Author Topic: Movie Reviews  (Read 4252 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Movie Reviews
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 01:37:37 PM »
Skandery -

You can find sophisticated turds anywhere BUT the 11:15 Tuesday morning matinee. And while JoMal would normally be most willing to engage in a pre-caffeine free-for-all, the State's three strikes law hinders his endeavors in those areas.

As for Missouri's digital effects being maligned by Reality, remember, THIS is coming from someone who thinks observing toilet activity by flipping the seat up and down constitutes "flashback" memories.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 03:27:58 PM »
One nice thing about "The Grove" in L.A. is they let you bring food from the stores in the shopping center, my kids were eating pretzels and chili dogs durring the Transformers movie.

Anyone notice the good guys were GMCs and the bad guys were Fords?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 04:08:28 PM »
We saw it at Ronnie's (southside St. Louis new multi-gigaplex).  Don't know if they'll let you bring food, but they do have this cool eat-in that has a drive-in movie theatre theme  where all the tables look like vintage 50s cars and you can see all the previews on a huge screen.

Yeah, WOW, Transformers was pretty much a GM commercial, I think they did the same thing they did for Matrix--payed an exorbitant fee to have the cars exclusively GM model. 

My buddy in St. Louis (biggest Transformers geek I know) was showing off his new 06 Mustang convertible to me before the movie.  After the movie his thoughts were, "dang it I'm driving a bad guy!  (Barricade was the Mustang squad car), now I have to trade this thing in for a Camaro."

You can find sophisticated turds anywhere BUT the 11:15 Tuesday morning matinee. And while JoMal would normally be most willing to engage in a pre-caffeine free-for-all, the State's three strikes law hinders his endeavors in those areas.

The Law...puh.  Has that inconvenience ever stopped JoMal before?

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 03:34:17 PM »
I can't say enough about Transformers.  It really took me back to being a little kid excited for a summer blockbuster.  Haven't really been that happy with a movie in god knows how long.  That is the perfect way to kick off summer movies.  In fact I am off to buy an Optimus Prime helmet that translates your voice into his! LOL

Like Skand said...this really has raised the bar for action movies.  There is just no going back from how they were able to blend those special effects/graphics with what they were doing in real life on the set.  Just amazing.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 04:51:11 PM »
Can you guys please SHUT UP!  I haven't been able to go see it yet, and I'm just dying here.  I'm hoping to go next weekend, but gr.....

I'm more anxious for a movie than I've been in a while.  I've got dual monitors at home, and in one monitor my background's Optimus vs. Megatron, and in the other's Megan Fox (er.....yeah, no comment.  the girlfriend doesn't like that one).  I feel like I'm 6.  And I love it.

*edit* wk, I saw on your blogspot that you're running ubuntu at home.  How you liking it?  I've been using Debian for about a good year, and run Xubuntu at work (Ubuntu with XFCE instead of gnome).  It's a pretty slick little distro, IMO, and I love Debian/apt/Synaptic.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 04:54:19 PM by Derek Bodner »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2007, 07:13:19 PM »
Can you guys please SHUT UP!  I haven't been able to go see it yet, and I'm just dying here.  I'm hoping to go next weekend, but gr.....

I'm more anxious for a movie than I've been in a while.  I've got dual monitors at home, and in one monitor my background's Optimus vs. Megatron, and in the other's Megan Fox (er.....yeah, no comment.  the girlfriend doesn't like that one).  I feel like I'm 6.  And I love it.

*edit* wk, I saw on your blogspot that you're running ubuntu at home.  How you liking it?  I've been using Debian for about a good year, and run Xubuntu at work (Ubuntu with XFCE instead of gnome).  It's a pretty slick little distro, IMO, and I love Debian/apt/Synaptic.

Sorry but we can't shut up.  I never seen a bunch of grown men act this way via the Internet and in real life.  You know when you see little kids get pumped up after movies like they want to be apart of the story or have it happen to them....well  I was driving home pissed that when I press the Honda H on my steering wheel it only honks.  Sad to admit but 100% true.

I love Ubuntu (and my newely changed Bumble Bee Transformers backround).  It my sole OS at home.  I have not had any problems with it what so ever.  Bought a new DVD writer, installed it, bam it found it no problem.  Bought a new Epson 4 in 1, bam it got it working no problem.    Even my GF and roommate have got use to using it as if it was Windows.  I use to run Redhat 5.2 a long time ago rocking just the command prompt so I know my way around LInux a little bit.  its just amazing how far the whole OS has come to be much more universal for all computer users.The one thing that is killing me right now is getting Quicken to work and a few other Windows APPs using WINE.  There are still a few pieces of Windows software I need to use but I don't want to install XP onto this machine or any other machine just for one or two programs.  However I just found a program called Crossover Office that is suppose to fix that issues.  I recommend it to anyone who bothers to listen lol

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2007, 07:24:37 PM »
he one thing that is killing me right now is getting Quicken to work and a few other Windows APPs using WINE.  There are still a few pieces of Windows software I need to use but I don't want to install XP onto this machine or any other machine just for one or two programs.  However I just found a program called Crossover Office that is suppose to fix that issues.  I recommend it to anyone who bothers to listen lol

Do what I do.  Install vmware-server, and install windows in a virtual environment.

Glad to hear it's working out.  It's not at the point where it's for everyone, but once you learn it, it's solid as a rock.      I've been using it as my primary OS for about a year, and haven't even thought about turning back.  Just for fun the other day I installed vista in vmware.  It lasted about a day.  Needless to say MS won't be winning me back anytime soon.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 11:08:05 AM »
Alright, which one of you was this?
http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=3828

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007, 05:14:17 PM »
he one thing that is killing me right now is getting Quicken to work and a few other Windows APPs using WINE.  There are still a few pieces of Windows software I need to use but I don't want to install XP onto this machine or any other machine just for one or two programs.  However I just found a program called Crossover Office that is suppose to fix that issues.  I recommend it to anyone who bothers to listen lol

Do what I do.  Install vmware-server, and install windows in a virtual environment.

Glad to hear it's working out.  It's not at the point where it's for everyone, but once you learn it, it's solid as a rock.      I've been using it as my primary OS for about a year, and haven't even thought about turning back.  Just for fun the other day I installed vista in vmware.  It lasted about a day.  Needless to say MS won't be winning me back anytime soon.

Okay so I did what you do....man that is pretty sweet I have to say.  For some reason I really didn't think of doing that.  What a simple process to get it installed too.  Now I can run Quicken and anything else I need!  Thanks DB.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2007, 08:36:49 PM »
Alright, which one of you was this?
http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=3828

This guy takes part in defending our country?  If that's the case we should self-nuke!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 12:21:40 AM »

so i guess you don't want to hear about Prime being gay??  ooops.    ;D

I caught it monday when it came out and was like "WOW!!!"  THE MOVIE ROCKED!!  Then caught it again with some friends at the IMAX - then find out it was not MADE in IMAX format!!!   WTF NOT?!  it was like watching a regular dvd on blueray!  I am glad to hear that the studio is looking into a sequel.  Anyone notice the dude with the XBOX after things got freaky **this is not a spoiler Derek** you just know this will end up on HDdvd rather than Bluray...that bites. 
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 02:32:06 PM »
wk: cool.

Spurs: WHAT!?!?!?  I planned on going to see it at an IMAX theater this weekend.  That sucks.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 08:50:43 AM »
I was never a fan of Harry Potter, I actually missed out on the whole scene until my kids forced me to take them to the 2nd film.  I went back and saw the first one after that cause the film was pretty good.  Since then we've caught every film on premier day.  My kids and I really enjoy the Harry Potter movies.  Every film has been terrific, amazing considering how poorly most franchise movies do, Star Trek being one of the worse, they seem to get every other move wrong and since TNG they've only pumped out one good one in four.  I was really excited to see the latest movie, looked to be a real breaking out of all the kid characters into full blown leaders of the magic world.  The movie was pretty good, great build up and story line but the ending just fizzled out big time.  The payoff for the movie sucked, reminded me of the Pirates II, just a 2 hour trailer for the next movie as Reality pointed out.  With Pirates though I really enjoyed the 2nd move and was totally burned by part III, number III was a terrible movie.  I hope Potter doesn't go that route, the Order of the Pheonix move was IMO the weakest of the bunch, lots of potential and build up but little to no payoff.

YMMV of course.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2007, 03:45:41 PM »
Saw it last weekend.  You guys were right, the movie friggin rocked.  My car just felt so inadequate driving home. I didn't even have a problem with the modifications from the original, and I thought I would.  Bumblebee may not have been a beetle, but they still captured the essence of Transformers.

And Megan Fox, yikes.  It takes a bit to impress me (looks wise) as a female actress.  she's smokin'

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2007, 04:09:29 PM »
Saw it last weekend.  You guys were right, the movie friggin rocked.  My car just felt so inadequate driving home. I didn't even have a problem with the modifications from the original, and I thought I would.  Bumblebee may not have been a beetle, but they still captured the essence of Transformers.

And Megan Fox, yikes.  It takes a bit to impress me (looks wise) as a female actress.  she's smokin'

The OG Bumble Bee was sitting right next to the new one in the used parking lot.  I think I missed a few little things like that, might see it again.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"