Author Topic: Breaking up the Western Conference....yes? no? Koast is nuts?  (Read 1818 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Just to entertain a thought for fun since it is impossible to do and wouldn't work out in a real world setting....

Should the Western Conference be broken up?  One sports writer mentioned setting up a pool where one player from each WC squad would reside and then EC players could "draft" from there.    I know that people will argue that the east had a grip for a while and eventually the EC will take the reign back from the WC. Aside from the current crop of talent sitting in the WC, some of whom will be on their way out in the next 5 years (Duncan, Kobe, KG, Mcgrady, etc) you have a lot of the 'new era' talent sitting in the Western conference.   Outside of Bron, Wade, and Howard a lot of the young talent seems to be sitting in the WC (Howard could easily move).   You have Durant and Oden coming to the WC.  You have Rudy Gay, Aldridge, and Brandon Roy already in the WC.   You still have players who will be around for a while in Amare Stoudamire, Carlos Boozer, Josh Howard, Tony Parker, Manu, and Deron Williams.  Seems pretty lop sided right now and it looks to continue that way in the future.

What do you guys think?  Should it be broken up if there was some crazy cosmic force that made it work?    Will it balance out itself?  Or is it going to really turn into the Varsity and Junior Varsity conferences?  People joke about that right now but it looks to be true more and more as time passes.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 06:08:55 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Breaking up the Western Conference....yes? no? Koast is nuts?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 07:55:52 PM »
Bad idea considering the CURRENT NBA champion is from the East.  It will balance out soon enough, I guess the MJ era has already been forgotten.  I think Minny should go east.  A more likely scenario would be seeding teams by records and not conferences.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 10:27:40 AM »
You don't break up a party because only half the guests have drinks. You get drinks for everyone. Eventually things will even out.

That said, once free agency is available for a gifted player, he might opt to leave the rust belt Eastern cities for warmer climes, keeping things as they are.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 10:43:49 AM »
You don't break up a party because only half the guests have drinks. You get drinks for everyone. Eventually things will even out.

That said, once free agency is available for a gifted player, he might opt to leave the rust belt Eastern cities for warmer climes, keeping things as they are.

With the amount of teams can you really get drinks for everyone? They don't serve drinks in Atlanta and Boston to name a few.

Dwight Howard seems like a guy who could potentially leave the East for the West.  He was very vocal about being frustrated in regards to what  happened in the first round this year.  Seems to me like a guy who would leave if he felt he could not win in Orlando.

The current NBA champion is from the East but they have taken 2 championships since 1998 and 5 since 1994.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 10:47:02 AM by westkoast »

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 10:57:01 AM »
Leave it alone- eventually the bad records of eastern teams will case the more talented players to be drafted by them.  It's just that the east is soo bad these days...

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 11:01:52 AM »
Leave it alone- eventually the bad records of eastern teams will case the more talented players to be drafted by them.  It's just that the east is soo bad these days...

That's what Boston thought though....they could have ended up with Oden but instead miss both Oden and Durant.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 11:12:16 AM »
this whole idea is preposterous.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 11:13:46 AM »
With the amount of teams can you really get drinks for everyone? They don't serve drinks in Atlanta and Boston to name a few.

See my thread about the AAU.

It is not that better players can't be had, it is just that all they want to do, and all they are encouraged to do, it show off instead of develop their fundamentals. Which just opens the door for more foreign (and fundamentally sound) players to come into the League.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 11:32:50 AM »
this whole idea is preposterous.

Which is why I said 'it is impossible to do' just wanted to talk about the huge gap between the conferences.

This is just as preposterous as discussing how the Cavs can beat the Spurs in a 7 game series.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 12:22:29 PM »

That's what Boston thought though....they could have ended up with Oden but instead miss both Oden and Durant.

The KEY word is EVENTUALLY!!!  And aside from the top picks, which may turn out to be busts, the depth of the draft will benefit the East more than the West this time around.

No team is immune- it seems they all go through cycles where they are on the upswing and getting better or are on the downslope and getting worse.  No team stays on top forever,  the Spurs will only be dominant as long as Duncan is.  And, their inability to win back to back Championships reveals that they aren't quite so dominant!

With that said, they've been on top for quite a while which is a feat in itself.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 12:35:54 PM »
And, their inability to win back to back Championships reveals that they aren't quite so dominant!

Was the Celtics of Bird, Parish & McHale a dominant team?

If your answer is yes then explain how they are dominant since they won only 3 titles and never back to back.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 02:36:44 PM »
And, their inability to win back to back Championships reveals that they aren't quite so dominant!
Was the Celtics of Bird, Parish & McHale a dominant team?

Climb up on Uncle Realitys lap (symbolically) and let him explain.

As to the op, very unrealistic.  Seeding based on entire leagues record is the answer.  East West dominance will come and go over the years.   

If your answer is yes then explain how they are dominant since they won only 3 titles and never back to back.