Author Topic: Now, the tought part of the Sixer's road trip.  (Read 4445 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Now, the tought part of the Sixer's road trip.
« on: January 02, 2008, 04:52:19 PM »
So far their west coast swing has worked out pretty well, they are 2-1.  The problem is the next 3 games are against Utah, LA Lakers and Denver.

All three of those teams are better than the Sixers.  Better talent and depth, better play and more wins.  It would be great for the Sixers if they could get a win out of one of these three, and tonight at Utah might be their best chance, since the Jazz had been slipping as of late, at least until they beat the Blazers.

The Sixers are now using their young talent more and more, and experiencing greater success.  Louis Williams went to the foul line for more points than from the field, as he has learned how to mimic Andre Millers' shot fake. The increased role of Jason Smith as a backup center, and increased minutes for Thad Young are paying off for the team.

It would be good for the Sixers if they could get Willie Green back.  Carney has been improving, but Willie was giving us a lot more thanks to his ball handling ability.

This is also the first chance for Korver to play against the Sixers and Giricek against his old team.

Keys for the game are Dalembert- who's game really has improved.  When Sammy has double figure points 7 rebounds and 6 blocks, that's pretty good production out of a Center.  He even had a couple of great passes last game and should have been credited with at least 2 assists.  If he stays out of foul trouble- something he seems to be making a concious effort of these days, then he is tall enough to bother Boozer inside.

The Sixers have to get into the lane with their guards, and should try to post up Miller. They need to find a way to get a handle on Derron Williams, who just tears them up.  Maybe they can give Louis Williams a shot- he's the only one with the speed to stay with Derron anyway.

Then it's a matter of Igoudala getting his shots and the Sixers forcing enough turnovers out of a very sound basketball team.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Now, the tought part of the Sixer's road trip.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 05:02:21 PM »
Friday the Lakers will be with out Lamar Odom in the starting line up.  He was suspended for that game because of the foul on Ray Allen on Sunday.   So that bone head Vladamir Radmonvich will most likely start in his place.    Last time the Sixers played the Lakers Odom  was doing a lot of damage to them so you guys caught a break with him being out.   Between Odom and Bynum there was no offensive rebounds out there for the Sixers to grab.  So unless someone else really steps up to grab 10-15 boards on Friday to make up for Odom being out I have a feeling the Sixers will get a lot of 2nd chance points.  I wouldn't say its an automatic lock for the Lakers to beat the Sixers because they've let a couple of games just down right slip out of their hands this year.

Denver is a streaky team.  Sometimes they play very well and sometimes they flat out lose to teams that they are better then on paper.  That could be a winable game for the Sixers.  Of course it's never fun to face a star player who use to play for your franchise.  They seem to get up for those challenges and AI is one of the last guys you want to get hyped up to play you.

Utah is in a weird funk and the game is very winable for the Sixers.  Their defense has seemed to get worse as the season has progressed.  Not that the Sixers have a bunch of fire power but the Jazz have made lesser players look good on offense.  Gordan knows how to shoot in the building maybe he will want to prove something.  Then again Kyle Korver may want to do the same.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 05:06:07 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 10:52:13 AM »
It was a nice win for the Jazz.  I thought the Sixers almost played well enough to win, but Utah was simply too good last night.  There is nothing you can do when a team is hitting it's shots from the outside.  Even if you guard well, if they go in, they go in.

The Sixers did a very good job with interior defense, and Louis Williams got the highlight of the night with a block of Okur on one end and a quick run to the other end to receive a for a slam dunk. He also showed why we don't need Korver.  Williams has a great outside shot- 40% from the 3.  He also put up 17pts and got to the foul line 8 times.

Igoudala (30) and Miller(25, 8) both had great nights, Dalmebert had 20 pts and 10 rebounds and Evans had 12 rebounds and 2 assists

Although the Jazz were in control the whole way, they could never pull away, and the Sixers got to within a bucket with a minute left. After that, the Jazz made a shot on every opportunity, with Korver missing a free throw that left the door open for the Sixers to tie.

Bottom line, the Jazz shot 53.3% from the floor and 70% from behind the 3 pt line. Tough team to beat when they shoot like that!

