Author Topic: Deja vu all over again. Lakers rolling hot then the injury bug hits! Bynum hurt.  (Read 10030 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Ahh your memory must be slipping more then usual.  When Bynum was barely playing last year they were in the same position as they are right now.

Don't throw FACTS at Reality, he doesn't know how to deal with them.

Kwame will now be pushed back into the starting lineup with heavy minutes and he usually doesn't respond well.  Last night the commentators said something I thought was funny but in this crazy world could be spot on.  They said Kwame fears the FT line so much that his offense is geared towards AVOIDING the FT line at any cost.  While I agree that he rarely looks for his shot, he seems resigned to getting fouled so he doesn't give much effort into making a shot, just expects contact and a foul.  Kinda the opposite of what a poor FT shooter would want.  With Mihm out who plays C for the Lakers other than Kwame?  Turiaf is a great bench/hustle player but much too small to play C unless they go into Golden State mode.  It will be interesting to see what the Lakers do with only Kwame available to play C.  It will be interesting what approach the Lakers take when they play Turiaf at C.

It's funny you say that because I was thinking the same thing last night.  You would think Kwame loves the FT line because he always expects to get fouled.  To the point where he misses easy shots thinking contact is coming.  The one and only time this season I've seen him go up and actually get fouled to the point where he couldn't make the shot was last night when he got hit in the eye and missed the dunk.

Turiaf is too small to play center except if the Lakers play the Suns or Golden State (which they play PHX next Thursday).  While he is smaller he actually controls the paint pretty well at times.   

If Kwame could channel himself in the PHX series 2 years ago and play defense like that all the time then maybe the Lakers wouldn't have to worry.  I don't think at this point anyone expects him to make shots or be any kind of offensive threat.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
He's out 8 weeks with a bone bruise on his knee cap...that suck's pretty bad.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Yes, this sucks.  On the bright side, it's not a torn ligament which would have been season ending.  And as jn points out, Bynum is young and will hopefully make a full recovery in a relatively timely manner.

I'd love to feel sorry for you, JoMal.  But I'm an Oregon Ducks alumn ... so between last years Lakers, this seasons Ducks and now this ... I've got enough self-pity for my teams recent injury misfortunes to wallow in. 

I haven't been around much lately but every time I check in Reality has posted some moronic photoshopped image.  I'm thinking someone needs to have their photoshop privileges revoked ... or at least a suspension   ;)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Touche' MSC
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Yes, this sucks.  On the bright side, it's not a torn ligament which would have been season ending.  And as jn points out, Bynum is young and will hopefully make a full recovery in a relatively timely manner.

I'd love to feel sorry for you, JoMal.  But I'm an Oregon Ducks alumn ... so between last years Lakers, this seasons Ducks and now this ... I've got enough self-pity for my teams recent injury misfortunes to wallow in. 

I haven't been around much lately but every time I check in Reality has posted some moronic photoshopped image.  I'm thinking someone needs to have their photoshop privileges revoked ... or at least a suspension   ;)

Welcome back, msc. It is always nice to see some reason come back to the board.

You DID say you have converted to a Kings fan, didn't you?

Low attendance, top four players (at the beginning of the season, at any rate) out at the same time due to injuries, and potential trades "for the future" impending sometime in the next four weeks. Isn't it great to be a King's fan.

The Maloofs advertised an "open" practice over the weekend to generate fan interest in the team again. Over 9,000 fans came to the free scrimage. With Sacramento near the bottom in attendance this year, it is clearly a message being sent about the cost of NBA tickets in a down economy, and for a product we have yet to see at full strength this season. While it bears some getting used to in paying the ticket prices for this Kings team in spite of the team being amazingly entertaining, there really are no stars to hang your cheers on around here.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks, JoMal.  No, it hasn't gotten that bad for me yet to make the conversion to a Kings fan <shudder>.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel bad for you guys.  The league was a better place when the Kings were competative. 

I hear you regarding ticket prices.  I'm a die hard fan and bought tickets before I bought a car, a house, etc. (yes, I'm an idiot, I know).  I'm with my team through thick and thin, but it is frustrating when you spend a lot of money, sit in traffic for 1.5 hours to travel 10 miles and you feel the product is inferior.  I don't know the prices at Arco, but Staples has gotten ridiculous.  Much of it is a league wide thing, but in LA there are a ton of people and corps with more money than they know what to do with, which drives the prices up even higher.  The first two tiers of Staples are pretty much unaffordable to the average fan, which is a shame. 

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
It probably is not quite that bad in Sacramento yet, but the average price of a ticket is somewhere above $52.00, not including parking, concessions, and other sundries. As for the pricier floor seats, somewhere in the Maloof's history must be a showbiz connection, because lots of the invitees down in their front row seats are celebs of some sort. At every game. I think Arnie is also responsible for that phenomenon. The point being, you get camera scans of Theus and the bench and your eye gets riveted to the buxom blond sitting behind the King's bench instead. There seem to be many buxom babes hanging around courtside these days. Rather distracting. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:44:04 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
I all too familiar with those "distractions".   ;)

I'm glad you mentioned Theus.  I had serious doubts about this guy as a coach, but I must say I think he's done a great job considering the injuries the Kings have faced this year.  Granted their record isn't good, but they've remained very competitive in most of the games/highlights I've followed this year.  What is your opinion of Reggie thus far?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
I all too familiar with those "distractions".   ;)

I'm glad you mentioned Theus.  I had serious doubts about this guy as a coach, but I must say I think he's done a great job considering the injuries the Kings have faced this year.  Granted their record isn't good, but they've remained very competitive in most of the games/highlights I've followed this year.  What is your opinion of Reggie thus far?

