Author Topic: The Mitchell Report  (Read 5821 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Mitchell Report
« on: December 13, 2007, 04:39:40 PM »
Six-Two and Even, Rocket Roger isn't met with a tenth the venom from the media and fans Bonds was.

==============================================================================

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3153509

List of Players:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3153646

Players listed in the Mitchell Commission report
ESPN.com

Updated: December 13, 2007, 4:09 PM ET

According to the Mitchell Commission report, here are players mentioned and how they are linked to performance enhancing substances:

Information Learned During this Investigation Concerning BALCO and Major League Baseball (8 players/ 3 active in MLB in 2007)
From the report: "I requested interviews of all the major league players who had been publicly implicated in the BALCO case."

Marvin Benard
Barry Bonds
Bobby Estalella
Jason Giambi
Jeremy Giambi
Benito Santiago
Gary Sheffield
Randy Velarde

Information Regarding Purchases or Use of Performance Enhancing Substances by Players in Major League Baseball (53 players/ 18 active in MLB in 2007)
From the report: "The following discussion is organized in roughly chronological order. Records do not exist to document every transaction described by witnesses. [Kirk] Radomski stated that, with one exception noted below, the payments he received from professional baseball players were for performance enhancing substances, as opposed to personal training or other services, and this assertion was confirmed by those players who agreed to speak with us about their dealings with him."

Lenny Dykstra
David Segui
Larry Bigbie
Brian Roberts
Jack Cust
Tim Laker
Josias Manzanillo
Todd Hundley
Mark Carreon
Hal Morris
Matt Franco
Rondell White
Roger Clemens
Andy Pettitte
Chuck Knoblauch
Jason Grimsley
Gregg Zaun
David Justice
F.P. Santangelo
Glenallen Hill
Mo Vaughn
Denny Neagle
Ron Villone
Ryan Franklin
Chris Donnels
Todd Williams
Phil Hiatt
Kevin Young
Mike Lansing
Cody McKay
Kent Mercker
Adam Piatt
Miguel Tejada
Jason Christiansen
Mike Stanton
Stephen Randolph
Jerry Hairston, Jr.
Paul Lo Duca
Adam Riggs
Bart Miadich
Fernando Vina
Kevin Brown
Eric Gagn?
Mike Bell
Matt Herges
Gary Bennett, Jr.
Jim Parque
Brendan Donnelly
Chad Allen
Jeff Williams
Howie Clark
Exavier "Nook" Logan

Alleged Internet Purchases of Performance Enhancing Substances By Players in Major League Baseball (16 players, 8 active in MLB in 2007)
From the report: "Since the initial news reports of the raid by New York and Florida law enforcement officials on Signature Pharmacy and several rejuvenation centers, the names of several current and former major league players have appeared in the media as alleged purchasers of performance enhancing substances through these operations. These include:"

Rick Ankiel
Paul Byrd
Jay Gibbons
Troy Glaus
Jose Guillen
Jerry Hairston Jr.
Gary Matthews, Jr.
Scott Schoeneweis
David Bell
Jose Canseco
Jason Grimsley
Darren Holmes
John Rocker
Ismael Valdez
Matt Williams
Steve Woodard

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Mitchell Report
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 11:22:26 PM »
Six-Two and Even, Rocket Roger isn't met with a tenth the venom from the media and fans Bonds was.

So am I now supposed to feel sorry for Bonds and how he was treated?
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 09:06:11 AM »
Not at all.  Just a comment that hateration never comes in equal parts for equal offenses.  One guy has to be singled out.  Bonds and Sheffield were both in the BALCO fiasco but one is strung up and beaten on a monthly basis, the other enjoys relative peace.  Just commenting on the double standard, not in any way defending Bonds.  I guess Bonds holding the dearest record in sports probably has something to do with it. 

If it was up to me, not a single one of them gets voted to the hall.   
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 09:59:41 AM »
Not being a smart arse here or anything....when was the last time a "white" guy in sports was involved in a scandal?  Only guys I can think of are announcers who get their jobs back.

Now I AM being a smart arse....or am I? 

Is my memory just bad? 
Are white guys just better behaved?
Do minorities, blacks in particular, just behave poorly?
Do minorities, blacks in particular, just dominate sports so much that it's just a numbers thing?

Or is there another problem with America loving nothing better than tear down minority, in particular black, athletes?  The latter has been the subject of many a sports specials/comments/documentaries.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 10:35:44 AM »
Not being a smart arse here or anything....when was the last time a "white" guy in sports was involved in a scandal?  Only guys I can think of are announcers who get their jobs back.

I can think of Mark McGuire, Jason Giambi, John Rocker, Don MacLean, Chris Anderson, and Pete Rose right off the top of my head.

Several of the Phoenix Suns/Milwaukee Bucks involved in the game-fixing and drug scandal in the late '80's were white.

Roger Clemens now joins the list.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 10:36:58 AM »

er....donaghy?

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 11:09:28 AM »
Todd Marinovich, Mark Chmura and Todd Bertuzzi. No doubt there are plenty of sports fans who overlook whites in sports scandals but there are definitely some white guys who's scandals have brought universal contempt.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 11:55:31 AM »
Then there is Steve Howe.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 01:38:34 PM »
I guess Bonds holding the dearest record in sports probably has something to do with it.

DING DING DING!  We have a winner!  What do we have for him, Johnny?

If it was up to me, not a single one of them gets voted to the hall.   

Okay, let's say your thought represents the general consensus among voters.  None of the players on the list gain entry.  Player X, however, is a contemporary of these athletes, and he's eventually enshrined.  Years later, it's discovered Player X bought/used steroids or HGH ... what do you do?

This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 01:43:12 PM »
Was there even one Boston Red Sox on any of Mitchells *lists*.

Most honest, accurate competent take on the Mitchell *report*?
Jose Consecos.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3154625
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 02:07:45 PM by Reality »

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 03:01:12 PM »
I always figured it was because Bonds was black and Sheffield was less black.  :o

Two reasons for Bonds catching it:

1. He owns the most hallowed record in all sports.
2. He is a DICK: to fans, to media, to his wife . . . a DICK!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 03:03:04 PM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 03:02:15 PM »
Okay, let's say your thought represents the general consensus among voters.  None of the players on the list gain entry.  Player X, however, is a contemporary of these athletes, and he's eventually enshrined.  Years later, it's discovered Player X bought/used steroids or HGH ... what do you do?

Have him murdered.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 03:27:51 PM »

Dave Bliss the former basketball coach at Baylor
Bob Knight
Mitch Cozad the punter at Norther Colorado who stabbed his teammate
The Duke Lacrosse team
Floyd Landis
Tonya Harding
Todd Bertuzzi the hockey player who drilled the guy in the head with a hockey stick
John Daly and his wife and her family
Victor Conte the head of BALCO

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 03:45:53 PM »
DING DING DING!  We have a winner!  What do we have for him, Johnny?

That and he's a you-know-what-hole.

I think that's also a big reason people are getting on the Rocket more than on Pettite.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 08:24:46 PM »
I am a fan of basketball and football, NEVER EVER watch baseball yet I know who Bonds is and why he's a huge name in the steriods scandal.  The only other name that all you guys rattle off that I can remember being as big a news item is Rose.

I have to agree with Barkely abotu the whole "hallowed" record, who gives a rat arse about baseball records other than baseball fans. 
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"