Author Topic: MUST win for the Spurs tonight.  (Read 4988 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
MUST win for the Spurs tonight.
« on: April 25, 2007, 02:53:19 PM »
IMO, this is critical for San Antonio to defend their home court.  They are already down one, which means all Denver needs to do is win every game at their home to win. 

Also, the momentum has to be disturbing for the Spurs, to have put together such a strong season, including the finish, to find themselves down 0-1 against the Sixth seed in the W.C.

I read a little blurb by Brian Hill former NBA coach, on the series, and he was of the opinion that the Nuggets belonged in the sixth spot.  Admitedly, this was before the first game but as everyone here knows I was of the opinion that they would have finished much higher in the standings if they started with the team the Nuggets finished the season with.  Maybe that's why Hill's not an NBA coach anymore!

In spite of my bias towards AI, IMO the Spurs take it tonight.  The reason is simple- they can't afford to be down 2 games going to Denver.  They will do anything and everything they can to win tonight and it should be a great one to watch.

I could be wrong about this.  Denver matched up better in the paint than I thought they could.  The Spurs need to control the boards and the tempo.  Watch the battle under the boards tonight and see how the refs call the game. If they let Denver keep bodies leaning up against TD, the Spurs will have a very tough time winning.  They will need someone else to help under the boards to prevent Nene and Camby from having a field day.

The thing is, I like the Spurs.  I really do. They play great team defense, execute with precision and have Manu Ginobli who really brings a special quality to their game.  It's just that I'm an AI fan, a former Mavericks season ticket holder, and love the Suns freewheeling style of play. The Spurs have their rings already.  AI never got one in Philly, and he intends to make the most of this one. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: MUST win for the Spurs tonight.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 03:18:05 PM »
If they go down two games it would put them in a real tight spot.  I wouldn't say that the series would be in hand for Denver but it would really be tough to dig yourself out of 0-2 with no home court advantage.

IMO Denver was real lucky to have SA shoot as low of a % as they did.  I highly doubt that will happen again as I didn't feel Denver's defense was the main cause for them shooting so poorly.

As for your point about leaning on Duncan...again the low shooting % comes into play.  Why would they leave Duncan if they were shooting so poorly.  It is going to be key for Manu and Parker to do what they've been doing the entire season.  Manu especially as he can space the floor better then Tony Parker can due to his range.  Whoever is the other big man on the floor, let's say Flabs, needs to slide over and get to the spot to get interior passes from Duncan when he gets doubled.  Flabs did nothing the last game but catch the ball and hand it to someone else.

One thing I am interested about is how they handle AI tonight.  I know the SA coaching staff is going to change up the way they defended him.  Maybe we will see Bowen switch onto him????
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 03:30:55 PM »
I have seen teams shut AI down, but that was when he was with Philly and there wasn't anyone else who could generate offense for the Sixers.  Denver has more shooters, and if they double AI, they can make them pay. 

Still it's picking your poison:  Let AI run and he'll kill you.  Double him and let the other players try to pick up the slack. It's worth trying for SA. See if Kleiza and the others can put up the numbers. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 03:43:19 PM »
I have seen teams shut AI down, but that was when he was with Philly and there wasn't anyone else who could generate offense for the Sixers.  Denver has more shooters, and if they double AI, they can make them pay. 

Still it's picking your poison:  Let AI run and he'll kill you.  Double him and let the other players try to pick up the slack. It's worth trying for SA. See if Kleiza and the others can put up the numbers. 

Kind of sucks when 'other players' include a guy named Carmelo Anthony.  Then you have others like  Blake or Kleiza who are both solid jumper shooters themselves.

IMO AI's will last game really pushed Denver to get the win.  When he feels he can freely operate it is pretty dangerous.  He gets that attitude that he is going to punk your defense.    That 'swagger' tends to rub off on other players and I think that showed in Game 1.  If I had to pick between letting AI go off and letting others get better looks....I am going to test Blake and Kleiza.  They are not battle tested and the guys covering them are not exactly slouches on the defensive end.  Melo can get his 25-30, AI cannot get his.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 03:45:14 PM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 05:36:05 PM »
Near must win.  Not a must win.
I believe Spurs could come back from 0-2 and win in 6 or 7.
Deadly to screw around and try this 0-2?  Pretty much so, i sure don't want to see it.

