Author Topic: Alex Rodriguez  (Read 1455 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Alex Rodriguez
« on: October 31, 2007, 06:23:22 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-arod103007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Let me stake out a position.  Scott Boras made a huge blunder in my opinion, and A Rod is going to take a CUT IN PAY.  The only team that will pay A Rod $25 to $30 million is the Yankees, and the Yankees have said they won't resign him if he opts out.  Who else in the list in the Yahoo article will pay him $25 to $30 million???  The reasons not to are a lot more compelling than they are to signing him.  I hope Boras chokes on this one, and he gets knocked down a peg or 2.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Alex Rodriguez
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 06:34:48 AM »
zig,
concur 100%.
But sadly will someone pay them?  BorAss is pushing bigtime the % of revenue card in large market team owned tv stations, and he's actually right.  But i can't see good old corporate USA sharing that much.
Would Boston pursue him?  I don't think so but if Lowell signs with the Yankees ::)
Amoung the other deep pocket pursuers are both LA teams.  Sad to say, money aside he is just what the Angels need bat wise.
But zig do you agree, how much better for teams to take that would-be 30 mil a year and sink it into top notch pitching.  Ie Johan, altho he has one more year with MN.

Big surprise, the steroid *testing* is verified bogus.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/31/sports/baseball/31testing.html?ref=sports

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 10:53:12 AM »
The Giants have expressed an interest in A-Rod. However, from what I have heard, the feeling is not recipricated. The stadium in San Francisco, it seems, is a deterent.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 11:50:12 AM »
zig,
concur 100%.
But sadly will someone pay them?  BorAss is pushing bigtime the % of revenue card in large market team owned tv stations, and he's actually right.  But i can't see good old corporate USA sharing that much.
Would Boston pursue him?  I don't think so but if Lowell signs with the Yankees ::)
Amoung the other deep pocket pursuers are both LA teams.  Sad to say, money aside he is just what the Angels need bat wise.
But zig do you agree, how much better for teams to take that would-be 30 mil a year and sink it into top notch pitching.  Ie Johan, altho he has one more year with MN.

Big surprise, the steroid *testing* is verified bogus.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/31/sports/baseball/31testing.html?ref=sports

I think a number of teams are out of the running because they are too small for ARods tastes, and I think they all recognize that Texas' decision 7 years ago was a horrible mistake, and they are not interested in going there.  That leaves the big market teams.

Yankees have said they will not negotiate with him if he opts out.  That alone totally changes the economic environment for A Rod.  I think their plan is to save their $ for Johan and/or Peavy

Mets 2 best players play ARods position, and they already have a very high payroll.  They need more pitching, not A Rod.  See Johan and Peavy.

Angels have said they are not interested in a player taking up that much of their payroll.  That is consistent with their history, of going after mid-level FA like Gary Matthews Jr.  They have options in the FA market to fill their need.

Dodgers could make a play, but they have not been willing to spend huge $'s in the past few years.  I think they are the front runner, but there has to be another team willing to push the bidding for A Rod to get $30 million.  The Dodgers would not take a PR hit if they passed on A Rod, but let the public know they offered $20-22 million.  People will see the Dodgers as making a legit offer and A Rod being a greedy whore, which of course is what he is.

Cubs have already spent oodles and oodles, they already have Aramas Ramirez who is signed to a big deal (as well as Lee, Soriano, Lilly, Zambrano, DeRosa, blah blah blah), plus they are up for sale.  No way they fork over $25+ a year for 8 years which is what A Rod wants.

White Sox are not even a possibility.  Jerry Reinsdorf is a tight ass.

Florida, get real.

Houston has never been afraid to spend, but they dropped a $100 mill on Carlos Lee last year.  They IMO are a legit suitor but I don't see them pushing over $22 mil

Giants have too much debt, and they just got taken by Barry Zito.

Mariners just signed Ichiro to a big deal, and that doesn't fit their MO.

Detroit just added a big contract in Renteria at SS, and signed Inge long term.  They are going to save some of their money for Bonderman, Verlander, Miller, Granderson.  They already have big contracts committed to Ordonez, and Sheffield.

Phillies I just don't see them dropping that kind of money.  They might take a run at $22 mil, but no more.  They saw what happened when they extended Abreu after he turned 30, and the mistake they made with Thome.

Cards have Rolen and that is not their MO.

Bo Sox will go after Lowell hard, and I think they can get him for $10 to $15 mill less than ARod.  I think he will stay for a good contract.

There will be lots of interest at $18 to $20 million a year, and teams will drop off with each additional million.  Once it gets to $22 IMO there are only a couple of teams that might still be there.  At $25, besides the Yankees I don't see anyone, and the Yankees have made it clear they have no interest now.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 04:25:44 PM »

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 01:55:50 PM »
I will make one addendum as regards to a team that may take a flier on A Rod.  That is Toronto, and the reason is simply related to the incredible strength of the Canadian $. 

In the past 3-1/2 years (April of 2004) the Canadian $ has appreciated in value from $1.40 per US$ to $0.93 per US$.  In 2002 the Canadian $ was at 1.6 per US$. Their revenues from ticket sales, concessions, parking, local radio, local TV, and National Canadian TV is all in C$, their US TV and radio revenue is in US$, and their revenue sharing is in us$.  Their player costs are in US$.

I would expect that relatively speaking their income stream in C$ has fallen about 1/2 as much their player costs.  If their payroll in 2004 was $60 million US$ that was $84 million Canadian.  Today that payroll cost of US$60 million is now C$ $56 million.  That is a $28 million drop in costs, while revenue has dropped perhaps only 1/2 of that (US TV revenue, and satellite radio).  In other words the Blue Jays are flush with cash.  If they can figure out a way to unload Troy Glaus and his big contract, they free up some more, and then they very well could move to the top of the food chain.  If they are able to hedge this differential for a while, and considering that they are owned by Labatts, I am sure they can take on the debt to do so, then they can lock themselves into this improved cost structure for a good portion of A Rods contract, which means they could pay A Rod US$25 mil, but it only costs them Cad$22.5 mil, as opposed to the $35 million it would have been in 2004.  In other words they could save themselves $12.5 million over what the cost would have been just a couple of years ago, like when ARod was traded by Texas to the Yankees.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 02:16:14 PM by ziggy »

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 12:50:39 AM »
You know what makes me sick?

This weird feeling I have that the Dodgers are going to go after him esp now that Joe Torre is the skipper.  I don't want to have to root for this guy at all....but if hes in Dodger blue, ARGH.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com