.  Of course, I don't expect you to remember or even understand what it means to be a true fan of any team or any thing. 

As for Fabs and his 4/4 career production with the Spurs -- you must be jumping up and down telling the whole world "I told you so, I told you so."  I will say, that this is the best prediction you have ever made!  Anyone who thinks that Fabs is anything other than a stiff who can get easy baskets off of teams doubling up on TD is nuts (oops, I apologize for calling you nuts).

How many days did you miss of work when you saw this Laker trade?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2008, 03:20:54 PM »
Anyone who thinks that Fabs is anything other than a stiff who can get easy baskets off of teams doubling up on TD is nuts (oops, I apologize for calling you nuts).

LOL!  The harbinger of useless, Kwame, had better stats.  I think Reality is banking on F.abs becomming a dominant force once TD retires.  I can envision Flabs posting a monsterous statline of 7/5 in the years to come.  Long live the nothing stiff ala Rasho!

Flabs!
Flabs!
Flabs!
Flabs!
Flabs!
Flabs!
Flabs!
Flabs!
Flabs!
Flabs!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2008, 04:22:55 PM »
Wish you Laker fans luck, but Pau Gasol, while a great player, is not necessarily going to change things up much for the team this year. It took Andrew Bynum something like four years to finally understand his place on the floor, and while Gasol's learning curve should be much shorter, he may not get there by the end of this year. 

JoMal, this is a good point and I tend to feel the same way to an extent.  While many here in LA are already handing a title to the Lakers, I'm just excited to see Pau play his first game a Laker uniform tonight and watch the gelling process.  I don't expect it to be immediate; however, swapping Kwame for Pau, even if Pau doens't know what a triangle is, is a HUUGE upgrade.  It improves our cause this year, and I'm excited about next year and beyond.

I also don't think Bynum is a fair comparison regarding learnding  the triangle.  Bynum only played like 30 games in high school.  He never was a b-ball player and picked it up late in his life.  He came in to the league with a big, gangly, young, body and almost zero basketball experience.  The vast majority of his learning curve wasn't grasping the triangle, but rather learning the fundamentals of playing b-ball at the highest level in the world.  Pau, as a Euro, has solid fundamentals, was playing pro as a teen and won a championship with the Spanish national team.  Saying Pau has a significant headstart over Bynum would be an understatement. 

On top of that, post players have the easiest role in the triangle.  They just have to know which side and where (low or high) to post up.  Most of the rotations that create the "triangle" in the offense come from the guards and forwards, particulary the small.  Plus, if Shaq could grasp it ...  ;)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2008, 04:34:26 PM »
JoMal, this is a good point and I tend to feel the same way to an extent.  While many here in LA are already handing a title to the Lakers, I'm just excited to see Pau play his first game a Laker uniform tonight and watch the gelling process.  I don't expect it to be immediate; however, swapping Kwame for Pau, even if Pau doens't know what a triangle is, is a HUUGE upgrade.  It improves our cause this year, and I'm excited about next year and beyond.

I hear you msc.  After comming down off the Pau "high", I know that it's not a done deal.  If Kobe/Shaq/Karl/Payton couldn't win it all then almost any lineup can be beaten.  Don't know if you red the Tex Winter thread I posted but Tex stated the same thing.  The big man's role is the easiest in the triangle, pluse Pau is a good passer and should make the other Laker's lives alot easier.  The passing angle of the triangle is effective even if the post is NOT doubled.  It will be fun to watch how Pau fits in!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2008, 04:43:55 PM »

I hear you msc.  After comming down off the Pau "high", I know that it's not a done deal.  If Kobe/Shaq/Karl/Payton couldn't win it all then almost any lineup can be beaten.  Don't know if you red the Tex Winter thread I posted but Tex stated the same thing.  The big man's role is the easiest in the triangle, pluse Pau is a good passer and should make the other Laker's lives alot easier.  The passing angle of the triangle is effective even if the post is NOT doubled.  It will be fun to watch how Pau fits in!

It will be fun just to see Gasol's eyes gleam when his passes result in points. Probably did not get that feeling all that much in Memphis unless he was able to pass to Miller.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2008, 05:18:22 PM »
It will be fun just to see Gasol's eyes gleam when his passes result in points. Probably did not get that feeling all that much in Memphis unless he was able to pass to Miller.

It will be fun just to see Gasol NOT single handedly lose a game for the Lakers.  No dumb "and-one" fouls that lead to a missed FT that leads to a missed box out that turns into a 4 point play. 

I can only hope.  :-\
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2008, 06:47:37 PM »
^^WOW, don't forget about the turnover on the next play on the opposite end of the court. 

Seriously, Kwame was doing more harm than good since his return from injury.  What little defensive skills he had gained were gone ... maybe he was still a little bit hurt.  I don't know. 

Regardless, I would have traded him for a large beer at the game, but I guess I'll have to do with a 19/9 all-star-level big man instead.