Author Topic: Derek Fisher and Utah agree  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Derek Fisher and Utah agree
« on: July 03, 2007, 09:34:59 AM »
Has anyone heard of something like this happening before? I can't remember ever hearing of this kind of situation.

He picked the right organization to ask this of.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Derek Fisher and Utah agree
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 09:55:20 AM »
http://www.nba.com/jazz/news/Jazz_fisher_070702.html

No, I can't remember this ever happening before.  I'm surprised he doesn't think Salt Lake has the facilities to treat his daughter's condition.  Does anyone know what she's suffering from?

Also, I don't see why the Jazz can't work out a trade so they can get some value for him.  It only seems reasonable since they're being this nice that Fish could return the favor.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 10:30:04 AM »
Has anyone heard of something like this happening before? I can't remember ever hearing of this kind of situation.

He picked the right organization to ask this of.

??????? ???

Who are you and what did you do with the poster formerly known as Ted? I know you can't be the real Ted because, well, Ted never posts here any longer.

As for Fisher, he is taking time off from basketball, so it would be a bit hard to trade for him under the circumstances.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 10:44:25 AM »
As for Fisher, he is taking time off from basketball, so it would be a bit hard to trade for him under the circumstances.
  Did Fisher give even a rough time estimate because.... 
Larry H. Miller “Derek will pursue an opportunity as a free agent with a team in a city that has highly specialized medical facilities in order to get the best possible care for his daughter. 
  (Larry H. Miller is not posting here that i know of).

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 11:01:29 AM »
Never heard of asking to be rls'd but Robert Horry did try to do something similar for his daughters condition.  He wanted to move to a team closer to where his wife and daughter live in Houston so he could be closer to them for medical reasons/support.  That is partially why he ended up in SA instead of going back with the Lakers.

Got to love to see a franchise willing to give up a great leader and solid role player for the better.  Kind of makes you feel like there is hope for the NBA not to be run strickly as a business like it is now and with a little bit more family injected into the franchises around the league.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 11:04:37 AM »
Got to love to see a franchise willing to give up a great leader and solid role player for the better.  Kind of makes you feel like there is hope for the NBA not to be run strickly as a business like it is now and with a little bit more family injected into the franchises around the league.
  Very nice to see but i agree with rt, where is the reciprocation? 
Also, I don't see why the Jazz can't work out a trade so they can get some value for him.  It only seems reasonable since they're being this nice that Fish could return the favor.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 11:07:09 AM »
  Very nice to see but i agree with rt, where is the reciprocation? 

Not sure what you expect him to do for Utah.  A trade could take a lot longer to work out then just signing him to a vet minimum by another squad.  Utah is not going anywhere so there is no time frame for them.  His daughter however could watch her health drop quickly if they do not get her the help she needs.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 11:15:17 AM »
Also from a trade point of view what is a 32 year old PG who has a short list of destinations going to get you in return?  Utah would most likely get stuck with a bad contract or bad player.  At the very least the Jazz would be negotiating from a known disadvantage.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 12:57:44 PM »
Can't believe anyone even noticed I was gone . . . New job, tougher surfing rules, sick of talking about George Bush. Those are my reasons.

The Jazz aren't complete losers here. As far as I've heard, thanks to their disciplined approach to the salary cap, this move will free up a significant amount of cap room for a free agent. I'm interested to see what comes of this.

Still, I am proud of my team. They did right by DFish. And I must say, I like the guy. He infuriated me with his "floporama" style when he was on the L-train. But he is a tough competitor, and I'm proud of him for forgoing 20 million guaranteed dollars for his daughter's care. It's not like she wouldn't get the care she needed whether or not he was still in Utah. She could be in NY getting treatment. The fact that he personally needs to be with his family during a time like this makes me respect him more than just about any other typical NBA player I know.

God Bless you Tatum. You're a lucky girl.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 01:13:57 PM »
Fish has also inspired a whole new generation to emulate his play.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqPBJ_6y_5A

Negative Nancys:  The q was did the Jazz even look for a trade or did they just say go for it Fisher.  If so, that is very stand up of the Jazz.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 01:54:27 PM »
Negative Nancys:  The q was did the Jazz even look for a trade or did they just say go for it Fisher.  If so, that is very stand up of the Jazz.

No Talent Comic:  What does it matter?  If they didn't look for a trade you will bash them for not treating it as a "business".  If they did look for a trade you would bash them for being insensitive.  So why keep hammering at it?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 01:58:33 PM »

No Talent Comic:  What does it matter?  If they didn't look for a trade you will bash them for not treating it as a "business".  If they did look for a trade you would bash them for being insensitive.  So why keep hammering at it?
  Just make something up.  Standard MO.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 04:53:05 PM »
Class move by Utah, but don't think business isn't a factor.   As much as I love Fish and he did a great job for Utah he is a 32 yr. old PG with a pretty big contract (5-yrs 36 mil).  That will free up cap space for Utah and is likely a better economic move than they would get in a trade as Lurker already pointed out. 

Other than that all I can say is ... welcome back to LA, DFish!