Author Topic: Stoudemire calls Bowen a dirty player  (Read 4184 times)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Stoudemire calls Bowen a dirty player
« on: May 10, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »
When I first read the article I just assumed Stoudemire was taking notes from D'Antoni and being a whiner ... but the video is rather compelling.  I'm dying to hear everyone’s take on this ... especially our resident conspiracy-theorist...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sc4yz__akIU

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stoudemire calls Bowen a dirty player
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 07:53:29 PM »
thank you msc.  Always ready to bang out some Reality truth.
Looks to me like he entirely did it on purpose.  Now whether he intended to "hurt" or just goof up Stoudamires shot might be debateable, but either way it's a bogus cheapshot.

I also thought Bowens foot shuffle under Steve Francis was a total cheapshot, 100% intentional.

And in the interests of keeping the air clean I've got to tell you i am very disappointed in both you and WOW for not giving as much as a peep on scalpers playoff games prices at Staples.  The Sunday game at Staples sounded tight.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 10:23:47 AM »
^^My apologies, but I have a good excuse as I was in Italy for two weeks. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 12:23:56 PM »
and you're going to tell us you were not on the internet the entire two weeks?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 01:34:37 PM »

I would like to know where you went and how was the food?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 01:47:26 PM »
and what the girls looked like.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 02:38:31 PM »

I would like to know where you went and how was the food?

The food and wine were even better than I could have imagined!   Everyone told me I'd love it (those are two of my fav things on the planet), but I couldn't have imagined it would be that spectacular. 

I went to Positano, Florence and Lake Como/Bellagio.  It was my first trip to Italy and Europe in general.  Since we flew direct to Heathrow I wanted to stay a few days in London as well, which was cool, very expensive, but still enjoyed it. 

I loved Italy, the people were great the country is beautiful and obviously the wine and food.  Reality, I must say I wasn't super impressed by the women.  I know there are some beauties there, but I really only saw a few.  I will say this, when I come back someday I hope to come back as a 20-something Italian male living in Florence.  There are a ton of female US students that study abroad there and it is literally like shooting fish in a barrell for them.  Oh well, I was with my lovely girlfriend of 3 years, so I had my own beauty and was more than happy w/her  ;)  Oh and I did check the internet for scores via my blackberry, but wasn't checking in on forums. 

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 03:24:31 PM »
The food and wine were even better than I could have imagined!   Everyone told me I'd love it (those are two of my fav things on the planet), but I couldn't have imagined it would be that spectacular. 

I went to Positano, Florence and Lake Como/Bellagio.  It was my first trip to Italy and Europe in general.  Since we flew direct to Heathrow I wanted to stay a few days in London as well, which was cool, very expensive, but still enjoyed it. 

I loved Italy, the people were great the country is beautiful and obviously the wine and food.  Reality, I must say I wasn't super impressed by the women.  I know there are some beauties there, but I really only saw a few.  I will say this, when I come back someday I hope to come back as a 20-something Italian male living in Florence.  There are a ton of female US students that study abroad there and it is literally like shooting fish in a barrell for them.  Oh well, I was with my lovely girlfriend of 3 years, so I had my own beauty and was more than happy w/her  ;)  Oh and I did check the internet for scores via my blackberry, but wasn't checking in on forums. 

Weeelll....if you had mentioned you were going to those three places and that you like Italian food and the wine, I could have hooked you up with three of the absolutely best restaurants in the country. I guess people on this board aren't interested in the fact that I have travelled to Europe every year, sometimes more then once within a 12 month period, and have found some pretty interesting things to do while there, and places to visit.

In Como, on Lake Como, there is a restaurant called La Spana, or The Spanish. Why they call it that is not important, but this place has THE best pizza and seafood pasta in the world. Bellagio is lovely village as well. They filmed a movie there about five years back. I think it was a made for TV movie remake of Pinnochio. You will easily recognize Bellagio from the scenes.

In Florence, if you did not eat at ll Latini, or no one told you about ll Latini, or the guide books you used had it listed but you didn't notice, or you in any other way did not go there, you really blew it. Period.

This restaurant is the type of place that you will talk about for years after going there. It is huge, noisy, crowded, and the wait to be seated takes around an hour......and it was the best experience we had both times we ate there.

On our last Italian trip, we made a detour for a day to visit Florence...not for the art or the museums, all of which we had seen previously, but to eat at ll Latini....and the night we chose was Monday....and it was closed on Mondays.

I sat on the curb outside and was unconsolable for 30 minutes.

Positano is one of our favorite places to visit in the south. Since the food is generally so good in the South, it really does not matter about any recommendations for that places, as we enjoyed just about all of our meals we had while there on our last trip. No, I am telling you that you probably went through Sorrento on the way there. maybe even stayed a night or two, because the bus to Positano goes from there, unless you rented a car. Anyway, stay in Sorrento the next time for a few nights. For a relatively small town, the food there is outstanding and it is in a lovely location. We always make Sorrento our headquarters for visits back to Pompei and Herculenium. Great spot, as is Positano.

I can also recommend other places to stay and visit that are worthy on any trip to Italy. Wonderful country. 

As for the women, I saw quite a few beauties. What struck me about them is that they check you out. I think what they are really doing is checking out if you are checking THEM out. They all walk and dress like they are attending Pret'-a'-Porter.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 03:36:02 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 07:19:14 PM »
msc and Laker posters.  Is that Nash giving Kobe a cheapshot right where it counts?
Just before the 4 minute mark, closeup replay.  4 minute YouTube mark, not game clock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcSfnKK3kY8

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 08:50:17 PM »
I hate to interupt the discussion of Italian beauty and food but here is some investigate info:
It is at present heresay from Joe Spursfan, photo to follow...

I just got off the phone with a college friend of mine who works for a station in Phoenix. (He loves Nash, but he says D'Antoni is a crybaby and he really hates him.) He says that there is another camera angle of the incident that tells the story a little differently. (Actually, he said that it makes Stoudamire look like a whiny, lying bitch.) He also said that D'Antoni and the Suns are trying hard to back off of this thing and let it go away quietly now.

My friend said that someone on the Suns' staff was looking at a replay and saw what he thought was a kick. He told D'Antoni and Stoudamire, and they got their panties in a wad before getting all the facts. Suddenly Amare "remembered" getting kicked in the Achilles, and got in front of a reporter with the story. When D'Antoni was first asked about it, he was pretty vocal. But not long afterward, he heard that there might be a problem with their information, and suddenly he said that he didn't think it was a big deal - the league would probably review the film and whatever they decide will be fine.

From the other camera angle, what happened is this: Stoudamire was on the way up, and the very end of the heel of his (Stoudamire's) shoe hit the sole of Bowen's shoe, near the toe. He said that Amare's toes were pointed straight down because he had just lifted off, so his heel was coming straight up. Bowen's foot was coming down (not forward, as in a kick) at that point, and it was the edge of Amare's shoe-heel that hit the bottom of Bowen's shoe. Nothing ever touched Stoudamire's Achilles tendon, and the contact was nothing more than a light brush anyway. (I am doing my best to write this down quickly, while it is fresh in my mind.)

Someone asked Amare why, if it was such an obvious kick, he didn't react during the game. Stoudamire said that he didn't want to risk getting a technical, or getting ejected from the game. But earlier he had said that he wasn't upset about anything until after he looked at the replay. But the first thing my friend asked was, "If he wasn't upset, why would there have been any thought of getting a tech?" Nobody has ever accused Amare Stoudamire of being smart, and he apparently failed to notice that his stories don't add up.

The one other thing he told me was that it is very clear what happened from looking at the game film. Stoudamire came down awkwardly, on his left foot, after making the dunk. He said that Amare later claimed that the reason he came down awkwardly is because of the kick. (Another variation of the story.) But he said that if you look at the video from the other angle, I am told, it is clear that it was a light brush, and that Stoudamire's foot wasn't deflected at all. There is no way that it could have caused him to come down awkwardly. His body was too far under the basked by the time he got the ball to the rim, and making the dunk threw him off balance.

The word is that Stoudamire has been instructed not to say another word to the press about the incident. They are going to claim that the league will handle it as they see fit. But the truth is they want it to go away now. And that also fits. You know Mike D'Antoni would never quit whining about something like this, if there were really anything to it. Hell, he's still whining about things that happened years ago. I knew that he was a sniveling *****...I just didn't know Stoudamire was.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 01:15:57 AM »
Regardless, it just looked like a really akward and DIRTY play on Bowen's part.  Bowen didn't get the results he wanted but he did seem to go after Amare.  It was just too weird a move/motion towards Amare IMO.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 01:38:56 AM »
Speaking of videos....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kxlt-xLo4c&mode=related&search=

DANG!!!  I've never seen a more amazing scorer.  Never EVER!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 04:37:28 AM »
Doesn't bowen have a history of putting his foot UNDER someone else's while they're in the air?  Looks pretty clear to me.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 09:35:45 AM »
What was interesting is that Bowen was clearly beaten on the play, and had no chance to stop Amare from scoring, by doing something legitimate.

Rather than let it go, however, Bowen goes rushing in as Amare is going up.  Bowen can't block Amare's shot, and doesn't even jump.  He is behind Stoudamire, and yet makes contact with him.

Incidental or not, Bowen caused the contact.  It couldn't have possibly been clean, since there was no attempt to stop the shot.  It's also clear that there was contact since Amare came down awkwardly.  That doesn't happen unless the player was hit while in the air.  (Admittedly, it doesn't have to be much contact to unbalance someone in the air, but hitting someone's heel, is a good way to do it!)

The real problem comes when the player comes down.  I've seen a lot of players roll their ankle when they come down on the foot of a player who snuck up behind them. 

What goes around comes around.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 10:52:50 AM »
I gotta say the picture merely confirms that Bowen did hit Stoudamires achilles.

Have no idea why Joe Spursfan wrote:
From the other camera angle, what happened is this: Stoudamire was on the way up, and the very end of the heel of his (Stoudamire's) shoe hit the sole of Bowen's shoe, near the toe. He said that Amare's toes were pointed straight down because he had just lifted off, so his heel was coming straight up. Bowen's foot was coming down (not forward, as in a kick) at that point, and it was the edge of Amare's shoe-heel that hit the bottom of Bowen's shoe. Nothing ever touched Stoudamire's Achilles tendon, and the contact was nothing more than a light brush anyway.

What kind of crap is he trying to peddle.  "edge of Amares shoe-heel"..   >:(
Judge Judy should toss him.