Author Topic: We won, we won  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: We won, we won
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 12:44:55 PM »
I liked Skander's idea of trading for Lewis, but I think I have a different take, since Portland would rather not have Randolph just down the road...send him to New Jersey for RICHARD JEFFERSON.  You can even include Jamal Magloire in a sign-and-trade.  That fixes the problem New Jersey has for not having big people, and Portland gets Jefferson, who I think is highly underappreciated.  Plus, I think Jefferson is a better defender than Lewis.

OOooo.....I like that.  Richard Jefferson, yeah that would work.  Actually they're talking that if Vince Carter chooses to stay, they're going to try to move Richard Jefferson for a scoring big man and Zach Randolph is one of the guys they're looking at.  Man...Jack, Roy, Jefferson, Aldridge, and Oden.  I'm not even a fan and I'm giddy. :D  If that deal happens, I'll have almost NO CHOICE but to start waving the Black + Red colors.  Make it happen Pritchard!!
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 01:23:08 PM »
Congrats Kevin.  That's awesome!

First, TRADE ZACH RANDOLPH!  That should be the number one priority.  He's a terrible defender who's the only real cancer left on that team.  I don't care if the only thing you get is a bag of airplane peanuts, tell him to hit the road!  And if you can get someone as solid as Jefferson, even better.

But let's say you don't get Jefferson or an impact SF.  The potential lineup could look like this:

Jack
Roy
Webster
Aldridge
Oden

That's still a GOOD starting five.  Portland will have as much young talent as any team next year.

I'm with Skander.  I'm not even a Portland fan and I can't wait to see what they do next year!
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 02:09:21 PM »
How about this idea...

Trade the #1 pick to Memphis for Gasol + the #4 pick.  You get a scorer to compliment Aldridge in the post and with the 4th pick can get a legit starting SF.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 02:59:46 PM »
Trade the #1 pick to Memphis for Gasol + the #4 pick.  You get a scorer to compliment Aldridge in the post and with the 4th pick can get a legit starting SF.

Hmmm.....I don't know.  Who is a legit starting SF at #4.  All the really good college kids are projected at PF:  Brandan Wright, Yi Jianlian, Joakim Noah, Al Horford, etc.  Durant will already be gone at #4 so you can't have him. 

Jack
Roy
Draft ?
Gasol
Aldridge

...and as cancerous as Randolph is, try sitting him on the bench and see what he pulls.

Actually I think trading the #1 (Greg Oden) at this point for anyone and I do mean anyone (Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, etc.) wouldn't be in the best interest of Portland.

Take Oden and that young nucleus of Aldridge, Oden, and Roy has the chance to be something special for a really long time.  If you trade Randolph for a quality SF, or even PG, this team is really going to look good.  They have to find some way of getting rid of the contracts of Miles, Magloire, and Randolph.   

Edit:  Correction guys, Magloire has come off the books already.  So did Derek Anderson.  The really bad contracts are Miles (27 mil through 09/10), Randolph (61 mil through 10/11), LaFrentz (24 mil through 08/09), and Pryzbilla (26 mil through 10/11).

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 03:12:33 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 03:07:48 PM »

Hmmm.....I don't know.  Who is a legit starting SF at #4.  All the really good college kids are projected at PF:  Brandan Wright, Yi Jianlian, Joakim Noah, Al Horford, etc.  Durant will already be gone at #4 so you can't have him. 

Jack
Roy
Draft ?
Gasol
Aldridge

...and as cancerous as Randolph is, try sitting him on the bench and see what he pulls.

Actually I think trading the #1 (Greg Oden) at this point for anyone and I do mean anyone (Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, etc.) wouldn't be in the best interest of Portland.

Take Oden and that young nucleus of Aldridge, Oden, and Roy has the chance to be something special for a really long time.  If you trade Randolph for a quality SF, or even PG, this team is really going to look good.  They have to find some way of getting rid of the contracts of Miles, Magloire, and Randolph.   

You don't think that Noah could play the 3?  I think in the western conference he is too light in the wallet to play at the PF anyways.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007, 03:36:03 PM »
No way that I trade Oden for Gasol and the #4.

I *WOULD* consider talking RANDOLPH for GASOL - no picks involved.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2007, 04:15:08 PM »
No way that I trade Oden for Gasol and the #4.

I *WOULD* consider talking RANDOLPH for GASOL - no picks involved.

