Author Topic: Is New Orleans for real?  (Read 2675 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Is New Orleans for real?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 08:37:48 PM »
And I have to apologize for not continuing this discussion, but I will be gone for a while and won't be back until February 4th.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 08:53:14 PM »
This is not brain surgery, just common sense on how to use a sharpshooter. His outside shooting is just one aspect of his game; why limit him on how else he can score?   

They aren't limiting him!  They are utilizing his skills as their NUMBER 3 OPTION.  His shot attempts as a third option are in line with 3rd options on what are generally considered the 3 best teams in the west.  His scoring average is in line with other number 3 options.  His team has the second best record in the NBA...so obviously they are successful. 

Your right...it's not brain surgery.  It is a coach utilizing his mix of players in the optimal manner for the greatest team success...and doing a damn good job at it.  And the players accepting their roles while helping the team win.  Peja's role is to be the third option and he is succeeding very well at it.  Why ask for more?

And I have to apologize for not continuing this discussion, but I will be gone for a while and won't be back until February 4th.

It's a shame you won't be around.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 11:19:58 AM »
102-78 over Spurs after being tied at halftime would suggest New Orleans is for real.
Tim Dunkan and Fabs thourougly outplayed by David West for one.

Of course the Spurs are just waiting to flip the switch. ;) ::)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 03:26:52 PM »
Will Portland be content to merely wait till next year with Oden?

No, I don't they will be content to wait for Oden, but I don't think they are a real western contender.  They have made a huge leap forward, and they some really talented young players.  That though is the big issue.  They will require some really impressive performances on a consistent basis from some very young guys.  Aldridge is going to be good, but he is still very inconsistent.  Martell Webster is making good progress, but he has a LONNNNNGGGGG way to go.  Jarrett Jack is inconsistent, as is Sergio Rodriguez, and Channing Frye.
I didn't think he would be this good or this consistent, but Brandon Roy is for real.  I don't worry to much about him on any given night.  Travis Outlaw is also becoming a very solid NBA scorer, with a good solid all around game.
Next year with Oden playing full time I think they could go deeper.  This year though I am projecting a 44-38 record, which is 12 wins more than last year, and much better than I could have hoped for.  I was hoping for 44 wins with Oden.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 01:36:15 PM »
Just a couple thoughts.  I really like how the Hornets are playing.  Props to Byron Scott.  You know that Atlanta Hawks fans (all 73 of them) are just infuriated with the failure to pick Chris Paul. 

David West seems like a classic example of a guy who didn't generate much buzz because he stayed in college.  I thought he seemed like he'd be a solid player, though I didn't expect him to make an all star squad so quickly. Danny Granger in Indy seems like a similar case.

If I can pat myself on the back a bit for being a fan of West early on, I must also mention I thought Peja was just about washed up.  He's surprised me this year.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
Just a couple thoughts.  I really like how the Hornets are playing.  Props to Byron Scott.  You know that Atlanta Hawks fans (all 73 of them) are just infuriated with the failure to pick Chris Paul. 

David West seems like a classic example of a guy who didn't generate much buzz because he stayed in college.  I thought he seemed like he'd be a solid player, though I didn't expect him to make an all star squad so quickly. Danny Granger in Indy seems like a similar case.

If I can pat myself on the back a bit for being a fan of West early on, I must also mention I thought Peja was just about washed up.  He's surprised me this year.

Well...to be fair to yourself he was driving down washed up lane up until this year.  It seemed like he left his skills in Sacramento after he moved.

I love watching Chris Paul play basketball.  Last year at Staples Center I watched him seriously run circles around the Lakers up close, it was very impressive and I even caught myself rooting for him a bit much to the dismay of the Laker fans around me.  What can I say?  I appreciate good basketball.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 02:56:12 PM »

Add many many Portland Trailblazer fans as well.  At least we were able to get our big 3 because we were stupid enough to pass on Paul, and as a result we sucked so bad we got lucky and drafted high at the right time.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil