Author Topic: Spurs shooting least # of FTAs in playoffs  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs shooting least # of FTAs in playoffs
« on: May 01, 2007, 04:12:48 PM »
By far taking the fewest foul shots. 
Yet the Spurs are taking the 3rd most field goal attempts.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/byteam?&cat1=Total&cat2=team&conference=NBA&year=postseason_2006&sort=237
Is this payback from Joey Crawfords buddies?
I'm not saying it is or isn't, altho last night Duncan clearly got mugged several times in the 1st half with nary a call.  Eddie Rush being the biggest ignorer by far.  I also think the A.I. - Parker battle has been clear favoritism to A.I., altho i have seen many good calls on A.I. for pushing off on Parker.  Hardly 50-50 tho and spare me the "superstars get calls" bullcrap.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spurs shooting least # of FTAs in playoffs
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 06:18:34 PM »
I don't think it is pay back.  That is kind of conspiracy theory ground.  They shoot less jump shots then some of the other squads in the playoffs.  This series they have let the guys play and I don't think it is a bad thing.  If Denver was shooting the most and SA then you could hint around to that.

Personally I feel they have been letting Nene get away with quite a bit in the post.  It has been a while since I've seen a team play Tim Duncan in a series and not run through big men due to foul trouble.  .
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 07:19:43 PM »
I don't think it is pay back.  That is kind of conspiracy theory ground.  They shoot less jump shots then some of the other squads in the playoffs.   This series they have let the guys play and I don't think it is a bad thing.  If Denver was shooting the most and SA then you could hint around to that. 
Meaning the Spurs drive it to the rack more?  Why should that result in less FTAs?
Spurs are shooting the 3rd most fg attempts.

If you want to go to discrepency between teams playing each other, i have the Spurs -5.2 as only trailing the Wizards vs Cleveland, and thats with Wiz Arenas and Caron Butler out.

Personally I feel they have been letting Nene get away with quite a bit in the post.  It has been a while since I've seen a team play Tim Duncan in a series and not run through big men due to foul trouble.  . 
What do you attribute that to?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 07:22:16 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 07:33:54 PM »
I don't think it is pay back.  That is kind of conspiracy theory ground.  They shoot less jump shots then some of the other squads in the playoffs.   This series they have let the guys play and I don't think it is a bad thing.  If Denver was shooting the most and SA then you could hint around to that. 
Meaning the Spurs drive it to the rack more?  Why should that result in less FTAs?
Spurs are shooting the 3rd most fg attempts.

If you want to go to discrepency between teams playing each other, i have the Spurs -5.2 as only trailing the Wizards vs Cleveland, and thats with Wiz Arenas and Caron Butler out.

What do you attribute that to?

What I meant is that since they get in the paint and have TD on the block operating they really are not a jump shooting team.  You would expect them to have more FTA then most other teams.  Out of the teams in the playoffs the only team that scores more in the paint is PHX (yea suprising) and Utah I believe.  They had a graphic up during one of the Laker/PHX games.

I think they are letting them play in the post.  Sometimes it is annoying to see them blow alot of whistles when guys are battling in the middle so it is hard to really complain all that much about it.  There have been some plays that I felt Nene is effecting Duncan's rhythm and should have been whistled with a foul.  The end of the game play in game 2 or game 3 comes to mind.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 07:53:17 PM »
By far taking the fewest foul shots. 
Yet the Spurs are taking the 3rd most field goal attempts.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/byteam?&cat1=Total&cat2=team&conference=NBA&year=postseason_2006&sort=237
Is this payback from Joey Crawfords buddies?
I'm not saying it is or isn't, altho last night Duncan clearly got mugged several times in the 1st half with nary a call.  Eddie Rush being the biggest ignorer by far.  I also think the A.I. - Parker battle has been clear favoritism to A.I., altho i have seen many good calls on A.I. for pushing off on Parker.  Hardly 50-50 tho and spare me the "superstars get calls" bullcrap.

FYI,

Superstars get the calls pendejo!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 11:41:19 PM »
pendejo,
what happens when superstar is playing superstar?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 08:41:51 AM »

FYI,

Then explain the Duncan vs Nene matchup.  Or have you raised Nene to superstar status?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 09:00:51 AM »
pendejo,
what happens when superstar is playing superstar?

I didn't realize TD was guarding Iverson and vice versa tosser!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 09:04:07 AM »

FYI,

Then explain the Duncan vs Nene matchup.  Or have you raised Nene to superstar status?

I've seen alot of fouls not get called, especially on Camby.  Camby seems to come over the back alot, along with other Denver players and those calls are let go, who knows if the refs have a chip on their shoulder for TD bringing down one of their own.  TD is a very sound post player, IMO almost as good as McHale, but watching him score makes me miss Shaq Daddy.  The power game that Shaq used to bring is sorely missed here, he's dropped off alot.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 10:44:56 AM »
I think, once the playoffs start, the refs should just swallow their whistles. Let them play and don't call anything. Just clean up the teeth during timeouts, put a few stitches in the deeper gashes, and have a bunch of glass eyes of various sizes on hand to pop into gouged eyesockets. All this whining about calls and non-calls would not be missed.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 11:47:09 AM »
The Spurs do less driving and dishing that other teams do, so there are less occaisions for them to draw fouls.  Horry shooting treys doesn't result in a foul more often than not.  None of the Spurs look to create contact.

Iverson is the type of player that draws a lot of fouls since he drives the lane and looks for contact.  When Tony Parker drives he's looking to pass or shoot, not draw a foul shot.  Same thing with TD in the post, he tries to make a shot, and doesn't worry about drawing a foul.

This is a good thing for the Spurs, since Duncan is not a good free throw shooter!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 12:39:37 PM »
The Spurs do less driving and dishing that other teams do, so there are less occaisions for them to draw fouls. 

Rick, do you ever watch a team before commenting?  Tony Parker is constantly driving the lane and so does Ginobili.  Then there is the best low post player currently in the NBA.  And they don't play a game that leads to fouling?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 12:50:52 PM »
^^ and rick while i kind of get what you are saying about Parker and Duncan not looking to draw a foul (i don't neccessarily agree), however it doesn't change the fact that they get fouled.
GNob is certainly looking to get either or, shot or foul.
Parker is in fact in the top 10, top 5 for points in the paint?  Surely he gets fouled with that many attempts.

WOW Parker-Longoria is certainly just as big a star as Tats Iverson.  So why is Tats getting the "star" calls?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 01:04:04 PM »
You could call a foul on every play and be justified in doing so.  There is a certain subjective aspect to ref's calling the fouls when they do.

I don't know what it is, sometimes the fouls have nothing to do what is happening in the game.  I see teams behind and without a chance and the refs call every ticky-tack foul they see.  Other times I see a player get hacked at a critical juncture and no foul is called. 

But comparing Iverson with Ginobli and Parker is silly.  They don't drive as much as Iverson does, and when they do, there's no second defender preventing them from driving so they get the bucket and not a foul call.  Sometimes AI gets those calls because the second player comes in too late, or because they make greater contact than normal.

Another aspect of this is that the Spurs shoot a very high percentage, and the refs don't like to give the "and 1".  Watch and you'll see that a lot of the free throws are off of a miss.

I'd say at least half the fouls that could be called actually are and that goes for all of the teams in the league.