And if I am Memphis I would tell to go 40 miles west from home & jump.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007, 04:16:46 PM »

Hmmm.....I don't know.  Who is a legit starting SF at #4. 

A couple possibilities...

Julian Wright, F, Kansas
Corey Brewer, G/F, Florida
-Moody Blues

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007, 06:31:56 PM »
No WAY Memphis trades Gasol for Randolph ... pick(s) or no pick(s).

And Noah's NOT a three.  He's simply not athletic enough, and when you factor in he's 6'11'' with good post defense, he's a four/five all the way.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 08:59:44 AM »
Blazers are now trying to get a second pick in the lottery to draft Mike Conley Jr. (Oden's PG in OSU) to replace Jarrett Jack.  Bold move!
===============================================================================
  Portland's 'point' of view

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
May 24, 2007

Twenty-four hours had yet to pass on the draft lottery transformation of the Portland Trail Blazers, and general manager Kevin Pritchard and his staff already had brainstormed a most intriguing idea: If they're going to draft Greg Oden, they should take a hard look at making a trade to get Mike Conley Jr. to come with him.

So the discussion is under way, a source close to the team and Oden said Wednesday night, about trading into the top of the lottery for a second draft pick to secure the franchise center's personal point guard. It would be a brilliant, bold stroke for the Blazers G.M., and here's the thing: Pritchard has the parts and the imagination to make it happen.

He's on a professional roll, what with drafting LaMarcus Aldridge and trading for rookie of the year Brandon Roy. And now, against all odds, he won the No. 1 pick in the June 28 draft.

Does Pritchard have enough with Zach Randolph, a 20-and-10 low post scorer and rebounder, and Jarrett Jack, a competent point guard, as the backbone of a major trade? As it looks now, the Blazers are determined to find out.

Oden and Conley have been together through AAU and high school ball in Indiana and a Final Four season at Ohio State. Before they even won the lottery Tuesday, the Blazers had done enough research on Oden to understand that to get the most out of this mild-mannered Midwestern prodigy he needs to be comfortable. He never has played without his best friend, Conley, who happens to be the best point guard in the draft.

Already Conley and Oden, who flew to Oregon on Wednesday for a meeting at Nike, privately are discussing the possibility of Portland crafting a deal to keep them together. While Oden understands it's still something of a reach, the fact that the Blazers immediately thought of trying to get Conley thrilled Oden.

After talking with confidants about Portland winning the No. 1 pick, Oden expressed relief that he was going to a smaller market. He never has been enamored with the bright lights and big city. He was born in Buffalo, raised in Indianapolis and had little appetite for the suffocating pressures of, say, Boston.

As for the Celtics, who sit miserably at No. 5, they logically should be one of the Blazers' most promising trade partners. Without Oden or Kevin Durant, G.M. Danny Ainge is wisest to look hard at packaging his pick and a young player or two for veterans. Yet there is the pending problem of Ainge agreeing to do a major trade with the Blazers after that draft-day disaster a year ago that left them without Roy or Randy Foye – and with Sebastian Telfair. Another issue muddling this possibility is that Randolph is too similar to the Celtics' Al Jefferson.

Even so, if Ainge is going to get duped again, you'd figure he isn't going to let it be Pritchard.

Truth be told, the Blazers might have to get the third overall pick out of Atlanta's hands to guarantee that they can get Conley. The Hawks could get their point guard at No. 9 with Acie Law and use the third pick to bring back a powerful inside presence in Randolph. Of course, Atlanta may not have the salaries to give back for the maxed-out Randolph, and that's where a third team could be useful.

Together, Oden and Conley are represented by Mike Conley Sr., who has aligned himself with Bill Duffy's BDA Management. Duffy is a powerbroker agent who can facilitate the kind of major trade needed to happen here, one which likely will need the involvement of a third team.

Whatever happens, Pritchard's imagination started churning the moment that pingpong ball bounced the Blazers' way Tuesday night. He's going to go through the motions of evaluating Oden and Durant, but it's inevitable he'll choose the center over the forward. As it looks now, his real work between now and draft day could come with getting Oden's personal point guard to the Blazers, too. It would be some story, some future.

Offline spursfan-101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2007, 06:37:45 PM »
Im happy for you Zig. Your organization has been idiot by not having character guys on your team. See, now that you cleaned your house a little bit...good things come your way! ;D

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2007, 11:52:55 PM »
Im happy for you Zig. Your organization has been idiot by not having character guys on your team. See, now that you cleaned your house a little bit...good things come your way! ;D

It's all karma man.  Do bad things and bad things happen, do good things and good things happen.
We got Earl for a GM, Darmell the Crabman for head coach, and Randy as our injured SF.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 04:39:43 PM »
While I like the idea of dumping Randolph, let's keep in mind that Aldridge ended the year with that heart issue.  Folks need to keep that in mind.

Still, I'd dump Randolph the moment I could.  Richard Jefferson would be a nice return, and that's a place where you could make that deal.  Heck, even a Shane Battier would be a nice pick-up.

If there were a way to get a Gasol or a Brand or a Jermaine O'Neal for Randolph, you've got to do it.

But to dump Jarret Jack and Randolph for a rookie point guard?  Unless that point guard is a can't miss guy - Chris Paul or Deron Williams or Dwyane Wade (remember - I liked this guy at point) - you don't dump a 20/10 big man for him...and you DEFINITELY don't add players to the mix.  And Conley isn't "can't miss."  I especially wouldn't call him "can't miss" after considering he's played his entire career with a dominant center...in fact, the *SAME* dominant center!

Jarret Jack is a fantastic defender, a good free throw shooter, tough as nails, and an under-rated foul-drawer.  His passing needs some work, granted, but I love his effort and his enthusiasm.  Give him a year with Oden before giving up on him - especially after the year he just had!
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 12:12:43 AM »
While I like the idea of dumping Randolph, let's keep in mind that Aldridge ended the year with that heart issue.  Folks need to keep that in mind.

Still, I'd dump Randolph the moment I could.  Richard Jefferson would be a nice return, and that's a place where you could make that deal.  Heck, even a Shane Battier would be a nice pick-up.

If there were a way to get a Gasol or a Brand or a Jermaine O'Neal for Randolph, you've got to do it.

But to dump Jarret Jack and Randolph for a rookie point guard?  Unless that point guard is a can't miss guy - Chris Paul or Deron Williams or Dwyane Wade (remember - I liked this guy at point) - you don't dump a 20/10 big man for him...and you DEFINITELY don't add players to the mix.  And Conley isn't "can't miss."  I especially wouldn't call him "can't miss" after considering he's played his entire career with a dominant center...in fact, the *SAME* dominant center!

Jarret Jack is a fantastic defender, a good free throw shooter, tough as nails, and an under-rated foul-drawer.  His passing needs some work, granted, but I love his effort and his enthusiasm.  Give him a year with Oden before giving up on him - especially after the year he just had!

The talk of Zach and Jack for the #3 pick is all coming from Conley Jrs camp.  He and Oden have Conley Sr as an agent, and they have been angling to make Oden Conley Jr a package deal from day 1.  They are the ones pushing this entire deal, it isn't coming from Portland.  It is DOA n PDX.

One trade I have heard is Zach to Chicago for Hinrich + to make salaries work.  that then allows them to do a Jack and a Magloire sign and trade for the SF they are trying to get.  Lots of talk out there, but I say it is 50-50 at best Zach gets traded.  If LA is healthy from teh heart deal, then a Zach for Jefferson deal sounds great to me.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 06:09:37 AM »

The talk of Zach and Jack for the #3 pick is all coming from Conley Jrs camp.  He and Oden have Conley Sr as an agent, and they have been angling to make Oden Conley Jr a package deal from day 1.  They are the ones pushing this entire deal, it isn't coming from Portland.  It is DOA n PDX.

One trade I have heard is Zach to Chicago for Hinrich + to make salaries work.  that then allows them to do a Jack and a Magloire sign and trade for the SF they are trying to get.  Lots of talk out there, but I say it is 50-50 at best Zach gets traded.  If LA is healthy from teh heart deal, then a Zach for Jefferson deal sounds great to me.

Good analysis Joe...I agree Randolph even straight up for Conley is too much IMO.  If Atl is willing to add in one of their young forwards then it may be worth investigating.

ziggy, if a deal is to be done with the Bulls go for one of their SF.  Deng or Nocioni would be a great fit for the Blazers.  I can't see Chicago giving up Heinrich for the low post scorer they need.  It then leaves them without a true PG (Gordon isn't a full time PG) and what good does a low post player do you if you can't get him the ball?
-Moody Blues