Author Topic: Fabs opts out, will he be a Spur?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Fabs opts out, will he be a Spur?
« on: June 26, 2007, 11:13:52 AM »
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062507.oberto.EN.14230e05.html
“Fabricio had the right to pick up the third year of his contract,” said Herb Rudoy, Oberto’s agent. “What he really did was decide not to opt in, but it is absolutely with the hope and intention of staying in San Antonio and winning more championships.”

Rudoy said Oberto wants to remain a Spur beyond next season. He is confident Spurs’ heach coach and executive-vice president of basketball operations Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford fell just as strongly about keeping Oberto in San Antonio.

“He has no intention of going anywhere else,” said the Chicago-based agent, who also represents Oberto’s Argentine teammate, Manu Ginobili. “That’s why he did it. The whole purpose of this is to get a new contract. They recognize his contribution. R.C. and Pop are smart guys and they know he fits like a glove with the whole system and the way he plays.

“The plan is for me to negotiate a deal at the appropriate time with R.C. and have him stay there.”

Buford said the club “will do everything we can” to make certain Oberto remains a Spur.

“I think everybody here appreciates what Fab brings,” Buford said. “We understand his importance to our team, to our organization and in our locker room.”

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Fabs opts out, will he be a Spur?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 11:26:01 AM »
What a major news story, I guess the rest of the league is going to have to settle on trying to land KG.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 11:28:50 AM »
What a major news story, I guess the rest of the league is going to have to settle on trying to land KG.

But now the Spurs have the inside track...a resigned Fabs packaged with Brent "November" Barry and McHale/Taylor would fly to SA to sign the papers.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 11:41:52 AM »
Wouldn't that just mess up Reality's world if Flabs went to LA.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 11:45:56 AM »
 Title contenders Dallas and Phx could be bidding for the services of World Champion Fabs.  Cuban and his deep pockets might bid just to drive up the price for a Spurs re-sign.  But you are correct the .500 entertainment type teams are looking more for a Garnett rather then a Fab rolie.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 11:46:42 AM »

Wilt, Kareem, Shaq and now Flabs?  No way the Lakers are that lucky.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 11:49:15 AM »
Title contenders Dallas and Phx could be bidding for the services of World Champion Fabs.  Cuban and his deep pockets might bid just to drive up the price for a Spurs re-sign.  But you are correct the .500 entertainment type teams are looking more for a Garnett rather then a Fab rolie.

Anybody interested in Flabs should be looking at Kwame as well since he had a better year AND playoff numbers.  I need to give Kupcake a call so he doesn't give him up for a bag of magic beans.  Wonder what other bench scrubs are avialble to play starter minutes and get bench production, Dallas and Phx should have plenty to choose from.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 11:52:03 AM »
Anybody interested in Flabs should be looking at Kwame as well since he had a better year AND playoff numbers.  I need to give Kupcake a call so he doesn't give him up for a bag of magic beans.  Wonder what other bench scrubs are avialble to play starter minutes and get bench production, Dallas and Phx should have plenty to choose from. 
Nope.  They are looking for that Championship experience and hoping that harmonious Spurs locker room atmosphere will rub off.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 12:30:53 PM »
I wonder how much interest other teams might have in Fabs.  How high will the Spurs be willing to go to keep him.

Could Minnesota steal him away to pair with Garnett?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 12:43:39 PM »
I wonder how much interest other teams might have in Fabs.  How high will the Spurs be willing to go to keep him.

Could Minnesota steal him away to pair with Garnett?
Good questions.  The Spurs payroll is such that the entire team sans The Big Three come off the books after the 2008 playoffs.  (Okay since the anal retent geeks will chime in, technically Jackie Butler would still be on the books for a paltry 2.5 mil.)  Thus 20+ mil under the cap.  Speculation is the Spurs may go hard after some superstar in the summer of '08.  Lebron becomes available altho i can't see him joining the Spurs.  Kobe may well choose to play alongside Manu at that time altho he would still have a year left on his Laker contract.  Or just have tons of midlevel salary to entice great role players like replacements for Bowen, SuperBob Horry and FinleyBarry.  Anyway, it makes it seem unlikely the Spurs front office would make an exception for Fabs.  I'm hoping Frankie Elson adds smarts to his athleticism so boom there is a good big next to Duncan who is under contract!

As to stealing Fabs to play alongside Garnett, i think MN has as good a shot as the Lakers.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 01:30:08 PM »

Will Sternfish call in the hounds to juice it up of purple and gold grapes for winnin time? (ya I have no idea what that even is meant to say but it sounds like Reality)

Fabs is going to stay in SA.  It would be dumb for them to let him go away after he fits his role very well.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 01:37:27 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 01:32:51 PM »

Will Sternfish call in the hounds to juice it up of purple and gold grapes for winnin time? (ya I have no idea what that even is meant to say but it sounds like Reality)

:D :D :D
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues