Author Topic: Larry Brown wants to coach Sac Kings  (Read 868 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Larry Brown wants to coach Sac Kings
« on: June 16, 2007, 09:48:41 AM »
Wow.  Since Kings are in obvious rebuild mode i say go for it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2906277
"I want to get back," Brown told the Sacramento Bee from his home in Philadelphia. "I miss it terribly. I haven't lost the passion to teach and coach. I don't want to end my career at 23-59. I feel I can do better. I look at Sacramento ... I respect the heck out of Geoff [Petrie]. I coached half that team. I don't mind going somewhere that's rebuilding, but wherever I go, I want everybody to feel that I'm the right person."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Larry Brown wants to coach Sac Kings
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 11:12:31 AM »
Latest on this new SacTown Soap Opera -

Fans in town are already debating how long Brown would stay, coaching the Kings. Results of a poll in the Bee started over the weekend on that topic will be released later this week.

Problem is, each side is waiting by the phone for the other to call. Brown thinks he should be contacted by the Kings about the job; Kings (for some reason) think their coaching job is in such demand that they can wait by the phone for the likes of Larry Brown to come begging for an interview from them.

Scott Brooks anyone?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:21:31 AM »
How do the Kings expect Larry Brown to call them?  Larry put it out there he wants to coach but that doesn't mean the Kings would consider him.  If they are considering him then they need to call him.  That is how they show interest in the guy lol

I mean I somewhat understand why Sac-Town fans are worried about how long he would stay.  The Knicks fiasco really makes it hard to not take it into consideration.  However, the Kings franchise is not quite as in bad of shape as the Knicks were when Larry Brown got there.  Plus Geoff is 100903809238x the GM that Isiah would ever be.  I don't see this situation turning out the same.

If you are trying to rebuild a team to get them to go back into playoff mode then you call Larry Brown.  He has helped MANY teams and only was unable to do it with the Knicks (which we all know was not fully his fault)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
There is a sense of panic from the public outcry in SacTown regarding the lack of movement in hiring a new coach. I get this sense from the letters being written by the fans around here that they expect Petrie to hire a "magic-man" coach that will guarantee victories galore next season. With this roster, that would only happen with Divine Intervention.

So why would any coach with the resume of a Larry Brown want to step into this mess?

Long-term contracts for mediocre talent, no salary-cap room, the potential for middling middle first round draft picks for the foreseeable future, and worse, an ownership group that is starting to appear to be undermining the efforts of their GM, Geoff Petrie.

From an auspicious start, the Maloof's have suddenly led the team into the lower ranks in talent and potential. Then there is the new arena fiasco, where the local government has had to answer some tough questions on how much (or rather, little) information they provided the voting public prior to last falls ballot initiative failure to authorize the location and building of a new downtown arena for the team. It seems they weren't, exactly honest in their assessment of costs. Big surprise. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 02:05:31 AM »
Would it have helped Larrys chances if he promised the Maloofs and city of Sac townsfolk he would have come to some of the games dressed like this?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 10:45:01 AM »
As it turns out, we simple folk here in SacTown will be deprived of the fashion statement Big City Boomba Larry Brown might bring us.

The Kings went ahead and hired Reggie Theus, the former King, to bring enlightenment to the subpar talent left on the Sacramento Squad. The Maloofs loved his "star" quality and apparently Geoff Petrie liked what he heard about Reggie from numerous contacts he always makes before hiring a new guy.

Wait a minute there!!! He never called the Warriors about Eric Musselman.

While that was a huge mistake, he took his time this time and called everyone who knew Theus. Apparently impressed, the estatic Reggie gushed his happiness a little too much like he never in a million years expected to get that call from Petrie about the job.

So another college coach makes he big step into the sublime light that is coaching on the big stage. At least he photographs better then the above guy does. Too bad that won't translate into more wins until we can dump some salary and get rid of the mediocrity around here.