Author Topic: Why is Yao not shouldering ANY blame for the HOU loss in the 1st round?  (Read 7422 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
No one has really been able to address this.  I asked this question in another thread just a few days ago and all I got was the sound of crickets chirping in the backround (or was that Reality's boost mobile phone trying to pick up his boo?)

When is Yao going to shoulder blame for HOU getting bounced in the first round or having a poor season?  The guy gets all the attention of being a superstar in this league but never gets the negative side of being a star.  Why is that?  You cannot be a super star and never have any blame placed on you for your team falling short over the past few years.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
I'll chip in on this.  7'5" and only 6 rebounds in a game seven? Yes he scored 25 but 6 boards in playing heavy minutes is Chuck Nevitt territory.  It's not like he's inexperienced now either.

Bill Simmons has also brought this subject up in his ESPN column. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
And he had 8 turnovers in game 7.  And something like 29 in the last 4 game.  I didn't get to see any of game 7.  But based on the "box score" system I would say that McGrady did everything he was supposed to do.  The problem was with the rest of the team.  Mainly Yao...big point production with little impact on the game. 

For the series I would say TMac & Battier were the only Rockets to play as if they wanted to advance.  The Jazz exposed Yao's turnover weakness and slowness on defense.  Also exposed was the lack of a starting PG, PF and a bench.  Their starters would make solid 10-15 minute backups but have no business playing starter minutes.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
I'll chip in on this.  7'5" and only 6 rebounds in a game seven? Yes he scored 25 but 6 boards in playing heavy minutes is Chuck Nevitt territory.  It's not like he's inexperienced now either.

Bill Simmons has also brought this subject up in his ESPN column. 

Exactly what I am saying..that was a real poor outing for a vet.  I barely consider that all-star numbers.   The guy is 7'5" having anything less then 10 a game in the playoffs is pathetic for an 'all-star'

I am glad Bill Simmons is mentioning it but I've heard alot more about Dirk and T-Mac then I did Yao.  For a guy that is suppose to be one of the best centers in the league and a bonafide superstar (I see him dunk on alot of commercials) why is he not getting nailed?  Is it because the media really can't communicate well with him?  They lob him all of the questions in press conferences and interviews.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
He's just got that cute Asian thing going on.  How can you be mad at that little Chinese face?

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Allow me to point out that IMO, he barely registers on the "superstar" radar. He is consistantly mired in mediocrity, has terrible foot work, ball handling skills, and as previously mentioned, his turnovers are just plain ridiculous, he is snail slow on defense and I can think of several centers that are more intimidating in the paint, Shaq, Zo, Stoudimire etc.

Yao is a good center, make no mistake, but a great one? A legend? A superstar? I think not, with McGrady as his sidekick and Battier helping fill up the front court and Juwan Howard (always a personal favorite of mine) getting quality minute cleaning up the glass, this team should be contender ala' the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. A scoring terror in McGrady, a "dominant" big man in Yao and a decent supporting cast? Give me a break on Yao, he ain't all that! 7'6" doesn't make you a superstar.
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
He's just got that cute Asian thing going on.  How can you be mad at that little Chinese face?

All kidding aside, could it be that it's not PC to go after Yao because he's a foreigner who can't speak much English?  It's not just cause he's a foreigner cause Dirk is catching all kinds of flak, so what is it?  He is a really nice guy, maybe that's all it is.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email

All kidding aside, could it be that it's not PC to go after Yao because he's a foreigner who can't speak much English?  It's not just cause he's a foreigner cause Dirk is catching all kinds of flak, so what is it?  He is a really nice guy, maybe that's all it is.

I think part of it is that Dirk is more fluent in English (as are most Euros) than Yao.  So they do take it easier on him. 
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
WOW I think you hit on the main issue.  Yao is a really nice guy.  To the best of my knowlege he hasn't done or said a single thing to bring out any personal animosity from fans and writers.  This is actually a GOOD thing, IMHO, to the extent that at least we aren't dealing with any off the court pissing matches ala Iverson versus old white sports writers. 

Still there is no reason not to call him out on his game and as Laker Fan mentioned, let's not throw the superstar tag on him until he earns it.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
WOW I think you hit on the main issue.  Yao is a really nice guy.  To the best of my knowlege he hasn't done or said a single thing to bring out any personal animosity from fans and writers.  This is actually a GOOD thing, IMHO, to the extent that at least we aren't dealing with any off the court pissing matches ala Iverson versus old white sports writers. 

Still there is no reason not to call him out on his game and as Laker Fan mentioned, let's not throw the superstar tag on him until he earns it.
  Yao is nice.  But when has that ever stopped media from going after people?
Yao also needs another coach.  Van Gundy apologists wake up.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Are we dissing Yao because he is 7'5", or because he is foreign born? Neither one makes him into anything more then a functional NBA center, otherwise Manute Bol would be in the Hall of Fame.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email

They don't even have to attack him in a press conference but at least say 'Hay, Yao did not pull his weight.  6 rebounds in a game 7 is not okay.  His lack of stamina is hurting his squad'

I just feel as if the NBA marketing team is forcing him down our throats and even though the results don't match up, they don't care.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Are we dissing Yao because he is 7'5", or because he is foreign born? Neither one makes him into anything more then a functional NBA center, otherwise Manute Bol would be in the Hall of Fame.

Yao is being dissed because he is 7'5" and looks like a below average  rebounder compared to 6'3 Jason Kidd.

You are right about him being a functional NBA center.....the problem is everytime you see an NBA commercial you didn't see Manute Bol slamming it down.  You also didn't see him starting in all-star games.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
You are right about him being a functional NBA center.....the problem is everytime you see an NBA commercial you didn't see Manute Bol slamming it down.  You also didn't see him starting in all-star games.

Bol never had the voting support or marketing reach that 1 billion Chinese gives you.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email

Bol never had the voting support or marketing reach that 1 billion Chinese gives you.

He didn't have that support.  He also didn't have dominating numbers either.

Explain the NBA trying to push him down everyones throats in commercials and license deals...