Author Topic: Stephen A Smith "Lebron is gone in 2010"  (Read 2709 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Stephen A Smith "Lebron is gone in 2010"
« on: January 13, 2008, 02:11:58 PM »
 Is this pretty much set in stone?  Rumors are he would go to a much bigger market where they have a better chance of landing players that would really help him win a title, what do you guys think?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Stephen A Smith "Lebron is gone in 2010"
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 02:31:28 PM »
Has this "bigger market and a better chance of landing players" actually ever held true?  What players have left to go to NY/Chicago/LA because of the city?  Isn't it always about money, and what team has the cap space and flexibility to sign a player?

Stuff like this always sounds like it's generated by the big city (RE: NY) because they think it has an effect, but I don't think it does.

Now, what could attract a star like LeBron to NY isn't "a better chance of landing players and helping him win a title", but increased endorsement possibilities.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 02:48:32 PM »
Has this "bigger market and a better chance of landing players" actually ever held true?  What players have left to go to NY/Chicago/LA because of the city?  Isn't it always about money, and what team has the cap space and flexibility to sign a player?

Stuff like this always sounds like it's generated by the big city (RE: NY) because they think it has an effect, but I don't think it does.

Now, what could attract a star like LeBron to NY isn't "a better chance of landing players and helping him win a title", but increased endorsement possibilities.

Hay I didn't say it, Stephen A Smith did lol

Well just for LA...Shaq and Kareem come to mind.  Gary Payton and Karl Malone as well.  All the times LA has really gone after a big name free agent (like when they've actually had the money to do so) they've been successful.  Boston is a big city and they were able to get KG and Ray Allen away from smaller markets.

You are right for the most part though.  I mean it's not like all the talent just flocks to LA or NY.  Atlanta is growing into a huge place as far as sheer number of people and growth but no one is flocking to Atlanta.

Lebron is in a small market and he has just as many endorsements as he would if he was in LA.  All the big names have flocked to him regardless.  He is just that special of a player.  Miami isn't a huge market, I would imagine not much bigger then ATL, and Wade has Converse, T-Mobile, and all that on board.  I even think the 'bigger market, more endorsements' is not even true.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 03:00:50 PM »
Gary Payton and Karl Malone as well

Payton and Malone came to Shaq and Kobe, not LA.  They would have done the same if Shaq and Kobe were on the Atlanta Hawks and winning championships.

Boston is a big city and they were able to get KG and Ray Allen away from smaller markets.

Those were trades.  Trades they were able to make because they had young talent, and because the stars were disgruntled because they weren't winning.  Boston didn't get KG because they were a big city.  Heck, KG refused a trade to Boston before they got the requisite talent (RE: Allen) to challenge.

I don't recall Shaq.  Were the other teams that had the flexibility to sign him?

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
Shaq didn't go to LA because they were primed for a run, or because they had lots of cap space to build a team around him.  They had just recently missed the playoffs, traded Vlade to get the rights to Kobe, and were definietly a team in transition from the glory years of the 80's.  It was about the endorsements and about Jerry West and his ability to articulate his vision of how he was going to rebuild the Lakers.

As far as LeBron, why in the world would he consider the Knicks???  It will take years to get out of their mess.  They would have had to start 1-2 years ago to get in a position to be able to have the situation ready for when LeBron is a FA, where they could build a contender.  They are years away from doing that.  They could have got out from under Francis' deal last after next year, but instead they took on Zach for 4 more years, and $60 million.  The ability to move a player like Zach is easiest early or right before it expires, but invariably you have to take on more years when it is ready to expire.  The chance of LeBron going to the Knicks is almost ZERO.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 05:32:45 PM »
Shaq didn't go to LA because they were primed for a run, or because they had lots of cap space to build a team around him.  They had just recently missed the playoffs, traded Vlade to get the rights to Kobe, and were definietly a team in transition from the glory years of the 80's.  It was about the endorsements and about Jerry West and his ability to articulate his vision of how he was going to rebuild the Lakers.

Actually that wasn't the reason he came either.  It was because he wanted to pursue acting and the Lakers offered him a pretty penny on top of it.  He didn't get anymore/less endorsements in LA until they won the championship then he did in Orlando.  Most of his big name deals were on the stregth of his size and hype coming out of college.  He had reebok long before he came to LA.

