Author Topic: The next quadruple double  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
The next quadruple double
« on: December 06, 2007, 05:53:37 PM »
The last quadruple double was recorded by David Robinson. Listed below are the four recorded quad doubles in NBA history.*

Nate Thurmond, October 18, 1974, Chicago vs. Atlanta
22 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists, 12 blocks

Alvin Robertson, February 18, 1986, San Antonio vs. Phoenix
20 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 steals

Hakeem Olajuwon, March 29, 1990, Houston vs. Milwaukee
18 points, 16 rebounds, 10 assists, 11 blocks

David Robinson, February 17, 1994, San Antonio vs. Detroit
34 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 blocks

Who is going to be the next to accomplish it?

*The NBA did start recording blocks and steals until the early 70s, and many believe Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain likely accomplished the feat more than once.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: The next quadruple double
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 06:50:31 PM »
The last quadruple double was recorded by David Robinson. Listed below are the four recorded quad doubles in NBA history.*

Nate Thurmond, October 18, 1974, Chicago vs. Atlanta
22 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists, 12 blocks

Alvin Robertson, February 18, 1986, San Antonio vs. Phoenix
20 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 steals

Hakeem Olajuwon, March 29, 1990, Houston vs. Milwaukee
18 points, 16 rebounds, 10 assists, 11 blocks

David Robinson, February 17, 1994, San Antonio vs. Detroit
34 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, 10 blocks

Who is going to be the next to accomplish it?

*The NBA did start recording blocks and steals until the early 70s, and many believe Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain likely accomplished the feat more than once.

The answer is obvious, Kobe Bryant!  WORD!

Actually, his team mate Odom used to be a quad threat, the only other guy I can think of would be BronBron.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 07:16:20 PM »
Those are the two I thought of.

The topic came to mind as I was thinking about AK47 for the other thread. He came somewhat close last week. 20 pts, 11 assists, 12 rebs, 6 steals, 4 blocks. But I see that as about as good as it gets for him. Kidd may have once been a candidate, but I don't think he could get that many steals now.

I can see Kobe or LeBron busting off a 10 steal night if a team gets lazy.

Other lesser possibilities IMO, Garnett with 10 blocks, Marion with blocks or steals, maybe Chris Paul with steals and rebs. Any other thoughts?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 11:08:21 PM »
Timmy Dunkar came within two in recent history.
I think he had 3 of 4 and two more blocks would have sealed the deal.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 08:30:59 AM »
Kirilenko, LeBron, Chris Paul and Iguodala are the most likely IMO.  10 steals (or blocks) is ridiculously hard to get in todays day and age, though.  I would say Kirilenko is the most likely (and Kirilenko's the only one capable of a 5-double IMO.  He's the only one who could get the 10 in steals or blocks).

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »
LeBron, AK, and Iguodala are probably the most likely.  I think we would need an OT or double OT game for us to see it.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 08:41:54 AM »
Actually, Jason Kidd has done it.  His fourth category was TURNOVERS.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 02:22:13 PM »
I think AI could do it by grabbing 10 steals.  While it is hard to do if a team gets lazy he shoots the gap better then anyone in the league.  I also think Marcus Camby should get an honorable mention.  He is the kind of player who can get 10 blocks in a game if he was really on.

Duncan at this point would be my first pick though.  If Parker, Manu, and Bowen are on he could easily get 10 assists.  10 blocks would be a bit of a stretch though.  That is very tough to do.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 07:44:24 PM »
I think AI could do it by grabbing 10 steals. 

What good is that when the only other "double" is points and possibly assists?  AI could be a TRIPLE double threat but that's pretty much it.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 11:23:33 AM »
It's hard to get a Quadruple double if you can't be competitive in all the categories.

It's very hard for a player like AI to get 10 rebounds, and probably impossible for him to get 10 blocks.

Kobe, Lebron, AK and Iguodala are good candidates, along with T-Mac. But really it's more of a statistical oddity than anything.  A great players only club.

Other possiblities would be Duncan, KG and

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 05:23:20 PM »
My thought is that if it's anybody, it'll be Garnett.

It's the ENERGY that such an effort would require.  Garnett can get the 10 points, and 10 rebounds easily enough.  That means he's spending his energy on the other two categories.  He's capable of the assists - probably moreso that most big forwards.  He's mobile enough to get SOME steals and SOME blocks.  If it all comes together in one of those last two categories, then it's possible.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 05:59:19 PM »
My thought is that if it's anybody, it'll be Garnett.

I can't say I understand this at all.  Garnett the MOST likely? 

LeBron is Mr. Everything for Cleveland and plays TONS of minutes which is why he averages damn near a triple-double anyway.  So 10 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists happens at least monthly for LeBron, something you can't say for Garnett.  All he needs is that special 10 Steal game.  I think that's way more likely than Garnett's 10 steals or 10 blocks, and on that Garnett 10 block game, the 10 assists are far from assured.

25 points, 25 rebounds --- there's a statline Garnett will be MOST likely to get.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 08:32:02 PM »
Interesting that 3 of the 4 who accomplished it are big men and most here pick a swing player to be the next.

But then I would bet on LeBron and would even go as far to say it happens against a team like the Warriors.  Up tempo and a little reckless.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 01:24:13 AM »
Interesting that 3 of the 4 who accomplished it are big men and most here pick a swing player to be the next.

But then I would bet on LeBron and would even go as far to say it happens against a team like the Warriors.  Up tempo and a little reckless.

Points, boards and assists are likely enough but where can Bron get the other double?  Blocks?  Not likely.  So I Bron can rack up some steals he has a shot.  Thinking about it KG is the most likely.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 01:42:14 AM »

Points, boards and assists are likely enough but where can Bron get the other double?  Blocks?  Not likely.  So I Bron can rack up some steals he has a shot.  Thinking about it KG is the most likely.

It is easily Kirilenko.  He has had 6 or more steals and 7 or more blocks probably 25 times in the last 4 years.  He is the only player who would have 2 categories to get the 4th "10".  He has had 7+ steals at least 4 times, and 8-9 blocks 4-5 times.  Iggy would have to do it with steals, but he has only had 1 or 2, 6 to 7 steal games making it more difficult.  Garnett has had a number of 6-7 block games, so I would say he has the next best shot at it.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil