Author Topic: Spurs off to bad start on long road trip  (Read 1969 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs off to bad start on long road trip
« on: January 29, 2008, 03:05:29 PM »
Rough start for "Rodeo Trip"
Wire Reports - Comtex AP
Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Utah Jazz were ready to push back this time against the San Antonio Spurs.

The Jazz, who were dominated by the Spurs in the Western Conference finals last spring, never trailed Monday night and held off the defending NBA champions 97-91. The game was full of collisions, hard fouls and some verbal exchanges and the Jazz countered everything the Spurs had.

Deron Williams had 11 points and 14 assists and Carlos Boozer and Andrei Kirilenko scored 23 points each for Utah, which won its fifth straight and improved to 10-2 in January.

The Spurs committed 20 turnovers and were just 13-for-38 from the field in the second half.

``I think our team is playing well because that's what happens when you play better defensively,'' Utah coach Jerry Sloan said. ``It's a lot of work to play defense.''

Tim Duncan had 26 points and 11 rebounds, but was the only San Antonio starter to score more than five points. Williams smothered Tony Parker and held him to five points and three assists.

``They were better,'' said Manu Ginobili, who led the Spurs with 29 points. ``We turned the ball over way too much. Twenty times against the Jazz is really hard to overcome.''

The Spurs finished with 11 assists, three fewer than Williams. Boozer had seven assists and Kirilenko added four steals for the Jazz, who played a much rougher game than they did in the one-sided playoff series.

``We've been aggressive,'' Kirilenko said. ``With teams like San Antonio you need to be aggressive. You can't let them feel free on the floor, because they'll destroy you.''

The Spurs were opening a nine-game road trip, which was to continue Tuesday night in Seattle and not end until Feb. 13.

``We need to go out there and play well and get some confidence going,'' Duncan said. ``We've got a tough stretch here with so many games on the road. We've got to start somewhere.''

Somewhere else.

Every time the Spurs made a run, the Jazz came up with a big defensive play to end it. San Antonio tied it three times, but never took a lead.

In the fourth quarter, Ginobili drove for the basket, only to get knocked to the court in a collision with Boozer. Ginobili slowly got up and made both free throws to cut Utah's lead to 85-79, then Duncan scored again to get the Spurs within four.

Ginobili converted a three-point play after getting knocked to the court again and cut Utah's lead to 91-87. San Antonio's Ime Udoka had some words for Boozer as the two were separated and given technicals with 2:04 left in the game.

Udoka wasn't finished complaining and got another technical with 1:27 remaining as he said something as he passed referee Jim Clark. Kyle Korver made the free throw to put Utah ahead 92-89, then Matt Harpring grabbed a crucial offensive rebound with 1:11 left to keep the ball in Utah's hands.

The Jazz kept passing as the shot clock wound down and finally got it out to Korver, who hit a 3-pointer with 48 seconds left to put Utah up 95-89.

``Even though they were hitting some shots, we stayed calm and we were able to execute down the stretch and get some of the shots we wanted,'' Williams said.

The Spurs never recovered after a 13-2 run by Utah late in the third quarter as the Spurs got frustrated with some of the officiating and their own sloppy play. San Antonio turned it over six times in the third and was just 6-for-19 in the period.

Ronnie Brewer drove for a layup that somehow made it through several Spurs' hands before dropping through the net. Ginobili lost the ball under the Spurs' basket and the call went to the Jazz. Williams took it in for a layup that bounced out of the hoop, but Brewer was already in the air above everyone else to dunk the rebound.

The Spurs continued to come unraveled on the next possession when Kirilenko sneaked behind Ginobili, stole the ball and took it in for a reverse dunk. Boozer followed that with a layup, capping an 8-0 run.

Notes: The Jazz have won nine straight at home. ... Boston Red Sox manager Terry Francona, in town for a fundraiser, attended the game and sat in the third row. ... Duncan was called for a technical for complaining after Utah's Jarron Collins was called for a loose-ball foul with 5:45 left in the third.

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spurs off to bad start on long road trip
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 07:52:52 PM »
Bad road trip?  They are playing sub .500 ball over the last 13 I believe or at least right near it.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 03:38:51 PM »
Losing to the 10-35 Sonics didn't help much either, are the Spurs to starting to show their age?
Dan

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 05:03:23 PM »
They tend to do this every year, they have a good squad that should be winning more games and yet they play like a bunch morons and start losing games they could be winning.  It usually changes though as the playoffs get closer.  Hopefully Dan is wrong in that they are showing the age factor now.  At this point I can't say they look like they will be repeating as Champs....Hope I won't have to wait until 2009 for the next title run... ::)
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 05:14:14 PM »
At this point I can't say they look like they will be repeating as Champs....

You can take solace in that it doesn't look like anyone is stepping up to take their place in the West anyway.  I think alomst everyone on this board has "been there, done that" with the Spurs near mid-season pattern.  Then again everyone under the sun has "been there, done that" with the Spurs reapeating as champs.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 05:52:31 PM »
Ian Manhimi is gonna come in ballin.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 06:49:29 PM »

You say this about EVERYONE they add.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 12:58:29 PM »

lol

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 01:04:20 PM »

SPURSX3
lol

Indeed i do. :D

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 03:01:06 PM »
 :o

Well then this must be a sign that the rapture is coming to Reality!!! 

All I got to say is I hope he can deliver, our team needs a spark right now...

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 04:21:07 PM »

SPURSX3
lol

Indeed i do. :D

You also said Brent Barry would be a major contributor and Michael Finley wouldn't.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 04:24:10 PM »
You also said Brent Barry would be a major contributor and Michael Finley wouldn't.

Fasten your seatbelt, a spinning twisty of a large magnitude is comming.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 09:59:30 AM »
D-League All-Stars: Spurs rookie Ian Mahinmi, the team?s first-round pick in 2006, has been named to the NBA Developmental League All-Star team. Mahinmi, who has been playing with the Spurs affiliate in Austin, will play for the Blue Team in the D-League exhibition Feb. 16 in New Orleans.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 10:26:08 AM »

Fasten your seatbelt, a spinning twisty of a large magnitude is comming.

I forgot Reality's other technique of ignoring the question or pretending he didn't read it because twisty-spinny of his OWN words only confuses him.   :D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"