Author Topic: Tony Parker hitting weight room hard  (Read 6418 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tony Parker hitting weight room hard
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 02:54:49 PM »
I don't know how you can argue your stance Lurker, it's pretty obvious what everyone else is saying.  Except for Nash having more talent than Parker, anybody who thinks that is on crack.

You are confusing talent and skill.

Speed, jumping and court vision are talents.
Shooting, driving and dishing are skills.

Smush Parker has more talent than Tony Parker but Smush is not even 1/5 as good a player as Tony.

Speed?  I would say Parker beats everyone on that list.

Jumping?  I haven't seen the likes of Nash, Kidd, Billups, Williams (All 3) show better jumping abilities.  Arenas, Davis - yes better jumpers but does it translate into better skills?

Court vision?  Not sure how to measure this.  But if you have a method I would be happy to see the results.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 04:01:09 PM »
Apparently, Lurker, with Parker and Avery Johnson as two of the players you routinely talk up, you (and apparently your hometown team, as well) just have some sort of fetish for mediocre point guards!

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 04:15:25 PM »
Apparently, Lurker, with Parker and Avery Johnson as two of the players you routinely talk up, you (and apparently your hometown team, as well) just have some sort of fetish for mediocre point guards!

But those "mediocre" PGs have more rings than the so-called more talented ones.  And played significant roles in earning them.

And besides general opinion (i.e. subjective) I have yet to see any facts to support the lengthy list of "more talented" point guards.  I have tried to address the items that are brought up and the only responses I get is "you are wrong". 

Just to add fuel...that mediocre PG named Avery Johnson ranks 29th on the all time assists leaders in the NBA.  And is one of only 2 players under 6 foot to play over 1,000 NBA games. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 04:22:51 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 04:29:57 PM »
By the same argument style, Lurker, I can argue that Parker is far superior to what John Stockton ever was.

And Byron Scott was a much greater 2-guard than Joe Dumars.

And let's not forget wonderful power forwards like Otis Thorpe as compared to those mediocre types like Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowtizki, Charles Barkley, and Karl Malone.

Simply put, contracts equal, if San An gets an offer of Chris Paul for Tony Parker, they accept, whereas the Hornets refuse.  Ditto with the Jazz and Deron Williams, ditto with the Wizards and Gilbert Arenas, ditto with the Pistons and Chauncey Billups, or the Suns and Nash.  Numbers and records aside, there's a difference in the overall level of talent.

Accept it as a given before I start pointing out things like Luc Longley has more rings than David Robinson.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 04:53:17 PM »
Simply put, contracts equal, if San An gets an offer of Chris Paul for Tony Parker, they accept, whereas the Hornets refuse.  Ditto with the Jazz and Deron Williams, ditto with the Wizards and Gilbert Arenas, ditto with the Pistons and Chauncey Billups, or the Suns and Nash.  Numbers and records aside, there's a difference in the overall level of talent.
They consider it.  I don't think they accept it.
Parker is only 25 and is getting better every year.
3 rings and 2nd fastest to 300 wins behind only Magic Johnson, that's not all coatail riding no way.
Court vision is not the equal of Nash or Kidd, but then whose is?  Those two are in a league of their own.  Tonys shooting is vastly improved, while stats don't tell everything they also can't be called meaningless and his 50% + for the last two years is great.  If he can add a trey he'll be a triple threat.
Took Isiah Thomas a while to improve his trey also.  Once he did he was nails in the title series.

As to his "lucking" out, contraire.  Pops slow down offense whereupon Tony is oftentimes, especially early in his career supposed to do nothing more then dump it to Tim and cut thru in a 78-76 game keeps his assists down.  And if you didn't see his shooting in the 2007 Finals, well you just missed it.  Some think as the #1 option on a crappy but running team he may well ave 27 28 29 maybe even 30 a game.  I've seen plenty of nifty assists by Tony the past two years, many created by his speed.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 04:58:57 PM »

Except for Nash...IMO the Spurs would not trade Parker for any of those listed.  Paul, Arenas and D-Williams have not proved that they are better players than Parker...that is just opinion.   Again this is just another subjective argument...your opinion that those trades would be accepted by the Spurs and declined by the others.

The ring argument was tongue in cheek.  But I will still contend that mediocre point guards don't finish 29th on the list of all-time assists leaders (BTW #28 on the list is some Canadian who just moved up this year).

-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »

Court vision?  Not sure how to measure this.  But if you have a method I would be happy to see the results.

Number of insane, how did he see that player and get the ball to him type highlight passes.  Like Steve Nash' off handed bounce pass from half court to a streaking Barbosa.  Or Jason Kidd's behind the back passes in traffic.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 11:31:46 PM »

Number of insane, how did he see that player and get the ball to him type highlight passes.  Like Steve Nash' off handed bounce pass from half court to a streaking Barbosa.  Or Jason Kidd's behind the back passes in traffic.

From what little I've seen, LeBron seems to have court vision on their level.  For what it's worth, Parker has more talent than Stockton but he's not on his level, same goes for Nash.  IMO court vision is knowing where everyone on the court is at all times, not neccessary seeing where everyone is at but knowing.  IMO that's the difference between court vision and sight.  Making passes that are dead on in the right situation when nothing is really there is the result of great court vision because it's not obvioius to anyone, including team mates, where or when you are looking.  Not something I see in Parker.  J-Will is another guy who had great court vision but unfortunately he also had horrid decision making skills.

I don't understand why Lurker cannot see the difference between talent and skill, now he's trying to bring production into the mix. 
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 06:45:16 AM »

OK.  I'll agree that Kidd & Nash have better court vision.  But what about the other 8-10 names used in this thread?
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2007, 06:55:47 AM »

From what little I've seen, LeBron seems to have court vision on their level.  For what it's worth, Parker has more talent than Stockton but he's not on his level, same goes for Nash.  IMO court vision is knowing where everyone on the court is at all times, not neccessary seeing where everyone is at but knowing.  IMO that's the difference between court vision and sight.  Making passes that are dead on in the right situation when nothing is really there is the result of great court vision because it's not obvioius to anyone, including team mates, where or when you are looking.  Not something I see in Parker.  J-Will is another guy who had great court vision but unfortunately he also had horrid decision making skills.

I don't understand why Lurker cannot see the difference between talent and skill, now he's trying to bring production into the mix. 

Actually I believe that others brought shooting skills into the discussion (see Skander's comment on horrible FT shooting). 

But if you want to focus on talent...speed, jumping, court vision...then I maintain that Parker has more talent than Nash and Kidd.  I am not claiming that Parker is a better player...Nash & Kidd have much better skills as well as experience.  But speed wise Parker is faster & quicker than Nash or Kidd.  Jumping skill...I would bet on the 24 year old to have livelier legs than the 36 year olds. However, without ever seeing the 3 in a jumping contest that is difficult to judge.  Court vision - Nash/Kidd have the edge.  So overall I would say that Parker wins on talent but Kidd/Nash win on experience and knowing how to use thier skills that they developed.  Give Parker another 10-12 years and who knows.

Should we look at another?  How about Arenas...speed; again, Parker has the edge.  Jumping - this goes to Gilbert.  Court vision - IMO Parker has better vision than Arenas based on seeing passes that make you go "whoa, did you see that?"  But then I see Parker play 75-80 games a year and only see Arenas play 6-7 times.

This entire discussion goes back to the one at the end of the playoffs...is Parker a top 3 PG.  In that thread...as well as this one...I won't deny that Nash/Kidd are the undisputed top 2 PGs in the league.  But are they the top 2 based on talent?  Or production/skills/experience?  Let me know what we are defining as talent and I'll continue the discussion.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2007, 08:49:34 AM »
This entire discussion goes back to the one at the end of the playoffs...is Parker a top 3 PG.  In that thread...as well as this one...I won't deny that Nash/Kidd are the undisputed top 2 PGs in the league.  But are they the top 2 based on talent?  Or production/skills/experience?  Let me know what we are defining as talent and I'll continue the discussion.

I don't know if you are bing serious or just arguing for arguments sake.  I don't agree that Parker has more talent than Kidd, Kidd is bigger and stronger than Parker.  I guess talent maybe the wrong term to use because you seem to get hung up on it.  We ranked the PG based on the players, which includes EVERYTHING they bring to their teams.  Talent, skills, leadership, production, experience, ect... Parker is not top 3, I don't think he cracks the top 5.

Talent is something you are born with, skills you have to learn.  You maybe born with "hops" and not know how to jump correctly while someone with less "hops" learns to use it correctly and gets the same results as you.  On the flip, if all things are equal (training, equipment, effort, etc...) the person with natural "hops" will get better results.  To Parkers credit, he's accomplished more through work than players with more talent have accomplished. 
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2007, 09:13:35 AM »

I don't know if you are bing serious or just arguing for arguments sake.  I don't agree that Parker has more talent than Kidd, Kidd is bigger and stronger than Parker.  I guess talent maybe the wrong term to use because you seem to get hung up on it.  We ranked the PG based on the players, which includes EVERYTHING they bring to their teams.  Talent, skills, leadership, production, experience, ect... Parker is not top 3, I don't think he cracks the top 5.

Talent is something you are born with, skills you have to learn.  You maybe born with "hops" and not know how to jump correctly while someone with less "hops" learns to use it correctly and gets the same results as you.  On the flip, if all things are equal (training, equipment, effort, etc...) the person with natural "hops" will get better results.  To Parkers credit, he's accomplished more through work than players with more talent have accomplished. 

Talent/skills...IMO Parker is above average; in your opinion he's not.

IMO talent got him drafted into the NBA as a 19 year old.  Skills is what he has worked on and improved.  His decision making, his shooting form, his ball handling...these are skills that have improved.  But underlying those skills is a decent amount of talent or athletic ability.  Quickness, speed, the ability to contort his body...these are talents that he was born with and use to great advantage on the court.

Kidd is bigger and stronger than Parker

So being bigger and stronger is talent.  Thus Kevin Duckworth was more talented than Tim Duncan.  And I noticed you focused on Kidd...what about the other 10-12 names?

Also I find it amusing that the discussion has again come around to comparing Parker to just Kidd & Nash.  What about the other 10-12 players that are supposedly more talented than Parker?  Where is the discussion outlining how you have determined that Parker is average/mediocre?  Something besides "because I say so".
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2007, 10:17:36 AM »
Parker does not have more talent then Kidd.  Not now, not when Kidd was in his prime.  Kidd has Tony beat in every department except for speed/ability to get to the rim.  Jason Kidd's defense is better then Tony's.  It has to be because he has never had the anchor of Tim Duncan on his squad.  The way he runs the fast break and his raw passing ability is much better.  Kidd is also the leader of the squads he is on, Parker really got his first taste of that in the playoffs this year where one of his teammates straight said they rode his back to win a series.

I tend to agree with Lurker that the Spurs are not going to give up Tony Parker for a lot of guys on that list.  Gilbert Arenas has more talent then Tony Parker but he would not be able to do what Tony does and is still doing for this squad.  The same goes for Baron Davis and Chris Paul.  All 4 guys have much more athletic ability and can score/pass the day lights out...doesn't mean that is what the Spurs need or want.  They had a chance to replace Parker with Jason Kidd when he was coming off some impressive seasons and did not pull the trigger so that should tell you how much he is worth to the Spurs franchise.

Btw Reality...you are riding for Tony Parker pretty hard here but I have to call you out for being upset that they did not replace him for Jason Kidd a handful of summers ago.  That has to be brought up because you don't like him that much lol
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2007, 11:52:32 AM »
Btw Reality...you are riding for Tony Parker pretty hard here but I have to call you out for being upset that they did not replace him for Jason Kidd a handful of summers ago.  That has to be brought up because you don't like him that much lol
I was for the signing of Jason Kidd in summer 2002, absolutely.  The Spurs planned on keeping Parker for at least 2003 also.  Yes i was for starting Kidd and having Parker be either backup or at times both of them on the floor.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 12:32:31 PM »
Talent/skills...IMO Parker is above average; in your opinion he's not.

Right--above average, not great, not awesome, not all-NBA, not Top 3, not Top 5.

But underlying those skills is a decent amount of talent or athletic ability.

Right--a decent amount of talent, not great amount, large amount, huge amount, all-world amount, just decent.

Lurker you're making our argument for us!
=================================
What about the other 10-12 players that are supposedly more talented than Parker?

Fine, Lurker, since I was the guy to bring out the names, I'll go ahead and make the case, playing by your rules, of course.  We seem to be in agreement that Parker doesn't sniff Nash or Kidd's jock, let's take those two names out.

Baron Davis -- Over the last 4 years, Davis has nearly doubled Parker's career assist total.   Career steals double Parker's, he outrebounds Parker, and has converted six times the 3 pointers made in 25 less games played on average.  To say nothing of the fact that he led a rag-tag, undisciplined, bottom-feeding 8th seed and masterfully unfolded one of the greatest playoff upsets OF ALL TIME!

Chris Paul -- Once again, more assists, more steals, more rebounds, has a long range game (you know what, I'm going to consider that Parker does NOT have a long range game--I mean when he hasn't attemted more than 40 in either of the last two years and still has converted at a 35% clip--it just doesn't exist and as a guard, I'm going to hold it against him--like I do for Devin Harris, Avery Johnson, Brevin Knight, Andre Miller, or any other guard that does not have this most basic of skills, since comparing Parkers's stats with these guys will be silly, I'll just state they have a long range game under each).  Back to Paul, oh yeah, better FT shooter, he has a greater PER and comparable TS% for all you rave about Parker's 50% from layup.  And he's three years younger for all you rave about Parker's youth.  

Chauncey Billups -- Billups had 8 seasons of sub-par assist numbers to drag his career average down and STILL has the same career average as Parker.  Has less TOs per game even though he's primary ball handler on his team, Parker defers to Ginobili as ball handler quite often.  Is about 72 million times the free throw shooter Parker is.  Once again (and you'll be hearing this a lot) has a long range game.  Billups has had 2 All-Defense selections, Parker zero.  Billups has 2 All-NBA selections, Parker zero.  

Stephon Marbury -- Let's throw in the last two extremely Mediocre years by Mr. "Starbury" ::)  For his career, he still scores more, passes more, steals more, shoots a better free throw, has a long range game, AND (and this shocked me truthfully) has a higher PER.  Both are two-time All-Stars but Marbury was 2-time All-NBA Third Team.  

Mike Bibby -- Okay, he passes more, steals more, shoots better free throws, has long ra--this is getting repetitive and boring.  EVERBODY on my list does these same basic point guard things better than Tony Parker.  I'll mention when a player doesn't, how's that.

Deron Williams -- Review how much better Chris Paul is, statistically, than Tony Parker and know that many respected basketball communities consider this guy better than Paul.  Posting 9.3 apg (almost double TP) at the tender age of 23  is pretty good.

Mo Williams -- You laugh at me that I would even dare to have the AUDACITY of stating this guy "probably" has more talent that Tony Parker.  Would it interest you to know that the ONLY thing this guy didn't do better than Tony Parker last year was score, hmmmmm?

Kirk Hinrich -- ISN'T EVEN A FULL FREAKIN' POINT GUARD and has averaged more assists every single year than Tony Parker's best season!  Defensively he's superior to Tony Parker (as is everyone on this list with the exception of Marbury, Mo Williams, and Mike Bibby) and has an All-Defensive selection to prove it.  

and lastly but most ridiculously . . .  

Gilbert Arenas--  Let's forget about the fact that Arenas averages more points, more rebounds, more assists, more steals, more ft attempts, better FT percentage, more 3 pointers made, better 3 point percentage, and sports a higher PER.  Let's forget about ALL that.  Next time Parker drops 60 points in one game, you be sure to let know--case closed.

There . . .  Nash, Kidd, Davis, Paul, Billups, Marbury, Bibby, D Williams, M Williams, Hinrich, Arenas.  11 guys statiscally proven to be better than Tony Parker in almost all facets of PG play, except FG%.  And excuuuuuse me if I aesthetically prefer most of these guys 45% ability to shoot from ANYWHERE rather than Parker's ability to shoot 50% from layup.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 12:38:50 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."