DB...they came to win a championship with Shaq and Kobe but the reason Shaq showed up in the first place was because of the big market atmosphere.  Karl Malone also enjoyed the atmosphere out in California that is why he moved his entire family out here.   Orlando had a chance to re-sign Shaq but he didn't want to stay because I believe he said he was tired of 'being a big fish in a small pond' (although that is off my fuzzy memory so Im not 100% sure if that was the quote).  While a big city may not be the main reason a player goes it certainly does help when a place has nice weather, plenty to do, and a lot of celebrities (at least for some)

For example Jermaine O'Neal was rumored to want to come to California because he was tired of slow Indiana and wanted to rub elbows with the stars.  Others may chose bigger cities so they can 'party'.  Really it depends on the player.

Also mentioned of teams Lebron *might* go to beside the Knicks in 2010 was of course the Lakers.  That I highly doubt but we will see.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 05:34:16 PM by westkoast »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 05:38:57 PM »
DB...they came to win a championship with Shaq and Kobe but the reason Shaq showed up in the first place was because of the big market atmosphere

Right.  So you have an argument (maybe) for Shaq, but not for Malone and Payton.  They came for Shaq and Kobe.  How Shaq and Kobe got there does not change Malone and Payton's reasoning.

For example Jermaine O'Neal was rumored to want to come to California because he was tired of slow Indiana and wanted to rub elbows with the stars.  Others may chose bigger cities so they can 'party'.  Really it depends on the player.

Rumored isn't what I'm talking about.  Lots of people are rumored to do lots of things.  Webber was rumored to want to go to NY.  I'm talking about results.  In fact, the rumors are actually my point.  You hear about rumors all the time, but very rarely do they actually act on the rumored desire.  In the end, LeBron will go to what team will offer him the max contract he can get, or whichever place gives him the best chance to win a championship. 

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 06:33:45 PM »

Actually that wasn't the reason he came either.  It was because he wanted to pursue acting and the Lakers offered him a pretty penny on top of it.  He didn't get anymore/less endorsements in LA until they won the championship then he did in Orlando.  Most of his big name deals were on the stregth of his size and hype coming out of college.  He had reebok long before he came to LA.

I think we are saying the same thing.  When I refer to endorsements I meant all sorts of outside basketball ways to make more dough.  That could be acting (I think that is what they call what he tried to do in SHAZAM!), ad's, endorsements, packaging and product lines (like what all the rappers are trying to do).
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 01:04:22 PM »
Is this pretty much set in stone?  Rumors are he would go to a much bigger market where they have a better chance of landing players that would really help him win a title, what do you guys think?

LeBron got clocked going 101 mph in Ohio on December 30th, his 23rd birthday. Now who is going to want such damaged goods for their big city squad?

Answer: All of them.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 01:24:24 PM »
LeBron got clocked going 101 mph in Ohio on December 30th, his 23rd birthday. Now who is going to want such damaged goods for their big city squad?

Much like his half arse effort to play in the NBA, no defense, LeBron really showed what a half arse thug he has become.  There was no pot or guns in his car when he got pulled over, what a lazy bum!  ::)
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 01:31:46 PM »

Much like his half arse effort to play in the NBA, no defense, LeBron really showed what a half arse thug he has become.  There was no pot or guns in his car when he got pulled over, what a lazy bum!  ::)

At the speed he was going, they disintegrated when he threw them out of the car.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 02:27:17 PM »

At the speed he was going, they disintegrated when he threw them out of the car.

Well he is one of the most unselfish guys in the league I heard he passed them off to a friend.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 02:59:19 PM »
Hmmm... The Cavs apparently just signed Mike Brown to an extension.  I'm curious how this plays in to it.  I can't imagine they would have done so with the full support of LeBron.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 03:03:36 PM »
Regardless if he is going to a big market or not.....would you guys say he is going to leave Cleveland?  Whether it is for a big market team or not.  Is Lebron as good as gone?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 04:02:53 PM »
Regardless if he is going to a big market or not.....would you guys say he is going to leave Cleveland?  Whether it is for a big market team or not.  Is Lebron as good as gone?

IMO it depends.  There is still 2 years until he is a free agent.  That is a lot of time in the NBA.  I was reading a story the other day that inferred that Ferry was too scared of messing up to pull the trigger on a deal.  If the Cavs make it to the 2nd round again then it will depend on what happens during this offseason.  Another one like this last one and I think LBJ will look seriously at what is available.  Problem is that most teams with cap space are not contenders...and I don't see LeBron hurting for non-basketball related revenue.

On a related note...how soon will Wade start to fade from advertisers' eyes if Miami sucks for another 2 years?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues