Author Topic: Movies  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Movies
« on: November 16, 2007, 11:34:40 AM »
I have no doubt that as we left The Bee Movie last night, i saw several if not all of you in line for Beowulf. 

Bee Movie.  Great start, okay for 30 minutes then too much Jerry Steinfield overbearing schtick.  Very good graphics.
Some plot parts i liked were the bees leaving the nest for pollen.  "Pollen jockeys" done in air formation with all kinds of radio talk back n forth. 
We've sighted some pollen headquarters.
Roger that, commence 30 degree turn and decent.

Michael Clayton.  Have not seen, anyone have a take?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Movies
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 12:28:14 PM »
Not really interested in the bee movie.  don't know why, I usually like animated movies.  Maybe it's just that everything Seinfeld has done since Seinfeld has annoyed me.

Michael Clayton was good.  Maybe very good.  But not exactly incredible like the critics have proclaimed it.  You have to pay attention to it, and the end is rewarding, but it's not this great, "thinking mans", incredibly deep thriller it's being proclaimed as.

So far from what I've seen recently, I think Gone baby gone is by far the best.  American Gangster was good, but not epic good.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 01:21:59 PM »
I liked Bee Movie, not great but not bad like Shrek III.

The only reason I'm going to see Beuwolf (sic?) is to POSSIBLY see the trailer to the 1-18-08 movie.  I don't know if anyone remembers the trailer for some monster movie before Transformers.  The monster rips the head off the statue of liberty.  It's one of those viral marketing movies that is very hush hush wit clues all over the place.  They have clues on the internet, T-shirts worn by the producers at ComicCon and on the show Alias.  Cool stuff and my son is obsessed with figuring out what the movie is about.  The code name for the movie is Cloverfield, 1-18-08 is the release date and there was a websit set up for you to try and figure out the clues, someone posted about it on the board.  From what I've read the premise is that a video camera is found the day after the monster attack and that is the movie you watch.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 02:59:33 PM »
I liked Bee Movie, not great but not bad like Shrek III.

The only reason I'm going to see Beuwolf (sic?) is to POSSIBLY see the trailer to the 1-18-08 movie.  I don't know if anyone remembers the trailer for some monster movie before Transformers.  The monster rips the head off the statue of liberty.  It's one of those viral marketing movies that is very hush hush wit clues all over the place.  They have clues on the internet, T-shirts worn by the producers at ComicCon and on the show Alias.  Cool stuff and my son is obsessed with figuring out what the movie is about.  The code name for the movie is Cloverfield, 1-18-08 is the release date and there was a websit set up for you to try and figure out the clues, someone posted about it on the board.  From what I've read the premise is that a video camera is found the day after the monster attack and that is the movie you watch.

We even had the debate on here about that movie.  I thought it had something to do with Godzilla ::shrugs::

American Gangster was an okay movie.  Overhyped beyond belief.  I can't believe people said its my generations Good Fellas.  The movie was not 100% accurate or even 80% accurate.  Thought Denzel has played better roles.  I also thought it was entirely too long to the point where stretches of the movie was pretty much just treading water.  I got more enjoyment out of Jay-z CD 'American Gangster' then I did from the movie it was inspired by.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 03:27:16 PM »
We even had the debate on here about that movie.  I thought it had something to do with Godzilla ::shrugs::

That was my first thought when I saw the trailer and heard the monster "groan".

No outsider really knows what the movie is about, everything from Power Rangers to Voltron has been trown around.  Can't wait, hope it's not a huge letdown.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 03:44:10 PM »
Gabbo! Gabbo! Gabbo!

"What do you think it is Homer?"

"I figure it's some guy.  Some guy named Gabbo."

I'm hoping to hit No Country for Old Men this week.  Sounds like a winner. Anyone seen it?
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 04:05:20 PM »
I might see Beowulf, but only because I heard the Dark Knight teaser trailer might be attached.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 05:35:10 PM »
I might see Beowulf, but only because I heard the Dark Knight teaser trailer might be attached.

F the Dark Knight!  CLOVERFiELD (01-18-08) TRAILER BABY!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 05:55:32 PM »
American Gangster was an okay movie.  Overhyped beyond belief.  I can't believe people said its my generations Good Fellas.  The movie was not 100% accurate or even 80% accurate.  Thought Denzel has played better roles.  I also thought it was entirely too long to the point where stretches of the movie was pretty much just treading water.  I got more enjoyment out of Jay-z CD 'American Gangster' then I did from the movie it was inspired by.

Not accurate? Try it has a real guy's name in it and that is about it. The thug was a dunce!. He could not read. He could not figure numbers. The only way he knew he was holding a million in cash was that twenty dollar bills that amount to that much weighs about twenty pounds. He was mean and that about covers his movie credentials.

As for movies seen lately, none of the above entice me enough to not wait till they come out on video. Did see "The Bourne Ultimatum", and while not as gripping as the second one, I will be buying that trilogy when available.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 07:34:39 PM »

F the Dark Knight!  CLOVERFiELD (01-18-08) TRAILER BABY!

F the Dark Knight!?!?

Oh, it's on, Mikey!  It is SO on ...
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 01:14:46 AM »
Just got back from Beowulf, WOW, double WOW.

I was so not interested in this movie, expected some shticky 3-D wanabe lord of the rings.  This movie was really really good, great SFX and an even better story.  DO NOT take kids to this movie, some very gruesome scenes and characters, not to mention CGI tities!  I took my 10 year old and he covered his eyes a couple of times, not at the scray stuff but the naked people.  I highly recommend this movie!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 05:18:41 PM »
Naked people, huh . . . . why am I not surprised that Miguel is enthusiastically recommending this?  8)
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 07:21:02 PM »

Not accurate? Try it has a real guy's name in it and that is about it. The thug was a dunce!. He could not read. He could not figure numbers. The only way he knew he was holding a million in cash was that twenty dollar bills that amount to that much weighs about twenty pounds. He was mean and that about covers his movie credentials.

As for movies seen lately, none of the above entice me enough to not wait till they come out on video. Did see "The Bourne Ultimatum", and while not as gripping as the second one, I will be buying that trilogy when available.

LOL ya to put it bluntly that is all about that was right.  Frank Lucas was a foot note in Nicky Barnes story, not vice versa.  They made Nicky Barnes just look like some coke head but he was the real drug king pin at the time.

Speaking of movies...not new or anything but it is on HBO this month and I love it.  It's called Idiocracy.  Has anyone seen it?  I find the movie hillarious, scary accurate, and really what is going to happen to our world.  "Welcome to Costco, I love you"
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 07:33:16 PM »
Naked people, huh . . . . why am I not surprised that Miguel is enthusiastically recommending this?  8)

I actually liked this movie more than transformers.  Not once did I get the feeling the movie was standing still wasting time.  In transformers that happened twice, once at the kids house when the trasformers were being all shticky and funny, also when the kid takes his car to visit the jock party and ends up picking up the hottie.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 10:05:29 PM »
LOL ya to put it bluntly that is all about that was right.  Frank Lucas was a foot note in Nicky Barnes story, not vice versa.  They made Nicky Barnes just look like some coke head but he was the real drug king pin at the time.

From what I read (and I didn't live during the time), Nicky pushed more drugs, and sold in more areas, but Frank's profits were higher.  I read an interview between the two where Nicky admitted that he was paying $35k for the same amount of heroin Frank was paying $4k for.