I agree with you on this one msc.  I had my doubts, especially since there was other coaches I thought were better on the market but he's had nothing to work with.  To get a win like they did last night with key players out it says something.  I'm not saying he's the greatest coach or even better then say Larry Brown would could have filled the spot but he's doing things right.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Theus is far better then I ever would have anticipated he would be. He still needs to communicate better with his players regarding his intentions (ie - he told the injured starting players via the media <Martin, Bibby, and Artest> that he planned on bringing them off the bench once they healed from their various injuries instead of first clearing it with them - hearing about it in this way was not received well from the players, though they accepted the decision) but overall his message is getting to the players regarding exactly what he wants from them.

He not only preaches defense, he teaches it. At the beginning of training camp, his message was clear - expect playing time based on defensive intensity, period. Offense would come from playing solid defense.  He told Martin, Bibby, and Artest that their improved defense would dictate the amount of playing time they will get once back from the IL. (Like Artest would care)

Martin may have been annoyed by that. However, if it was motivation Theus was looking for by saying such things, it worked. In two games since his return, Martin's combined box score is astounding:

Total minutes played (over these two games) - 55:69

Shots taken - 25

Shots made - 21

Three point shooting - 3 for 3

Foul shooting - 19 out of 21

Total points - 64

So for about 28 minutes per game, Martin has averaged 32 points - off the bench. This was even more amazing in watching him against the Mavericks last night. It should not look that easy scoring, but Kevin was floating around the Dallas players like it was a lay-up drill.

Can't say all this can be laid at Theus' feet, but Martin is not the only King whose confidence has escalated this season. Garcia is hitting game winning shots regularly (three so far this season), John Salmon is the MVP of the team the first halve of the season, and Quincy Douby is starting to look a bit like Allen Iverson in creating his shot. Brad Miller looks ten years younger and actually has hops. It has not translated into many wins, but frankly I was not expecting this many wins to begin with. Something has made the Kings players more interested in the game this year and I think that has to be Reggie Theus.     

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Theus is far better then I ever would have anticipated he would be. He still needs to communicate better with his players regarding his intentions (ie - he told the injured starting players via the media <Martin, Bibby, and Artest> that he planned on bringing them off the bench once they healed from their various injuries instead of first clearing it with them - hearing about it in this way was not received well from the players, though they accepted the decision) but overall his message is getting to the players regarding exactly what he wants from them.

He not only preaches defense, he teaches it. At the beginning of training camp, his message was clear - expect playing time based on defensive intensity, period. Offense would come from playing solid defense.  He told Martin, Bibby, and Artest that their improved defense would dictate the amount of playing time they will get once back from the IL. (Like Artest would care)

Martin may have been annoyed by that. However, if it was motivation Theus was looking for by saying such things, it worked. In two games since his return, Martin's combined box score is astounding:

Total minutes played (over these two games) - 55:69

Shots taken - 25

Shots made - 21

Three point shooting - 3 for 3

Foul shooting - 19 out of 21

Total points - 64

So for about 28 minutes per game, Martin has averaged 32 points - off the bench. This was even more amazing in watching him against the Mavericks last night. It should not look that easy scoring, but Kevin was floating around the Dallas players like it was a lay-up drill.

Can't say all this can be laid at Theus' feet, but Martin is not the only King whose confidence has escalated this season. Garcia is hitting game winning shots regularly (three so far this season), John Salmon is the MVP of the team the first halve of the season, and Quincy Douby is starting to look a bit like Allen Iverson in creating his shot. Brad Miller looks ten years younger and actually has hops. It has not translated into many wins, but frankly I was not expecting this many wins to begin with. Something has made the Kings players more interested in the game this year and I think that has to be Reggie Theus.     

It doesn't really help when most of the Western Conference teams are playing at high level and your team is missing key players.  In fact it really sucks when your division has the team with the two best records in the west.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
In fact it really sucks when your division has the team with the two best records in the west.

Wah, wah, wah. 

---or---

Been there, done that.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
In fact it really sucks when your division has the team with the two best records in the west.

Wah, wah, wah. 

---or---

Been there, done that.

Yea but your team has been one of the top 2.  Im talking about have your team being at the bottom of the pack not the top!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Yea but your team has been one of the top 2.  Im talking about have your team being at the bottom of the pack not the top!

The Spurs have also been fortunate with injuries.  They have not had their key players go down and not be available durring the playoffs with the exception of 2000.  I would have loved to have seen the Lakers go up against the Spurs that year since TD and DRob did one of the best jobs ever on Shaq, second ONLY to Vlade.  One really good thing about the Spurs is that they now have their own version of the Big 3.  While losing TD would be a death sentence, IMO Parker or Manu could step up if either of those two got injured.  Parker being slow and steady and Manu being a spark, either guy could take over the other guys role.

I really wanted to see how the Lakers did against the Mavs because it seems that only the Spurs have the Lakers out matched, everyone else is very vunerable, possibly even money, vs the Lakers in the playoffs.  We will have to wait until the playoffs since Bynum will come back slowly and not be asked to go 100% until the playoffs.  IMO if Bynum is not 1,000% he should not play, no need to risk a permenant injury on a guy that's so young and is ALLEGEDLY the next great center.  While I am very happy with his progress this year, 13/10 is NOT exactly something to write home about, Laker fans are just still in shock over losing Shaq and having him replaced with ZERO's like Mihm and Kwame that an average center like Bynum looks like Hakeem/Ewing.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email

Wah, wah, wah. 

---or---

Been there, done that.

Sorry but the fishing just looked to inviting to not toss in a line...
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues