Author Topic: Matt Barnes and Mo Cheeks  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Matt Barnes and Mo Cheeks
« on: July 23, 2007, 12:13:25 AM »
Hey i was surfing about the current ref fixing story and came across this.
rt and dabods what is up with this?

Matt Barnes: It has been a dream come true playing for Coach Nelson. I was in Philadelphia prior to coming to Dallas and I was thinking retirement. I was disrespected badly by Mo Cheeks while in Philadelphia and was contemplating pursuing a football career. Then over the summer I worked hard on my game and God blessed me with the opportunity to play in Golden State. Coach Nelson has been a father figure, an uncle, a brother, a mentor, a cousin, and more importantly a friend. You can talk to Coach about anything. When he arrived in Golden State he explained my role and allowed me to flourish. He has given me and my teammates a freedom we felt we never had in the NBA and when it comes from a coaching legend its more powerful.
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-24-11/Matt-Barnes--Mo-Cheeks-Almost-Ended-My-Career.html

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Matt Barnes and Mo Cheeks
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 09:47:52 AM »
rt and dabods what is up with this?

Well, erm...that story's months old.

What's up with it is Matt Barnes' ego needs to be in check.  He feels he was slighted earlier in his career.  He now felt he needed a big time agent to sign big time money.  big time money?  Matt Barnes?  Really?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 10:48:59 AM »
That is not exactly true, dabods.

Barnes did get a bit slighted by Cheeks in Philadelphia. He was playing at 15 to 20 minutes off the bench earlier in his career and then he got to Philadelphia where he sat out most games and played only 10-11 minutes when he did play. At his other stops, he was known as a high energy guy who could do a lot of the little things but often could not find his offense, though his career shooting percentage is decent at 44.5. Cheeks just could not find a role for him, which is odd considering that Matt canb filll several.

I think it motivated him to try to improve. He also benefitted by having Nelson as his coach in GS because he is very typical of the type of player Nelson likes to come off the bench for him.

Saying that a former player needs an ego check just sounds more like sour grapes because your team failed to utilize a player who later found a niche for himself in the NBA. Barnes is just taking advantage of an opportunity and it sounds like he is actually thanking Cheeks for motivating him to improve.

But the worse thing is, I think I read somewhere that Cheeks essentially told Barnes he thought his game was lacking for the NBA.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 12:35:18 PM »
The "slight" of matt barnes was not particularly egregious.  Certainly not to the point where Mo Cheeks disrespected him badly. 

Saying Matt Barnes was a 20 mpg player isn't entirely true.  He played 19 mpg his rookie year (in about half the games), which was increased enormously by his 9 starts.  When he was coming off the bench, he was about a 15 minute per game player.  He then played in 43 games his second year at 16 mpg.  He came over to the Sixers, but was not a part of their plans.  He did not play after the trade, which isn't all that odd, considering how late in the season it was.  He then went to NY and had a cup of coffee.  He then came back to Philly, and played in almost every game, at 11 mpg.  He actually played in a higher % of games there than any other year in his career, and going from 16 mpg to 11 mpg isn't exactly killing a career.  The major difference in his minutes was there wasn't an injury which pushed him into the starting lineup.  When you look at his minutes off the bench, they're very comparable.

This is not sour grapes.  not at all.  There are dozens of Matt Barnes around the league.  What drives me nuts is players thinking they have something handed to them.  Not everything is a "disrespect".  Not getting playing time is not being disrespected.  What drives me nuts is I respected Matt before he got to Philly, but he's been a whiner ever since.   Matt was the 45th pick in the draft (a pretty weak one at that).  He had played in 87 career games before coming to Philly the 2nd time, at 17.6 minutes per game.  Playing in 50 games, at 11 minutes per, isn't exactly disrespect.  Shut up Matt, and play basketball.  It's great you picked it up (although, like I said, there's still dozens of you, and you're not getting a "big money" contract), but do so with a little grace and humility.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 12:49:49 PM »
I could be wrong about this but I'm about %90 certain that Barnes' parents filed a lawsuit against a high school team for not putting their younger son on the Varsity squad.  As I can't do any work because of computer trouble I will research this further.  :-\
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 01:42:23 PM »
Barnes isn't some great NBA player, he got the minutes he deserved in Philly based on what he contributed in the games.  The truth is the Sixers had more than a couple of guys in front of Barnes who were better players.

That is why Dabods statement about Barnes ego is justified. He wasn't disrespected, he didn't earn any more playing time than he got.

Matt is a journeyman player who fits on a team of misfits who play with no discipline at all on defense, and run around like crazy men on offense.  Anyone with ball skills can play for Nellie, but they aren't going to go deep in the playoffs either.

Matt feels like he's something special now because his team had an unexpected playoff victory in the first round.  They might not even make the playoffs next season.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 03:18:54 PM »
IMO comparing minutes from one team to another is tough.  Almost not worth doing.  The reason being is the Sixers and the Warriors play WAYYY different styles of basketball.  Warriors are a much more fast paced team so it makes sense that a high energy player would get more minutes right away.  The Sixers had a different plan of attack and a slower style of play.  Second, the Warriors were clicking and you don't mess with lineups when that is happening.  The Sixers just did not have the same talent the Warriors did last year so it's hard to expect them to go on a tear like GS did.  If they did and Matt Barnes was apart of that tear I guarentee his minutes would have increased.

I agree with DB in the fact that you are note guarenteed minutes nor is not getting any a 'knock' unless your jersey says Wade, James, Bryant, Iverson, etc etc etc.  Matt Barnes is not a star player or even one of the 25 best players in the league.  His minutes should not be guarenteed, he is a role player.  I'd have to echo 'just shut up and play basketball' on that one.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 03:44:55 PM »
The disrespect that Barnes was referring to was a comment that Cheeks made to him about his skills not being NBA worthy. It came out in the local paper a while back, probably last summer when Barnes was in town and had yet to play for the Warriors.

I never heard about his family suing the high school about playing time for their younger son, though.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
The disrespect that Barnes was referring to was a comment that Cheeks made to him about his skills not being NBA worthy. It came out in the local paper a while back, probably last summer when Barnes was in town and had yet to play for the Warriors.

I never heard about his family suing the high school about playing time for their younger son, though.

Maybe it was true in Cheeks day.....but any player who gives 100% at all times on the floor is NBA worthy.  For the simple fact this league has turned into a bunch of lazy pre-madonnas who think everything should be handed to them.  Even layups and dunks.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 06:26:53 PM »
Diplomacy.  Cheeks was trying to motivate him?  The old tell someone they can't do something (succede in NBA) and they (Barnes) go nutts trying to prove you wrong?