Author Topic: JN, Talk to me, are you OK???  (Read 1676 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
JN, Talk to me, are you OK???
« on: August 01, 2007, 08:55:38 PM »
Bad deal about I-35!!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 10:10:29 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: JN, Talk to me, are you OK???
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 11:19:42 PM »
I'm good.  Thanks for asking, my friend.   Very scary as 35 W is always busy, it was rush hour so there was extra traffic and the bridge has been under construction so there were workers on there.  Further, the Mississippi at that point has strong undertow from the dams and locks in the area.

The only weird part for me is that it I had been planning to meet my mom for dinner this week.  Only random scheduling conflicts prevented us from picking Wed which would have put her on the bridge around that time. 

« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 11:33:27 PM by jn »
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 07:52:03 AM »
Glad to hear that you, your family & friends are OK jn. 
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 10:01:34 AM »
Thank goodness for scheduling conflicts.  Good to hear you guys are okay.   
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 10:59:41 AM »
What a nightmare that must have been. We just had an overpass under construction collapse just north of Sacramento. 88 tons of steels came down on top of a FedEx truck passing underneath at that moment. The girders fell in front and in back of the cab of the truck, crushing it to the ground, but the driver was in between (barely) and escaped with only a few scratches and a sprained ankle.

What is up with the lack of safety standards of current work crews doing construction on bridges?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 12:31:17 PM »
I'm good.  Thanks for asking, my friend.   Very scary as 35 W is always busy, it was rush hour so there was extra traffic and the bridge has been under construction so there were workers on there.  Further, the Mississippi at that point has strong undertow from the dams and locks in the area.

The only weird part for me is that it I had been planning to meet my mom for dinner this week.  Only random scheduling conflicts prevented us from picking Wed which would have put her on the bridge around that time. 

Wow...I am VERY glad to hear that scheduling conflicts prevented your mother from being on the bridge.   

JoMaL...don't forget the big issue up in the Bay Area with that freeway collapsing as well.  What the heck are these civil engineers and/or these contractors doing?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 12:33:59 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 01:38:52 PM »
I think aging freeway repair/construction everywhere is scary.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 02:34:11 PM »
I think aging freeway repair/construction everywhere is scary.

Especially in California where we have the most worthless government agency...Caltrans.

Cali residents...have you ever NOT seen a group of Caltrans workers with one guy doing work and the other 5 standing around?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 07:50:51 PM »
What would that cost, like 2 months in Iraq?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070802/ap_on_re_us/bridge_safety

WASHINGTON - More than 70,000 bridges across the country are rated structurally deficient like the span that collapsed in Minneapolis, and engineers estimate repairing them all would take at least a generation and cost more than $188 billion.