Author Topic: all time favorite movie  (Read 7476 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
all time favorite movie
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2004, 01:29:33 AM »
any western with Sam Shepherd, The Sacketts series was really good.
Dan,
You sound just like my wife, so is it really Danielle?  BTW she met Sam Shepard once, and said he has white boy chicken legs.  Kind of screws up the next time you want to watch as Sam Shepard now huh.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
all time favorite movie
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2004, 01:33:31 AM »
Dude come on! Sam has the perfect persona for a western, and his portrayal of Tell Sackett was a flawless interpretation of L'Amour's ultimate western stud.

I am a sucker for a really good western, what can I say. I just wish the Indians would win sometimes.
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
all time favorite movie
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2004, 02:05:34 AM »
Dude come on! Sam has the perfect persona for a western, and his portrayal of Tell Sackett was a flawless interpretation of L'Amour's ultimate western stud.

I am a sucker for a really good western, what can I say. I just wish the Indians would win sometimes.
Last of the Mohicans is one of my all time favs, you should enjoy that one.  Almost all the white devils get their heads split open and the guys left standing are the natives.

The way the old man handles his buisness at the end of the movie is awe inspiring!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
all time favorite movie
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2004, 12:12:11 PM »
A few other favs:

Saving Private Ryan- Hanks' acting was the best of his career, which says much.

I was a big fan of Clint-buddy's spaghetti westerns, especially "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". His "Dirty Harry" series made my day as well.

Personally hated how Hollywood depicted the Indians versus the whiteman in those older westerns, which is why I also think Costner's "Dances with Wolves" was such a good movie.  

I bought "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", all time great oater of a western. Classic.

Agree completely about "The Last of the Mohicans".

Any movie that shows lots of killing of Nazi bastards is a favorite, just for sentamental reasons. If there is such a thing as an 'oater' of Nazi WWII movies, it has to be "The Dirty Dozen".

I don't have to like the movie "Grease". I lived it, complete with the faggy dance routines. I did musicals in high school. Still have a pretty good baritone. Turns out, all the pretty girls like to be in school musicals, which is where I met my current wife, though we never dated till I was out of college.

And to show how sentamental I can be, I, along with my wife, just love watching movies like "Sleepless in Seattle", "Only You", and PBS' "Pride and Prejudice" together. Stayed up late last night to finish viewing the final two hours of the latter just last night. Jennifer Ehle is such a nice looking girl, with such fine eyes.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
all time favorite movie
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2004, 12:47:33 PM »
How could I forget Dances with Wolves!!!!! Great movie. I agree about the Dirty Dozen, first rate cast.

Also the Longest Day was good, ANY Clint spaghetti western, and I aways liked the Searchers with the Duke, despite the portrayal of Comanche's in the movie. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was in a league of its own. Comanchero's, True Grit, Liberty Valance was great, High Noon, To Kill a Mockingbird all up there on my list.

If you want to see an interesting treament of Indians, Last of the Dogmen is FLAT OUT FANTASTIC, Tom Berringer is great in that flick. He was also really good in Gettysburg, Martin Sheen overplayed his role as Robert E. Lee though, IMO.

And yes, I have a sensitive side too, Whale Rider was good, On Golden Pond, because I'm a fan of Henry Fonda.
Dan

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
all time favorite movie
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2004, 01:00:59 PM »
I forgot about Gettysburg!

I agree with you Dan. Gettysburg is awesome, and Berringer was the best in the cast. I liked Robert Duvall's Lee in Gods and Generals much better. Sheen just plain overdid the soft-spoken, southern gentleman schtick. Jeff Daniels was pretty good, too. When he ordered the bayonet charge man . . . amazing.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
all time favorite movie
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2004, 01:05:59 PM »
Let's not forget Sam Sheperd as General Buford, I read his autobiography and Sam nailed his personality as an eccentric, almost psychotic Cavalry officer. And yes, Duvall does a way better job as Lee in Gonds and Generals. Speaking of Civil War flicks, check out Jimmy Stuart in Shennendoah, good movie.
Dan

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
all time favorite movie
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2004, 01:17:37 PM »
Oh yeah! I loved the part where he gets so mad that he starts shaking and slavering. Man that was a great movie.

Have you read Killer Angels. One of the best historical war novels I've ever read.

Gods and Generals wasn't bad either. Jeff Shaara isn't nearly as good as his dad, but he's okay. The depiction in the movie of the Union charges on Fredericksburg was very moving. Especially the part where the Southern Irish are screaming at the Northern Irish to stop coming.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 01:19:00 PM by Ted »

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
all time favorite movie
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2004, 01:30:11 PM »
Haven't read it, I've read quite a few Civil War books but I guess I missed that one, I'll have to check it out
Dan

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
all time favorite movie
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2004, 01:38:13 PM »
Haven't read it, I've read quite a few Civil War books but I guess I missed that one, I'll have to check it out
I'd definitely recommend it. Actually the movie Gettysburg is based directly on that book. The movie is very dedicated to the book in fact.

It's The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. It won the Pulitzer I believe. The author's son has built on his father's book with some other good war novels, including a short series on the Revolutionary War.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
all time favorite movie
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2004, 01:39:52 PM »
Killer Angels, fantastic book!  
Paul

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
all time favorite movie
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2004, 01:44:03 PM »
Ah, now I remember where I saw that title before, it's in the opening credits of teh movie, now I will have to read it
Dan

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
all time favorite movie
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2004, 02:02:50 PM »

HUGE Louis fan here.  Have the shrine bookcase (the one my wife hates) in the family room -- over 110 of his books.

Daybreakers was a great book (the movie Sackett was based on -- as opposed to the book Sackett which was different entirely).  Hondo and the Shadow Riders were pretty good as well.  Tom Selleck and Sam both are pretty good in the westerns.  I also enjoy Silverado.  However, stay away from the movie the Crossfire Trail -- they totally butchered the storyline in that one and I'm not sure why.

I love westerns:  Clint, esp. -- "Fist Full of Dollars" and "For a Few Dollars More."
Fav. line:  walking down to meet the badguys, Clint walks past the undertaker, pauses, takes the cigar out of his mouth and says "3".  Comes back (after killing all the bad guys) and say, "my mistake, 4."  What a line.
Of course, love the whole Dirty Harry series -- some were obviously better than others.

Favorite movies though:  Braveheart, the Patriot, Last of the Mohicans (scenery is incredible in this movie), Gladiator.

Favorite movies to watch with my wife:  Return to Me, Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail and Groundhog Day.

Favorite movies with my son:  Glory (my son is big into the Civil War now), Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Spiderman.

Movies I endure with my daughter:  the Lizzie McGuire movie, Princess diaries (that one is okay), Shrek, Ice Age, etc., etc., etc.  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
all time favorite movie
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2004, 02:53:05 PM »
Saw "What a Girl Wants" with my daughter, it wasn't so bad.
Paul

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
all time favorite movie
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2004, 02:59:19 PM »
Oh, another one of my favorites is "The World According to Garp."  
Paul