Author Topic: Football Suicide League  (Read 6063 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Football Suicide League
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 11:18:14 AM »
Skandery and jn don't forget to vote.

Who is HardHittinMarkShittin?

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 11:39:13 AM »
That's Caleb (Wolverine).
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 11:56:58 AM »
Skandery and jn don't forget to vote.

Who is HardHittinMarkShittin?

As Joe mentioned, that's me.  All of my fantasy baseball teams are stamped with "Hard Hittin" Mark Whiten, a tribute to one of the greatest players of the modern era ...

To be quite honest, I just thought for the purposes of both the survivor football and pick 'em leagues, "HardHittinMarkShittin" sounded funny.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 12:08:02 PM »
You've been hanging around with Shannon too much.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Congrats Reality
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2007, 07:39:46 PM »
San Diego took us all down this week. 

It's just too fishy that you live in San Diego and we all picked San Diego and lost this week making you the winner.  Something ain't right.  What'd you do spike Norv's drink--spike the Chiefs locker room punch bowl with HGH.  Something happened . . . now come clean!

Congrats dude! 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 12:59:34 PM »
You guys have now been officially "Norved".

Do any of you consider Dallas?

Thanks for the congrats.  Last two years i looked ahead and tried to save the "locks" for future weeks, resulting in 1st or 2nd round flamage.  This season other then my Homer Simpson 1st week pick of SDG I've played it real safe. 

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 01:24:03 PM »
I liked Dallas but thought their secondary was susceptible and St. Louis with (Bulger/Holt/Bruce/etc.) might be able to take advantage, even the rookie RB Leonard (replacing Jackson) was touted as a great receiver out of the backfield. 

I figured KC looked like 3rd grade schoolgirls against HOU!!  SD will be hopping mad about their start to the season and playing at home against a bunch of 3rd grade schoolgirls, this is a lock--I'm guessin' Joe and Caleb thought much the same.  I didn't take into account the (anti)power of Norv. 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 02:52:46 PM »
LaDainian Tomlinson - 116 rushing yards in the first half on 17 carries

LaDainian Tomlinson - 16 rushing yards in the second half on three carries

Great coaching, Norv.

You're ahead in the second half and don't put the ball in the hands of your best player to wear down the Chiefs' defense and burn time off the clock?

Hmmm ... I wonder why his career record as a head coach is 59-85-1?
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 03:22:49 PM »
Believe me Wolf its all aspects of the game, i could write a novel, especially his goofy playcalling.
Last week vs Green Bay the exact opposite.  LT getting stuffed, Phillip Rivers 16-17 and then 21-25 as they came back to take a 21-17 lead.  Norv stopped passing after that.

On D, after completely blowing the 1st half lead and being tied 16-16, Merriman gets a sack to force 3rd and 19.  Quenten Jammer then guards his reciever one yard away at the line of scrimmage.  Plus Jammer does not jam him after the snap, at all.  Who in their right NFL mind guards a reciever one yard away on 3rd and 19?  With no safety or backup behind him.  Yet these type plays continue again and again.  I can only conclude the gambling lords have gotten to him.

Charger D stuffs KC (Merriman gets into backfield) on 3rd down with 1:58 before haltime at the 10 yardline.  Why signifigant?  Because Chief is going to hit the chip shot field goal, so why not try to march it back the other way before haltime?
The entire crown i sat by was saying Norvert would you call a *&^% timeout!!!  After that 3rd down stop and KC slowly marching the field goal unit on (stalling on purpose to let play clock run down), Norv sits there and lets the clock run down!  KC boots field goal for 13-6 and now Chargers have 1:14 left instead of 2 minutes. 45 seconds run off!! 
Ensuing drive we get it all the way up to KC 20 and could have totally used the extra time.  Oh but thats not all.  On this drive, LT rips off a 37 yard run for a 1st down to KC 41 yd line!!!  At conclusion of play, Norv lets clock tick from 1:07 to :34.  Yes he had a timeout (also could spike).  I'm not making this up, look at the play by play.  This is where.... -insert sub high school strategy-... crowd was  just like "what are you thinking Norv?"  Now we hurry a few more plays, get closer all the way to 20 yd line but time runs out so we settle for field goal for 16-6.

Opening drive of 3rd quarter the short passing game continues to click.  Quickly get to the KC 41 yardline.  Perfect time to just move chains, go up 23-6 or even the field goal puts a begining of suffocating 19-6 lead on Chiefs.  Instead of continuing to bust LT runs and pass short and middle of field routes, he tries going deep to sideline twice.

Consensus is Norv is fine with one job, that being not even Offensive Coor but rather QBs coach.
Multitasking required by head coaching is something Norv is not at all fitted for.

And now in todays press conference he is blaming the players.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 03:39:37 PM by Reality »

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2007, 08:03:38 PM »

Thanks for the congrats.  Last two years i looked ahead and tried to save the "locks" for future weeks, resulting in 1st or 2nd round flamage.  This season other then my Homer Simpson 1st week pick of SDG I've played it real safe. 

You know Reality, the boys from Mizzou have been Norved, but you have been "AJSmithed".  All the teeth knashing over MartyBall, has lead you to the present state of affairs.  Maybe the reason Marty does so poorly in the playoffs is that he always gets his team to play over their heads, and once the playoffs start the more talented teams win.
As they say "be careful for what you wish for, because you just might get it".
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2007, 11:33:30 AM »
Not that I am a Norv Turner-as-a-head-coach fan, but the Chargers lost both their offensive and defensive coordinators, then fired Shottensh*thead with little time left to get the new coaching staff up to speed with the players and to put a new offensive scheme into place.

In the Chargers' case, the arguement that the pre-season is too long is completely false. They could have used at least another month to get ready for the season.

If the blame game needs to be played in San Diego, start with the front office and work your way down.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2007, 11:36:09 AM »

You know Reality, the boys from Mizzou have been Norved, but you have been "AJSmithed".  All the teeth knashing over MartyBall, has lead you to the present state of affairs.  Maybe the reason Marty does so poorly in the playoffs is that he always gets his team to play over their heads, and once the playoffs start the more talented teams win.

Marty does poorly in the playoffs simply because he gets ultra-conservative once he gets his team there and quits doing what got him to the post season to begin with. He turns rocket science into a three-to-five-year-old's chemistry set.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2007, 11:37:42 AM »
Oh....and one, (very small) GO RAIDERS. Not that wins over Cleveland and Miami are anything to plan Super Bowl parties over, but Oakland would have definitely lost both games last year.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2007, 12:16:55 PM »

Yep, we've been AJ'd, Marty'd and Spanosed.
Martys contribution is waiting until Wade Phillips and Cam Cameron were long gone to try to bring his brother in -again.  Marty knew full well that was against Spanos wishes as he had tried that crap a few years earlier and they made it very clear to Marty "no brother".  The result is a month was waisted, job could have been offered to Wade Phillips or Cameron.  Altho in fairness, Wade is from Texas and may have taken Cowboy job irregardless.

AJ given a month gone by and less options, goes on an ego trip and tries to prove to the world what an innovater he is by hiring Norv.  AJ envisioned a 12-4 season and SuperBowl win with he getting all the credit for seeing what no one else saw, that being Norv being a successful head coach.  Meanwhile he is letting Donnie Edwards go and not even making an attempt at Randy Moss.  His streak of making all the right player movements has certainly come to a stop.  And "Norved" us in the process.  6-10 is entirely possible, it's that bad.  Yeah AJ on a total ego trip with his Norv hiring.

Spanos:  Tough one.  Marty lied about attempting to keep as many of the coaching staff as possible so what were they supposed to do?  On the other hand if you check Martys record after a great regular season record it's 13-3 twice and 12-4 about two more.  Those teams missed the playoffs the following year every time.  Including the 2004 and 2005 Chargers going from 12-4 to 9-7 with even better personell as they added Merriman on Steroids.  So the chant that Marty would have done so well this season is completely unfounded.

Why does San Diego not attract top coaches?  Now last night we had to watch Bud "Bochy" Black up 8-6 elect to go with Blown Game Trevor.  Don't even get me started with his "Marty" regular season stats.  He has sucked in big games for a long time.  Including a mere two days earlier when he also blew it against Milwaukee thus blowing a guaranteed playoff entry vs Phillies.

Jomal as to the new playbook, that was the alleged reason for bringing in Norv and Cotrell ad D Coor.
Same exact playbook, continuity.  What they forgot is what Vince Lombardi said.  "Lots of coaches are great Xs and Os.  What makes a great coach is one who can motivate men."  I thinks that is partially true.  Norv is not good at either.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 12:25:48 PM by Reality »

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2007, 12:46:51 PM »
Norv is not good at either.

Norv. Is. Good. At. Calling. Plays.  Thats it!

Make him your OC and he'll do a wonderful job, make him your head coach and voila . . . its the same with Martz.