Author Topic: Is New Orleans for real?  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Is New Orleans for real?
« on: January 24, 2008, 12:42:20 PM »
With all the Western up and comers, is West Conf current leader New 'Oleans going to take it to the next playoff level?

With the Lakers best player down, can they maintain a .500 clip and comeback playoff strong with Bynum?  And Az off the bench.

Will Portland be content to merely wait till next year with Oden?

Will Utah make another Finals appearance, or was last year just an almost everything went playoff right year?

Is Houston anything more then 1st round fodder?

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is New Orleans for real?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 08:29:13 PM »
I have seen NO 4 times this year, and they are legit.  Chris Paul is probably the best PG in the game right now.  David West is really really good.  Tyson Chandler is a beast, an absolute beast.  Mo Pete knows his role.  Peja is a 3rd option as a shooter.  It is not an accident that they are playing as well as they are.

They whine more than any team I have seen all year, and I don't know how they will handle the pressure of the playoffs as a result, but right now, they should make the WC semis easily.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 08:47:04 PM »
I agree with ziggy.  N.O. is for real.  Paul is a stud, West is a stud, Chandler is even playing great, and then you throw in Peja.  They have a nice team with good balance of stars and guys who know their role.  I'm a big fan of Byron Scott as a coach and was really hoping the Lakers would have gone after him when they had the chance.  He's a big reason for their success, IMO, and I don't think he'll let them lose focus. 

Plus, we're near the halfway point of the season.  It's one thing to come out of the gates strong and put together a nice record the first 10 - 15 games, but I don't think there are any pretenders 42 games in.  Maybe in the East, but not with the competition in the West.  N.O. is legit. 

I'm real happy for Portland too.  What the GM has done up there is nothing short of amazing.  To turn it around that quickly with so much youth ... and good character guys.  Roy is a stud, I love his game and him as a human being ... even if he is a Husky ;) 

I think Portland will remain competitive and make the playoffs, but I doubt they will go deep this year.  I attribute this mostly to youth.  Look out next year and many years to come though as Oden gets in to it and the young guys get more experience.  It's a fact of the NBA that teams, especially young teams, have to take their lumps in the playoffs to reach that next level.  I think they'll do this over the next couple of years and then look out!  They are the team of the future in the West for years to come. 

Utah is tough to pin down this year, I've seen games where they look like they'll give the Spurs a run in the WC Finals, then sometimes they look like they'll battle GS or the Lakers for the 8th seed.  Granted I've only been able to watch them a handful of times this year, but that's just based on what I've seen. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 02:01:43 AM »
Any shouts out for Nate McMillan?  I've only seen schooches of Blazer games but they looked very good.  Nates influence?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 07:33:48 AM »
Yes the Hornets are for real.  They showed glimpses of this last year until injuries derailed them.  West missed like 20-25 games.  Peja missed the season basically.  Paul missed games.  Chandler just started to finally grow into his potential.  BJackson was injured.

There are two things for extended success this year.  One is that there is still half a season left.  There are too many games and a very competitive west to guarantee anything.  Also I would have to question whether the youngsters truly understand that the road to the title is a marathon not a sprint.  The Spurs & Mavs have shown that burning your team out for best record is not necessarily the best idea.  Avery has backed off on Dallas some this year and I think you can see that they are starting to roung into shape.

The second is matchups.  This year's western conf playoffs are going to be decided more by matchups than anything else IMO.  Injuries could make a team like the Lakers or Nuggets end up as the 8th seed.  And if healthy when the playoffs start could be a very bad matchup for the #1 seed.  And for that reason I don't think any of the top 4 seeds can assume that they will automatically make it to the second round.  Playoff experience is going to be big this year.

I haven't seen the Hornets this year but I will tomorrow night.  The game is part of my 10 game package.  My only concern is that the Spurs will still be tired from the back-to-back they just finished.  And that the Spurs haven't played a 48 minute game since November.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 12:33:17 PM »
What do you mean by real?  Like a legit contender?  I would say no.  They don't quite have the defense to do it yet.  They tend to want to out score you and that wouldn't work against the elite teams in the west.  Plus they lack a big man who is going to be able to challenge the likes of Amare, Yao, and Tim Duncan both on the backboard and in the paint.

Are they a good team?  No doubt.  Anytime you have a player as special as Chris Paul controlling the rock you are going to be a solid team.  He gets you a lot of easy baskets just by pure talent.  His passing ability right now is 2nd only to Steve Nash (IMO).  He can also score if he really wanted to.  He could drop 40 a game if need be.  Pretty versatile offensive player.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 12:37:08 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 12:44:46 PM »
I don't know. Any team that essentially ignores a Peja Stojakovic in its offense can't be taken too seriously as a contender. While Paul is a stud and Chandler is playing very well, you would think that an outside scoring option like Peja would play a more noticable roll on that team, but his stats only appear worthy every third game. Peja is taking two fewer shots a game off his career average and two fewer free throws a game, which translates to not putting him seriously in the offense. Peja shoots 90% from the line. You would think they would run a few plays for him going to the basket. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 12:56:01 PM »
I don't know. Any team that essentially ignores a Peja Stojakovic in its offense can't be taken too seriously as a contender. While Paul is a stud and Chandler is playing very well, you would think that an outside scoring option like Peja would play a more noticable roll on that team, but his stats only appear worthy every third game. Peja is taking two fewer shots a game off his career average and two fewer free throws a game, which translates to not putting him seriously in the offense. Peja shoots 90% from the line. You would think they would run a few plays for him going to the basket. 

IMO Peja lost alot of his appeal durring his stint in Indy. 
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 01:04:26 PM »

You mean the Kings version of Peja...if so, I agree.  The Peja on their squad is still a good shooter but he doesn't move without the ball like he use to.  Sure maybe the offense is not as fluid but he has a more creative passer on his squad now that will get him the ball if he moved.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 01:31:17 PM »
IMO Peja is perfectly filling his role on the Hornets.  He is the #3 option on offense behind Paul & West (severely under appreciated) and is shooting a CAREER best from behind the arc.  And make no mistake that is where NO wants him.  If Peja starts cutting to the hoop regularly all he will do is clog the lane for Paul & West.  Both Peja and MoPete are there to be long range snipers.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 01:45:17 PM »
IMO Peja is perfectly filling his role on the Hornets.  He is the #3 option on offense behind Paul & West (severely under appreciated) and is shooting a CAREER best from behind the arc.  And make no mistake that is where NO wants him.  If Peja starts cutting to the hoop regularly all he will do is clog the lane for Paul & West.  Both Peja and MoPete are there to be long range snipers.

That is justified, but Peja is hardly one dimensional. His overall shooting percentage is below his career average, though he is shooting his best from long range. I just think that he is more useful if kept as part of the scoring offense more then N.O. seems to think and he is big enough to post up many other forwards in the League. That would make Chandlers efforts that easier around the hoop.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 10:19:29 AM »

That is justified, but Peja is hardly one dimensional. His overall shooting percentage is below his career average, though he is shooting his best from long range. I just think that he is more useful if kept as part of the scoring offense more then N.O. seems to think and he is big enough to post up many other forwards in the League. That would make Chandlers efforts that easier around the hoop.

Shots per game and minute:
Paul   16.08     .43
West  16.88     .46
Peja   12.14     .38
Chandler  8.13  .23
MoPete    7.59  .30   (plays 10 minutes per game less than the other starters)

For comparison sake:
Parker     15.62    .45
Duncan   15.16    .45
Manu      13.33    .45
Finley       9.95    .37

So because he is an ex-King he should automatically replace the top 2 options on his team.  But as the #3 option his team is leading the VERY, VERY competitive west.  You should check with Reality and see if he has an opening for head coach on his virtual team.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 04:12:35 PM »

Paul   16.08     .43
West  16.88     .46
Peja   12.14     .38
Chandler  8.13  .23

For comparison sake:
Parker     15.62    .45
Duncan   15.16    .45
Manu      13.33    .45
Finley       9.95    .37

So because he is an ex-King he should automatically replace the top 2 options on his team.  But as the #3 option his team is leading the VERY, VERY competitive west.  You should check with Reality and see if he has an opening for head coach on his virtual team.

...and for comparison sake you just happen to use the Spurs. Good thinking, there, Lurker.

And assuming that I am implying he should replace the top 2 options. Verrrrry inciteful as well.

Honestly, Reality does not have to drop to this level of in-depth reasoning to make more sense.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 07:08:17 PM »

Paul   16.08     .43
West  16.88     .46
Peja   12.14     .38
Chandler  8.13  .23

For comparison sake:
Parker     15.62    .45
Duncan   15.16    .45
Manu      13.33    .45
Finley       9.95    .37

...and for comparison sake you just happen to use the Spurs. Good thinking, there, Lurker.

And assuming that I am implying he should replace the top 2 options. Verrrrry inciteful as well.

Honestly, Reality does not have to drop to this level of in-depth reasoning to make more sense.

I can use another team if you would like...I think the results will be similar.  Peja is the #3 option.  He is third in shot attempts.  Just exactly how should he become more involved in the offense without taking away from the first two options?  It doesn't take Reality level twists of logic to deduce that increasing Peja's role in the offense means moving him up to replace one of the top 2 options.  Since he is already the third option by LOGIC to be a larger part of the offense means he would have to supplant someone above him.  Try DUH! next time.

I would use the Kings but their rotations have been inconsistant to say it nicely.  How about the Suns?

Amare    14.3     .45
Barbosa  13.6     .45
Nash      12.2     .36
Marion    12.6    .34

Or maybe the Mavs?
Dirk          16.2    .44
Howard     16.2    .45
Terry        11.4    .37
Harris       10.1    .33
Stack        8.7     .36

So on a shot per minute basis Peja averages attempts more than the 3rd option for either the Suns or Mavs.  So just exactly how should he become more involved?
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 08:36:47 PM »
I can use another team if you would like...I think the results will be similar.  Peja is the #3 option.  He is third in shot attempts.  Just exactly how should he become more involved in the offense without taking away from the first two options?  It doesn't take Reality level twists of logic to deduce that increasing Peja's role in the offense means moving him up to replace one of the top 2 options.  Since he is already the third option by LOGIC to be a larger part of the offense means he would have to supplant someone above him.  Try DUH! next time.

Gee, wouldn't that imply that the Hornets must run a three man offensive team? Maybe he could take some shots that are going to options BELOW Peja, or is that something that does not compute?

Anyway, I have no arguement about how many shots per game he gets. See below.

I would use the Kings but their rotations have been inconsistant to say it nicely.  How about the Suns?

Sorry, but the Kings' rotations have for most of the first halve of the season been dictated by injuries. They have pretty much solidified their bench and starting line-ups now that Artest, Bibby, and Martin are all playing together again. Nice try, but a quick perusal of the box scores the last seven games or so would have spared you this rather embarrassing misstatement.   

[qoute]
Amare    14.3     .45
Barbosa  13.6     .45
Nash      12.2     .36
Marion    12.6    .34

Or maybe the Mavs?
Dirk          16.2    .44
Howard     16.2    .45
Terry        11.4    .37
Harris       10.1    .33
Stack        8.7     .36

So on a shot per minute basis Peja averages attempts more than the 3rd option for either the Suns or Mavs.  So just exactly how should he become more involved?
[/quote]

Ah, yes. Thanks for looking these stats up. Shot attempts are so interesting to compare, after all.

But I really do not have much to say about the NUMBER of shots he takes in games, but where in the offense he is getting them so he MAKES more of them or gets to line for free throws, where he MAKES over 90%. His improved utility on the Hornets would not be hard to tweak if they ran the plays for him that generates points in the paint, either scoring or at the line. Peja was comfortable in the Kings' offense because he was used to maximize his shot selection. This is not brain surgery, just common sense on how to use a sharpshooter. His outside shooting is just one aspect of his game; why limit him on how else he can score?