Still, I am very encouraged by the Sixer play and toughness.  They hung in against a physical team that was shooting lights out, had a lousy officiating crew, and a loud crowd and instead of folding they put up a fight to the very end.  They even outrebounded the Jazz, 40 to 26. 

Maybe they have a shot against the Lakers on Friday after all, especially with Odom out.  Still Bynum was more than the Sixers could handle last time, and Kobe is still the best.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 11:23:59 AM »
He also showed why we don't need Korver.  Williams has a great outside shot- 40% from the 3.  He also put up 17pts and got to the foul line 8 times.

IMO that emphasizes the stupidity of the Sixers.  Why trade away a guy you supposedly don't know for an inferior guy who plays the same position?  Why not trade for something you are lacking or a draft pick?

Maybe they have a shot against the Lakers on Friday after all, especially with Odom out.  Still Bynum was more than the Sixers could handle last time, and Kobe is still the best.

Does Odom missing Friday's game mean the Lakers have been off since Sunday?  Weird.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 11:38:21 AM »
He also showed why we don't need Korver.  Williams has a great outside shot- 40% from the 3.  He also put up 17pts and got to the foul line 8 times.

Rick, at this point you're just missing the Sixers motives.  Korver was not traded because he's not needed now, he's traded because the Sixers needed to clear cap space for the future, and Korver was the one who drew interest.  It takes two to tango.  If the Sixers could have traded Reggie Evans for an expiring, they would have.  Unfortunately nba GM's (outside of NY) have a clue, so they actually had to give up someone they value.

Why trade away a guy you supposedly don't know for an inferior guy who plays the same position?

Because the trade had nothing to do with this year.  It's all about the cap space, and flexibility that comes with that.  Before the trade, the Sixers didn't have more than the MLE next year, which is insignificant.  Now the Sixers have over 10 million.  Cap space lately has been successfully turned into productive players (Rashard Lewis and Joe Johnson coming immediately to mind), as well as the trade possibilities it opens up (The suns trading the sonics Kurt Thomas AND TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS for a trade exception).  Giricek is irrelevant, and the first is of low significance as well.  The Sixers didn't make the trade because they thought they could replace Kyle's production now, or because they don't value Korver.  But because you don't let a guy like Korver (as much as I like him) get in the way of actually having a chance to rebuild.  Mediocrity (re: 35-40 wins) is the absolute worst thing that can happen to a franchise.  Accumulating first round picks and cap space is the best way to avoid it.

The key, of course, is using the draft picks and cap space to actually obtain talent, which is where Stefanski's good or bad moves will come.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 11:45:08 AM »
Does Odom missing Friday's game mean the Lakers have been off since Sunday?  Weird. 
A few other people have come up missing since Sundays game vs Celtics.

What Derek said about Korver, cap space and the ensuing moves by new GM.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 11:59:19 AM »

Rick, at this point you're just missing the Sixers motives.  Korver was not traded because he's not needed now, he's traded because the Sixers needed to clear cap space for the future, and Korver was the one who drew interest.  It takes two to tango.  If the Sixers could have traded Reggie Evans for an expiring, they would have.  Unfortunately nba GM's (outside of NY) have a clue, so they actually had to give up someone they value.

But is this the best option, Derek, even for the reasons you say? Korver was a better piece to hold onto then the results of this trade. Who's to say what could have occurred in a few weeks, when additional interests might have appearred for other players on the Sixers? There was no dire reason to jump on this trade at this time.

As for taking two to tango, you haven't seen me on the dance floor yet. I've been known to fill up an ER with my moves.

\
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 12:14:27 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 12:09:29 PM »
Dabods, I understand about the expiring being the reason for the trade.

My point is, I think the team is better off without him anyway!  I think he kept the team from developing their young players.  Mo wouldn't be playing the younger guys as much if he still had Kyle. That's not his fault, but it is the way it was.

I think the Sixers played one of their best games last night even though they lost. 

I think it might be a big mistake to even try to trade Andre Miller. He looks like a top 10 point guard to me, even if Derron Williams is better. We just need to find out what we have with Randolph and Hill and the best move might be to stand pat.  We'll just get rid of Carney and a few others and keep developing Williams, Young and Smith.

It is a very strange freak of the schedule that the Lakers haven't played since Sunday. Maybe they'll be a little rusty too. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 12:16:49 PM »
My point is, I think the team is better off without him anyway!

That's what we call a "hater".  And wrong.

Mo wouldn't be playing the younger guys as much if he still had Kyle

Which young players would that be?  Louis Williams has played 25.5 mpg his last 2.  He was playing the same amount before he got injured at the beginning of december.

Thaddeus Young played 6 minutes last night.

Both of these guys could have seen an influx of minutes without getting rid of a 26 year old asset to the team.  Willie Green and Carney are the ones getting completely undeserved minutes, and don't fit in with the future of the team, IMO.

If you're happy to have moved Kyle so we can see more of Rodney Carney, then we just have vastly different views on what constitutes a good basketball player.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 12:21:21 PM »
It is a very strange freak of the schedule that the Lakers haven't played since Sunday. Maybe they'll be a little rusty too. 

The Sixers will benifit more from Odom's abscense than rust.  Hopefully Bynum and Walton can take up the slack.  RadMan used to be a quality player, don't know what he will do this year.  I gave him a pass last year because he was playing all season with a bad shooting hand.  Didn't like the signing from day one because of the money but the Lakers could have done worse.  It's sad to think that the "could have done worse" mantra is something I have to settle for, bring back Mr. Logo or have James Worthy become GM of the Hornets and then have him ship us Howard for RadMan and DFish. ;)
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 12:25:05 PM »
But is this the best option, Derek, even for the reasons you say? Korver was a better piece to hold onto then the results of this trade. Who's to say what could have occurred in a few weeks, when additional interests might have appearred for other players on the Sixers? There was no dire reason to jump on this trade at this time.

That's what I was thinking as well.  Could they not get a jump on the rest of the league and try to acquire the FA's they are eyeing via a trade for Korver before that FA hits the open market?  As a Sixers fan I would be concerned that they might be clearing cap space for the sake of JUST saving money.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 12:29:30 PM »
Could they not get a jump on the rest of the league and try to acquire the FA's they are eyeing via a trade for Korver before that FA hits the open market?  As a Sixers fan I would be concerned that they might be clearing cap space for the sake of JUST saving money.

Well, they'd still have to sign said player in free agency.

And the Sixers have never shown a real desire to save money.  They've always been at the luxury tax threshold.  I have no doubts they intend to use the salary cap space.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 12:33:44 PM »

Not with a sign and trade, and like I said they might get a jump on everyone else that's waiting for said FA to hit the FA market.  As a GM I would like to get something in return rather than let a player walk out the door to the FA market.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 12:38:07 PM »
Carney is the weakest link, and not the one I'd like to see developed.

Cheeks used Kyle as a 4 at times!  Probably the most assine coaching decision I have ever seen.  In those instances, I'd much rather see Jason Smith.  When Shavlik Randolph gets back he'd also be a better choice.

I'm much happier with Igoudala and Young at the 3 spots.  Young isn't ready, but I'd still rather see him out there the sooner he makes his mistakes and learns from them the better he'll be.  Willie Green was actually earning his minutes before he got injured, and was definitely doing a better job at the 2 than Kyle ever could. 

Giricek fits in better with the Sixers style of play in any case.  He can put the ball on the floor and drive, create his own shot and make shots for others.  Kyle made space, but that was about it, and he came up short a lot of times when he was depended on.  Face it, Kyle was a weak defender, a poor rebounder, had no floor game and was slow.  On some teams he's a great fit, but the Sixers weren't that team.

The Sixers are a little short as a team anyway.  Young in that position helps them match up better, or will once he learns how to play.  We may even find that Randolph can play the 3 as well.  Without Korver I have a better chance of seeing that.

The teams 4 best are Iguodala, Miller, Dalembert and Williams.  A better PF than Evans- one who can score as well as rebound, and this is a pretty good team.  Korver with that group doesn't work.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 12:39:22 PM »

Not with a sign and trade, and like I said they might get a jump on everyone else that's waiting for said FA to hit the FA market.  As a GM I would like to get something in return rather than let a player walk out the door to the FA market.

And the Clippers are going to trade Brand for Korver just so they don't let him walk out the door?    ::)

Teams will always believe their big name FA will re-sign with them.  Then if that FA refuses (see Rashard Lewis) they can work a sign & trade at that time and get a better deal.  There is no reason for a team with a potential FA to do a deal at this point of the season.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues