Author Topic: Terrorists use children who don't want to die . .  (Read 8415 times)

jn

Terrorists use children who don't want to die . .
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2004, 11:04:05 AM »
Here's some numbers X3.   By the way when you talk about "I suppose our military was created just to sit around and look pretty"  you are mirroring Madeline Albright who was ripped conservative detractors when she said "What good is our splendid military if we aren't going to use it."

Washington, D.C. . . .While the rest of the world is cutting military spending, the United States is adding billions to its military budget.

President Bush told the nation yesterday that the U.S. military budget for fiscal 2003 will be $379 billion, an increase of $48 billion over fiscal year 2002.

"The U.S. increase of $48 billion is larger than that the annual military budget of any other country in the world," said John Isaacs, president of Council for a Livable World.

"At a time when the U.S. should be most concerned with homeland defense and a highly mobile force to combat terrorism abroad, the budget is going to continue to fund billions of dollars in aircraft, submarines, ships and other weapons designed to fight the Soviet Union," Isaacs continued.

"Adding $48 billion to the Pentagon budget is like providing an overweight person with dozens of fat-filled deserts; rather than forcing the Pentagon to diet to be more trim and focus on transformation, the military will try to buy more of everything," he concluded.

* The U.S. figure is a future budget authority total; the other country

figures are from past years and are outlay totals.

Military Budget - Countries

$ 379 billion (2003) - United States
$48 billion - increase from Fiscal 2002 to 2003

$ 34.8 billion ( 2001 ) - United Kingdom

$ 29 billion ( 2000 ) - Russia

$ 27 billion ( 2000 ) - France

$ 23.1 billion ( 2001 ) - Germany

$ 18.7 billion ( 2000 ) - Saudi Arabia

$ 15.9 billion ( 2000 ) - India

$ 14.5 billion ( 2000 ) - China

$ 12.8 billion ( 2000 ) - South Korea

$ 12.8 billion ( 2000 ) - Taiwan

$ 7.5 billion ( 2000 ) - Iran

$ 3.3 billion ( 2000 ) - Pakistan

$ 1.8 billion ( 2000 ) - Syria

$ 1.4 billion ( 1999 ) - Iraq

$ 1.3 billion ( 2000 ) - North Korea

$ 1.3 billion ( 2000 ) - Yugoslavia

$ 1.2 billion ( 2000 ) - Libya

$ 425 million ( 2000) - Sudan

$ 31 million ( 2000 ) - Cuba

Source: The International Institute for Strategic Studies

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2004, 11:53:17 AM »
What you fail to mention is how many "billions"(of outdated dinars no less) is Al Quaida throwing at their military??  We have to keep up with Al Quaia, and spending billions on military and not infiltrating their organizations is the way to get this done. Here's how it works. We spend a billion on a tank. They spend $23 on a kid to blow himself up at the Gaza strip.

You demo's just don't get it, do ya? :blink:  
Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2004, 12:04:48 PM »
Here's some numbers X3.   By the way when you talk about "I suppose our military was created just to sit around and look pretty"  you are mirroring Madeline Albright who was ripped conservative detractors when she said "What good is our splendid military if we aren't going to use it."

Washington, D.C. . . .While the rest of the world is cutting military spending, the United States is adding billions to its military budget.

President Bush told the nation yesterday that the U.S. military budget for fiscal 2003 will be $379 billion, an increase of $48 billion over fiscal year 2002.

"The U.S. increase of $48 billion is larger than that the annual military budget of any other country in the world," said John Isaacs, president of Council for a Livable World.

"At a time when the U.S. should be most concerned with homeland defense and a highly mobile force to combat terrorism abroad, the budget is going to continue to fund billions of dollars in aircraft, submarines, ships and other weapons designed to fight the Soviet Union," Isaacs continued.

"Adding $48 billion to the Pentagon budget is like providing an overweight person with dozens of fat-filled deserts; rather than forcing the Pentagon to diet to be more trim and focus on transformation, the military will try to buy more of everything," he concluded.

* The U.S. figure is a future budget authority total; the other country

figures are from past years and are outlay totals.

Military Budget - Countries

$ 379 billion (2003) - United States
$48 billion - increase from Fiscal 2002 to 2003

$ 34.8 billion ( 2001 ) - United Kingdom

$ 29 billion ( 2000 ) - Russia

$ 27 billion ( 2000 ) - France

$ 23.1 billion ( 2001 ) - Germany

$ 18.7 billion ( 2000 ) - Saudi Arabia

$ 15.9 billion ( 2000 ) - India

$ 14.5 billion ( 2000 ) - China

$ 12.8 billion ( 2000 ) - South Korea

$ 12.8 billion ( 2000 ) - Taiwan

$ 7.5 billion ( 2000 ) - Iran

$ 3.3 billion ( 2000 ) - Pakistan

$ 1.8 billion ( 2000 ) - Syria

$ 1.4 billion ( 1999 ) - Iraq

$ 1.3 billion ( 2000 ) - North Korea

$ 1.3 billion ( 2000 ) - Yugoslavia

$ 1.2 billion ( 2000 ) - Libya

$ 425 million ( 2000) - Sudan

$ 31 million ( 2000 ) - Cuba

Source: The International Institute for Strategic Studies
there has GOT to be something missing from that total.  the UK alone is hard to believe it could or would get by on such a small number when you compare the value of the pound to the us dollar.  something has to be missing jn.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 12:10:07 PM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jn

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2004, 12:29:54 PM »
Here's a link to some different numbers.  Even with the higher numbers listed we still VASTLY outspend.

http://www.cdi.org/issues/wme/spendersFY03.html

And no, there really DOESN'T have to be something else.  We just plain have that much more money to spend and a desire to spend it on the military.  This has been true for many years.  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2004, 03:15:04 PM »
Why haven't we invaded China?  The whole world say what they did at Tenium Square (sic?).  Is the US just a PUNK ARSE BITCH that only picks on the little guys?

I'm sick and tired about the BS statements of taking out a "brutal" dictator.  That's NOT why the US went in there!  There are plenty of brutal dicators/govs that we turn a blind eye to and even buddy up to them.

How can rational people argue this?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2004, 04:21:39 PM »
Why haven't we invaded China?  The whole world say what they did at Tenium Square (sic?).  Is the US just a PUNK ARSE BITCH that only picks on the little guys?

I'm sick and tired about the BS statements of taking out a "brutal" dictator.  That's NOT why the US went in there!  There are plenty of brutal dicators/govs that we turn a blind eye to and even buddy up to them.

interesting facts and tid bits jn, news to me indeed.  will haveto think some on that info to be for sure.

Wow, never said it was about brutal dictators only, i think resources and investments have a lot to do with how we pick and chose our fights, other haiti and africa would be on the top of the list...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2004, 04:53:31 PM »
Why haven't we invaded China?  The whole world say what they did at Tenium Square (sic?).  Is the US just a PUNK ARSE BITCH that only picks on the little guys?

I'm sick and tired about the BS statements of taking out a "brutal" dictator.  That's NOT why the US went in there!  There are plenty of brutal dicators/govs that we turn a blind eye to and even buddy up to them.

interesting facts and tid bits jn, news to me indeed.  will haveto think some on that info to be for sure.

Wow, never said it was about brutal dictators only, i think resources and investments have a lot to do with how we pick and chose our fights, other haiti and africa would be on the top of the list...
But why was Iraq at the top of the list?

Because GW wanted to get Saddam?

None of the other reasons...er, excuses...have proven valid.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2004, 05:00:19 PM »
"Tiananmen Square" you flogging moron.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2004, 05:03:13 PM »
"Tiananmen Square" you flogging moron.
Hey he admitted he was sick (sic).  What more does you want?  ;)  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2004, 05:09:06 PM »
Hey, I'll be honest; I had to look it up. But at least I looked it up!

No really, I just wanted to type the words "flogging moron." That's got to be the best "churching-up" of profanity I've ever seen.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2004, 05:11:57 PM »
Why haven't we invaded China?  The whole world say what they did at Tenium Square (sic?).  Is the US just a PUNK ARSE BITCH that only picks on the little guys?

I'm sick and tired about the BS statements of taking out a "brutal" dictator.  That's NOT why the US went in there!  There are plenty of brutal dicators/govs that we turn a blind eye to and even buddy up to them.

But why was Iraq at the top of the list?

Because GW wanted to get Saddam?

None of the other reasons...er, excuses...have proven valid.
oh i am sure the fact that it is the worlds second largest source of crude had nothing to do with it either.......like i said, resources.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2004, 05:33:08 PM »
other haiti and africa would be on the top of the list...
That's exactly what some of are saying but the apologist don't want to face the OBVIOUS facts.  Like the administrations their followers throw up smoke screens and red herrings to try and AVOID that arguments.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2004, 05:37:21 PM »
That's exactly what some of are saying but the apologist don't want to face the OBVIOUS facts.  Like the administrations their followers throw up smoke screens and red herrings to try and AVOID that arguments.
Would you two please try using some semblance of English.  The translator on my computer has worn out.

:ph34r:  
-Moody Blues

jn

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2004, 05:44:02 PM »
"smoke screens and red herrings to try and AVOID that arguments."

Mmmmm....smoked herring.  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2004, 05:45:42 PM »
if there was an arguement to begin with.  show me any country that has gone in to protect another nation just for "good will" when it was not a world war or something that affected our resources, economy, or influence.