Author Topic: Could anyone else here ever dunk?  (Read 8020 times)

jn

Could anyone else here ever dunk?
« on: March 23, 2004, 05:41:05 PM »
Just curious and trying to bring in something basketball, if not NBA, related.

It's been about 8 years since I last threw one down.  At my best when I was 18 I could dunk every day and on good days put down a few trick dunks.  The best ones were throwing it off the backboard from the left wing and one handing (I have big hands) and a 300 degree dunk cutting across the lane from the right wing.  

I nearly landed on my face after a reverse two hander when I was 16.  Really impressed the coach at the college my brother attended. "He apparently can jump, but man what a clutz!"  :lol:  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 06:13:45 PM »
Im too short to dunk unless im in fisher price's "hood"
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 06:13:55 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 06:16:55 PM »
My great achievement was dunking a volleyball. Never got the real thing down. It's my huge butt. Too heavy.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 06:20:47 PM »
Yes, when I was in Junior College. I was a better shot blocker, though, then dunker. All I could do was get the ball in the hoop. But on blocks, I could catch the ball in mid flight and start the fast break with an outlet pass before coming down. But it was because of my other liabilities. Such as not enjoying running back up the court that often.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 06:33:53 PM »
On a regulation hoop...nope.  But back in my high school days (daze), my friends and I played hoops at an elementary school that had 8 foot hoops.  Brings a whole new excitement to the game when you can play "above the rim".
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 06:35:01 PM »
Don't i wish.
Could dunk a vollyball.  Never could get enough gription and elevation to put down a roundball.

have had numerous dunks put on me.  Many by Afro Americans.  If you find this racial you obviously haven't played "above the rim" hoop before.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 06:39:19 PM »
Nobody could outdunk me, NOBODY!!!! I'm talkin' glazed, chocolate with sprinkles, buttermilk bars, chocolate chip, oatmeal, Oreo's, you name it, no one could outdunk me man!!!! And it mattered not whether it was milk or coffee, I could do it all!!!
Dan

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 07:21:51 PM »
I was wicked on the Lil Tykes hoop my son had, other than that, at a whopping 5'6", I was happy to touch the net.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 07:25:42 PM »
Wow Ziggy, and I thought I was short, I bet it's the wet weather up there, shrunk you huh?  :rolleyes:  
Dan

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 07:39:43 PM »
could get a volleyball and a woman's bball, but never regulation.  then i blew out my acl and......i can grab rim now but that's as close as i can get.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 10:13:34 PM »
At 5'9 and 17-21 years of age I could touch the rim on an average day, if I was pumped on a good day I could grab the rim.  I could have probably thrown down a marble or golf ball if I had thought of it at the time.

I got dunked on once on an 8 foot rim but nobody dunks on me, it's just to easy to put a body on a high flyer, so if someone tries they usually end up on the deck telling me stories about how their life flashed before their eyes.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 10:26:00 PM »
5'8", so only doughnuts.
Paul

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 11:19:28 AM »
My, my. Aren't there any other 6 footers posting here. jn, you MUST be over 6 foot, right?

My dunking days are over, but at 6'4" I had my day. And WOW, it was a guy about your size that led to my first serious injury playing basketball. I went up for a block and he undercut me, causing me to come down straight onto my left arm, hyperextending it. You could hear the crack. Turned my arm completely black from the shoulder to the wrist for three weeks, but it healed up fine.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 11:25:25 AM »
no kidding.  Now that you mentioned it Jomal maybe we should have a thread on the most brutal takeouts.

Where i come from if you undercut someone the aftereffect will be you will end up telling stories of how your life passed before your eyes.

Yes you can body someone.  But when you come over on weakside help to try to stop a 48" jumper who gets a step on you you arent blocking ^&%$# without a potential injury causing takeout.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 11:27:57 AM by Reality »

jn

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 11:41:22 AM »
Yeah JoMal, I'm surprised. For basketball fans this is an awfully short group.  

I'm about 6'2" with long arms.  

Okay based on what I'm seeing here I hereby proclaim myself the the Slam Dunk Champion, with all the attendent endorsments, groupies and bitching from old timers about how people like me are ruining the game.  ;)

And yes, low rims can be a blast.  In high school a buddy of mine had adjustable rims in his driveway so we'd lower them to 9 ft and had some excellent 3 on 3 games.