Author Topic: Top 4 teams faltering down the stretch . . .  (Read 5990 times)

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Top 4 teams faltering down the stretch . . .
« on: March 24, 2004, 02:08:13 PM »
The "Big Four" in the West are faltering down the stretch moving into the playoffs.

Minnesota is 5 and 5 in their last ten games with losses to SA, Portland 2x, Boston and Houston.  At times both their offense and their defense has looked confused.  They did manage to beat SA and LA as part of that 5-5 record but since the return of Wally, haven't seemed to "gel" on the court together as a team -- either offensively or defensively.

SA is 6 and 4 in their last ten games with losses to Minn, GS, SacTown and Memphis.  This team has proven that if TD isn't healthy and at the top of his game, they simply can't win.  Nest has proved that he is a pale imitation for DRob -- and don't look at stats for substantiation otherwise because the facts show on the floor.  Nesterovic gets a lot of easy rebounds and/or shots because of the fact that teams are leaving him to double on TD -- Nest will never get the respect on the floor that DRob did -- teams never left DRob to double -- they often tried to double both TD and DRob.  SA had better hope that this recurring injury to TD doesn't show up at all during the playoffs.  Without TD, the Spurs aren't going far -- with him?  They have a legit shot at the title with the tough D but their offense is WAY too predictable with TD (and IMO that's why they won't win another title).

SacTown is 6 and 4 in their last 10 games with losses to Milwaukee, Washington, NJ and Portland.  They did manage to beat Dallas soundly and managed to pull out a win against Indy (by 2 without Ron Artest).  If SacTown stayed with it's motion offense, I think they would be the team to beat -- but I only see that happening if CWebb gets hurt again.  Miller is a better defensive player than CWebb and BMill is willing to take a team role in the offense -- something CWebb has never been willing to do -- oh sure, he will pass the ball, but it's got to be HIM either passing or shooting the ball.  Makes the offense a lot more predictable, doesn't it?  IF SacTown could find a way to bring CWebb off the bench and alternate between the motion offense and the CWebb offense (we all know that CWebb isn't going to move without the ball), this team could be very tough to beat.  This, IMO, is why I never put Adelmann down as a great coach -- either he is too stubborn to admit he made a mistake or he simply can't change midstream -- either of those have caused his team loss in the past and will again in the future.

LA is 8 and 2 in their last 10 games with losses to Minnesota and Utah,  However, they really haven't played quality teams in these games (the majority of their tough games were in the early part of the season) and they still haven't managed to beat any team by more than 10 points.  LA has had some GREAT ball during this time but it is usually shortlived and then they allow their opponent back into the game (something that I was hoping GP and Malone would help with).  I don't worry about the Lakers offense but in order for this team to make a serious run for the title, their defense needs to improve drastically.  They were playing better ball at the beginning of the season and they need to get back and then to improve their defense.

Dallas?  No way.  This team just doesn't have any answer in the paint.  I'm still not sure why the Mavs didn't make a play for Theo Ratliff -- the Mavs could have offered some solid talent for a big man who likes to guard the paint (and has zero offensive abilities).  IF this team ever got serious, it could throw some a legit trade at Detroit -- Jamison, Najera, Josh Howard and/Walker (although I doubt that anyone really wants Walker -- even Bradley although I don't think Detroit would want him either).  If Dallas could land a big man in the post -- like Wallace, who could crash the boards and guard the paint, this team would be a favorite to win it all.  I think Nellie and Cuban would have to admit they made mistakes in assembling this team and they aren't as brilliant as they both think they are -- and for that reason alone, they would rather be bounced out of the first round than try to pull of a trade that would win them the title.

IMO, this leaves the door WIDE open for ONE team in the EC -- Indy, to challenge the West for the title.  Should Indy be as good as the top four?  No, not in my opinion -- but at this point, with the top four faltering, they are.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 02:13:31 PM »
Indy as good as the 4 in the West?  ABSO FU**** LUTELY!
Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 02:19:53 PM »
IMO this could have gone in the playoff thread I[/b] started.

I'm not impressed by the Lakers.  Indy belongs in the TOP catagory as well, they actually have a BETTER shot at the title than ANY of the WC contedors because they only have to play ONE of them.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 03:21:12 PM »
IMO this could have gone in the playoff thread I[/b] started.

I'm not impressed by the Lakers.  Indy belongs in the TOP catagory as well, they actually have a BETTER shot at the title than ANY of the WC contedors because they only have to play ONE of them.
But that would mean that I had to actually READ your post   :lol: .

Sorry to upset your delicate feelings, WOW.  You demos sure are touchy.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 03:21:32 PM »
teams never left DRob to double -- they often tried to double both TD and DRob.
This comment by you alone proves to anyone who ACTUALLY watches the Spurs that you don't know what you are talking about.

But continue to play down the Spurs...in fact SA hopes that other playoff teams take them as lightly as the Laker fans here.  Downplay Rasho all you want but the only center to consistently outplay him wears purple & gold.  Even Yao has not outplayed Rasho in head to head games.

One other thing...in your "summary" you fail to mention that in the last 10 games for the Spurs Duncan only played in 3.  That little fact makes it difficult to take your conclusion seriously.  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 03:26:35 PM »
One other thing...in your "summary" you fail to mention that in the last 10 games for the Spurs Duncan only played in 3. That little fact makes it difficult to take your conclusion seriously.

So let me get this right, you don't think it's fair for us to consider any games that TD didn't play in but you think it's fair for you to compare all the games that the Lakers were injured in?  There goes that homer Spurs double-standard thing again.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 03:32:18 PM »
The last ten games wanker.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 03:35:10 PM »
The last ten games wanker.
How about all but first 21 tosser.  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 03:37:11 PM »
Start that on a new thread.
Or better yet look at an old thread.
Just remember any quotes of Randys he didn't make and doesnt stand behind.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 03:45:17 PM »
How long have the Lakers been playing together are full strength?  Don't you think it's affecting them NOW the same way it's affecting the Kings?

Do I need to connect the dots for everyone?  If I do I need to upgrade my PC.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 03:45:46 PM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 03:53:37 PM »
One other thing...in your "summary" you fail to mention that in the last 10 games for the Spurs Duncan only played in 3. That little fact makes it difficult to take your conclusion seriously.

So let me get this right, you don't think it's fair for us to consider any games that TD didn't play in but you think it's fair for you to compare all the games that the Lakers were injured in?  There goes that homer Spurs double-standard thing again.
No double standard...just adding a fact that you seem to gloss over.  If it makes you feel any better than look at the last 10 games and adjust the Laker record for any that didn't have at least 2 HOFs.

When discussing the Spurs recoord for the last 10 games it is very relevant to mention that one of the top 2 or 3 players in the NBA was missing.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 04:20:45 PM »
Umm, I don't stand behind quotes that you chop up and change into your version of Reality.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 04:22:02 PM »

No double standard...just adding a fact that you seem to gloss over.  If it makes you feel any better than look at the last 10 games and adjust the Laker record for any that didn't have at least 2 HOFs.

When discussing the Spurs recoord for the last 10 games it is very relevant to mention that one of the top 2 or 3 players in the NBA was missing.

Funny, TD wasn't missing last night, was he?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 04:27:21 PM »

So now we are talking about just one game?

How about last Thursday when Duncan first came back....why not focus on that one game.

If you keep changing the parameters of the discussion then anything said can be proved wrong.

But back to your original comments...you used 10 games.  You failed to mention that Duncan was out 7 of those 10 games.  Then you tried to compare the last 10 games of the Spurs to the beginning of the year for the Lakers and call it apples/oranges.  Then you tried to change it to just last night's game.  

When you decide what you want to discuss please post the parameters.  Then I will decide if I want to discuss that subject with you.  But I am not going to discuss a topic that changes everytime your brain farts.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 04:42:36 PM »

So now we are talking about just one game?

How about last Thursday when Duncan first came back....why not focus on that one game.

If you keep changing the parameters of the discussion then anything said can be proved wrong.

But back to your original comments...you used 10 games.  You failed to mention that Duncan was out 7 of those 10 games.  Then you tried to compare the last 10 games of the Spurs to the beginning of the year for the Lakers and call it apples/oranges.  Then you tried to change it to just last night's game.  

When you decide what you want to discuss please post the parameters.  Then I will decide if I want to discuss that subject with you.  But I am not going to discuss a topic that changes everytime your brain farts.
Please forgive me, in the future when I post the record of the last 10 games, I will give a full injury report of each team that has played -- and give special consideration to the Spurs (sorry for not doing that earlier).  Of course, in the future, I hope you will do the same -- don't post about the Lakers losing record without first giving an injury report in doing so.

The Lakers have had a TON of injuries while the Spurs have had life pretty good in the injury department but I'm not here whining about injuries -- I'll leave that to you.  The Lakers have a better record than the Spurs in SPITE of all their injuries.  Go ahead and do a spin on that.