Author Topic: ouch Spurs got Spanked!  (Read 3259 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
ouch Spurs got Spanked!
« on: May 08, 2007, 11:57:06 PM »
I still say we win in 6 games so I am not surprised that the Suns came back in this one.  Now lets see if the Spurs can bounce back on their home court and win two !
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ouch Spurs got Spanked!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 08:22:49 AM »
Entire 1st qtr Spurs Tall Ball with 2 of 3 in the whole time.  Result? Hard fought 25-19 lead and momentum, crowd taken out of game.  This after trailing 13-5!

Smallballs Pop is now rolled out for the 2nd quarter with Fabs Oberto as the dynamic stopper Center along with Ginobili, Parker, Barry and Finley.  3 layups in a row after a short Diaw hook shot and in 4 minutes it's 28-27 Phx and momentum has been completely pissed away.  Spurs can't win playing small ball when Phoenix rolls out Amare, Diaw, Matrix, Nash and Barbosa and sends Diaw down on the block.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 09:08:23 AM »
Kurt Thomas is the reason the Suns won last night.  Yeah Nash was brilliant, yeah Amare finally dunked, yeah Marion did yeoman's work on Parker, but Kurt Thomas stopping Duncan on consecutive possessions in the middle of gut-check time was the ONLY reason the Suns came away with a victory. 

Now Kurt Thomas does a couple of things, he puts that folded arm high on your back, defensive slides, and keeps his other arm high up at all times.  Sometimes he'll put both of his arms high in the air.  I believe a lot of the incidental contact that happens when Tim Duncan shoves his shooting arm forward into KT's arms is going to be called a foul once we're back in San Antonio.  Kurt Thomas in foul trouble and Tim Duncan at the free throw line equals a San Antonio victory barring a monumental offensive display by Phoenix and how often has San Antonio let Phoenix do that.  I don't think Phoenix can reasonably expect the Spurs to shoot 43% from the field again, either.  Looking at it, the bench went 5/21, that's not happening again.         
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 09:21:42 AM »
Well, the Spurs are hardly newbies.  A big loss isn't going to make them fold.  Props to the Suns for bouncing back but they are going to have play some amazing ball to try and steal one in SA.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 09:43:19 AM »
Suns should have won last night.  It was their court and they lost the first game mainly by being out worked.  Only surprise was the final margin.

I watched only the first half (damn 9:30 start times).  And from what I saw there were 3 things that mainly effected the outcome:
1.  Bad officiating (Spurs rimmed out several good looks)
2.  Blind refs (Free throws NEED to be converted)
3.  League conspiracy (Allowing Suns to set pace too often)

Otherwise it was a good game.  Suns responded to Nash's calling out and Spurs seemed happy with a split.  SA just didn't seem to have the same fire & intensity as the Suns.  Now back home for the Spurs and hopefully a 3-1 edge by Monday night.  BTW the 3 day "rest" between games should help the Spurs more than the Suns but I sure wish they were playing again sooner.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 10:10:19 AM »
The Suns found an answer for Duncan.  As long as that continues to work, the Suns have a good shot.

Thomas is big enough that Duncan can't push him out of the way. The other Suns are quick enough on defense, that Tim often doesn't have a way around Thomas to the hoop.  The Spurs will have to work on posting and reposting Tim to set him up better and the rest of the team is going to have to shoot better.

Only a punk would cry about the referees in this game.  It's clear the Suns took control by rebounding better and running the floor.  The Spurs were on their heels in the second half and mounted no challenges after that.

The Spurs are still in control, taking one on the Suns home court, but now they have to be able to defend their home court.  The mystique is gone, the Suns now know they can beat the Spurs.  This can become a very good series.

If D'Antoni is such a bad coach, then why were his adjustments so successful?  Now Pops is going to have to respond. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 10:15:14 AM »
I watched only the first half (damn 9:30 start times).  And from what I saw there were 3 things that mainly effected the outcome:

Only a punk would cry about the referees in this game.

Oh the IRONY!!!!!!!!!

Lurker, I owe you a beer!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 10:33:06 AM »

Only a punk would cry about the referees in this game.

Oh the IRONY!!!!!!!!!

Lurker, I owe you a beer!

Oh, WOW.

If you bought Lurker a beer, he would only cry in it.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 11:29:28 AM »
I especially liked the dirty play where Manu trapped Stoudamire's legs while Manu was on the ground.  Ref didn't see it and didn't call it.

Dirty Spurs....

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 11:54:42 AM »

;D  :D.........now that's funny....

I don't think Rick got it, though, Lurker. 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 12:24:33 PM »
Ref didn't see it and didn't call it.

So you expect the refs to make calls that they don't see??????
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 12:29:55 PM »
Ref didn't see it and didn't call it.

So you expect the refs to make calls that they don't see??????

Um....that hasn't stopped them yet.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 12:51:39 PM »
Few quick comments...I did watch the game but am in the middle of a support call

How did Duncan turn into a 47 year old man before the tip off?  I could not believe Kurt Flippin Thomas of all people was really playing him that well.  Props to Kurt Thomas for sure but wow I still cannot believe it.

Cannot believe I had to utter the words to a co-worker this morning..."The Phoenix DEFENSE really took over the game and put a hurting on the Spurs.  Once they got stops they really pushed the game almost out of reach for SA towards the middle of the 4th"
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 12:56:26 PM »
I don't think Rick got it, though, Lurker. 

And you're like, surprised at that?
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 02:19:24 PM »
And you're like, surprised at that?

I was actually surprised considering his posts yesterday.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"