Author Topic: Movie Reviews  (Read 4250 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Movie Reviews
« on: June 29, 2007, 12:16:49 PM »
Okay geeks.  I know you've all begun lining up today for Transformers.  But should you somehow see these other ones, let us know.

Ratatouille My hope is Pixar has not yet been ruined by Disney to pull off another good one.
Sicko  I've heard Mr Fabricate did well on this, accurate like his inner city L.A. one.
Evan Almighty dont know dont care

La Vie En Rose aka life story of Edith Piaf.  jn, Jomal or Rolando Blackman if he ever comes back from lurking or if the Mrs drags you to this are the only ones who would probably consider this.  I gotta tell you i found it very disappointing, altho the ending saves it from being bad to only fairly bad.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Movie Reviews
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 12:31:17 PM »
and remember, beauty is only skin deep and doesn't last forever.

outside her trailer with her hair dyed red for her role as Jimmy Fallon's mom in the upcoming flick, "Rockett."

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 12:37:36 PM »
The reviews for Ratatoullie are extrememly positive so far. Unlike you I'm not a big fan of this style of animation but I might check this one out. 

Thanks for the tip on the Rose movie.  I don't know anything about it.

Also I finally caught Blades of Glory.  I was extremely surprised.  Much better than I expected.  Maybe I was just in the right mood or maybe it was the fact that it hooks the viewer in right away.  The first 5 minutes are absolutely hilarious.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 02:33:31 PM »
Ratatouille is excellent.  SoCalers W.O.W. and westkoast make the extra effort to see in Digital.  Anyone else too since digital is expanding.

Get there on time because the 10 minute short at the start of the movie is great.

Time saver:  There is nothing at the end of the credits, and its one of the longest credits ever.  I actually stayed for a good bit of the credits, left and used the restroom, came back and they were still running. :D

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 01:11:44 PM »
Sicko was pretty good.  The shots of interviews in other countries and the 9/11 neglected recieving healthcare there was priceless.

You think he is gonna do another shameless all for Dems boo Repugs when he exposes how much many of the House and Senate recieved from lobbyists, including Bushel.  He then tells how Hillary wanted to make universal healthcare happen in Bills 1st year of office and how the repugs shot it down.  However he quickly adds how she now is on board with the insurance and drug co's, taking #2 in contributions in a recent year.  So he gets off the seeming partisan angle right after you think oh no here he goes.

The shots of him approaching Gitmo with three 9/11 sufferers and asking for the same healthcare the terrorist prisoners recieve is impossible to refute, altho i read where Bushel did and does(?) have his sick em beaurocrats after Moore for some kind of a travel violation.  Along with the woman who could hardly breathe getting cannisters for 50 cents in Cuba that are $120 in the Pharmacutical U.S.

Lastly the guy with the largest anti Moore website.  He posted that he was going to have to shut it down because his wifes insurance company would not pay for treatment she needed.  Moore sent him an anonymous 12K check which he thanked Moore for.  Pretty ironic.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 08:31:17 AM »
Ratatoullie was terrific, really good movie.  From start to finish it was great.

Transformers was pretty good, lots of action and awesome special FX.  It got a little slow in the middle, around the time the transformers visited the kids house and the department 57 got involved.  The opening battle scene was amazing.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 02:11:48 PM »
TRANSFORMERS

Holy mother of all that is good.  What an awesome freakin' movie.  I will eventually give this a proper review but I was blown away by this and I'm still geeked out even though I never watched Transformers cartoon or read the comics. 

Do you guys remember what Terminator 2 did to the Action genre?  How it pretty much elevated the bar for everything else--I believe Transformers has just done that again.  Wow!
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 04:42:24 PM »
TRANSFORMERS

Holy mother of all that is good.  What an awesome freakin' movie.  I will eventually give this a proper review but I was blown away by this and I'm still geeked out even though I never watched Transformers cartoon or read the comics. 

Do you guys remember what Terminator 2 did to the Action genre?  How it pretty much elevated the bar for everything else--I believe Transformers has just done that again.  Wow!

I was totally geeked as well except from the house visit until the arrival at the dam base.

The Bumble Bee upgrade in the tunnel was the best.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 11:00:22 AM »
When you have lived as long as JoMal has, there seldom is anything original that he has not seen before out of Hollywood. So JoMal prefers movies that can still surprise him. If he can not figure out how the movie might end, he might give it some token praise.

At any rate, it would take one hell of a movie to entice JoMal to partake of the theatre experience during its first run at the cellphonefest, kiddies wrestling around your feet, people shouting at the screen crowd you meet at the local Bijou. If I am going to spend 15 bucks for a movie, I prefer to actually SEE the damned thing.

So ask JoMal about these movies sometime in the fall when they come out on DVD.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 11:17:51 AM »
No JoMaL, you'd be missing the point.  This one you HAVE to see on the digital big screen.  Heck if an IMAX around you is showing this thing, go there.  This movie is a visual experience.  Don't expect esoteric themes, shakespearean dialogue, a subtle screenplay, or a dramatic character piece. 

This is a digital, special effects, high octane, extravaganza of light, color, and sound dancing merrily in front of your eyes.  Take in an early weekday matinee if you have to, but just see this on the big screen.     
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 12:14:47 PM »
No JoMaL, you'd be missing the point.  This one you HAVE to see on the digital big screen.  Heck if an IMAX around you is showing this thing, go there.  This movie is a visual experience.  Don't expect esoteric themes, shakespearean dialogue, a subtle screenplay, or a dramatic character piece. 

This is a digital, special effects, high octane, extravaganza of light, color, and sound dancing merrily in front of your eyes.  Take in an early weekday matinee if you have to, but just see this on the big screen.     

Does JoMal have to?

His last several experiences viewing the big screen have not been pleasant. One involved a yelling match that threatened to escalate until the offender made JoMal stand up, at which time the human squawk box realyzed the potential mismatch and quieted down considerably from his previous one-sided conversation he was having with the screen, which is what JoMal got upset about in the first place.

But watching someone's kids rolling down the aisle, through God-knows what crap was down there, while the movie was in progress finally convinced JoMal that it was not worth throwing money at the screen until the theatres actually do something about this nonsense.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 12:31:53 PM »
Does JoMal have to?

You march your behind right into that 11:15 matinee showing next Tuesday morning, Mister.  Aahp!...I don't want to hear it.

If there are various annoyances, you have Skander's permission to bring the pain. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 12:42:11 PM »
Can Sacto be that radical in a morning matinee?
Man we own the place here, they let you bring in your own coffee, it's digital, and the 1st showing of the day for every movie is 5 bucks.
Sounds like you need to retire down here.   Now if we could just get an NBA team to move to The Pond in Anaheim....

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 12:43:33 PM »
By the way Skandery, how did you guys in Missouri see Transformers in digital.  Did Joe position the flashlights on his horse for special effects. 

Woops I'm on a humor ban from Anton Egos.

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 01:06:16 PM »
By the way Skandery, how did you guys in Missouri see Transformers in digital.  Did Joe position the flashlights on his horse for special effects.

Ah don't reckon ah understand whut all that high-falootin' techno mumbo jumbo is all about.  All I know wuz it sure were purty!