Duncan-GNob-Parker can't suck as bad as they did last game. 
1-1.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 08:23:18 AM »
Game 2 is the definition of a "must win".  No way the Spurs come back from 0-2.  I've put my money where my mouth is regarding the Spurs, I've got them winning every round and I expect to get paid big when they beat Dallas in the WCF.

I didn't get to watch the game much, kinda glanced over when I had a chance and it didn't look good early on cause the Nuggets where right there, reminded me of the the Lakers/Sixers series back in 2001.  The Spurs should be spanking the Nuggets but they refuse to give in but in the end the better team should win.  Glad to see the Spurs win it going away.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 10:01:04 AM »
Man I am pretty pissed I missed this game last night. 

Iverson goes off once again and rallys the squad on a 26 point run to put them in striking distance at the very end.  Spurs end up holding on but once again AI is playing tough.

Anyone else wanna give a better re-cap I only saw halftime highlights during the Mavs/GS game.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 10:05:25 AM »
Nuggets looked a little tight comming out of the gate.  When you're missing point-blank shots, it's nerves.  Of course playing a good team like SA puts a lot of pressure on one, but this should be what Iverson and 'Mello and the rest want.

In spite of rolling out to a big lead, the Nuggets were able to pull within 3 at the end, before falling apart.  They were down too far, and waiting too long to start their surge.

I did see some positive signs at the end.  The Nuggets- Iverson and Nene figured out how to use the Spurs defense against them.  Iverson draws attention away and then hits Nene with an easy pass while he's heading to the rim.  I expect to see a lot more of that in game three.  AI, should focus more on assists until they give him room to operate.  It doesn't matter who gets the points, but it does matter that the Nuggets put up the points.

Sir Charles noted that whoever gets out of this series is going to have a tough time in the next round, because this will take a lot out of the winner.  I tend to agree. 

Understand though, that the Nuggets have the edge.  All they need to do is win all their home games and they take the series. The Spurs have to win in Denver now if they want to progress.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 10:12:46 AM »
Game 2 is the definition of a "must win". 
Phx vs LA down 2-1 last year was said to be in a "must win" Gm 4.  Lost, down 3-1 yet won 4-3.
True def of must win is elimination game.  We can agree to disagree whether the Spurs would have come back from 0-2.

Too many good plays in that game last night.  Duncan and Manu delivered the big shots after the lead collapse and down to three points.  Bowens D was great and his offense was very timely and helpful.  Once again the Spurs have drawn a seed team that is nothing like the team pre midseason trade.
Ron ArTesty Kings and now A.I. Nuggets.  No embarrassment whatsoever if Spurs win 4-2 or 4-3.  Nuggets have a good team.

I did not see GS-Dallas but i am hearing GState got hozed by the refs big time in the 3rd.  Little punk troublemaker nutthitter JET getting away with more of his crap last night.

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
It's the psych game
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 11:31:19 AM »
Hey Ricko!

First of all, i have to tell you that you gave me an old-school grin when i saw your obligatory 'great team defense' nod to SA - that was SO classic!  LOL

Reality, while I agree with you that the only 'must' game is an elimination game, I am sure that you will concede that once teams go down to defeat unexpectedly, there is a tendency among even the greatest of them to lose heart and focus.

What is the format of the playoffs this year -  2-3-2 or 2-2-2-1?

-RB
Shaq #1
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: It's the psych game
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 11:46:21 AM »
What is the format of the playoffs this year -  2-3-2 or 2-2-2-1?

-RB
Shaq #1 
2-2-1-1-1 Rounds 1 2 3
2-3-2 Finals.  Yeah thank LordSternFish for that one. ::)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 12:43:47 PM »
Reality, it's 2-2-1-1-1 for every series except the finals?!?!

That's whacked.  The 2-2-1-1-1 format is as fair as it can get.  The 2-3-2 puts enormous pressure on the lower seeded team to defend their home court three times in a row.

I wonder how Stern justifies that!

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 01:04:21 PM »

That's whacked.  The 2-2-1-1-1 format is as fair as it can get.  The 2-3-2 puts enormous pressure on the lower seeded team to defend their home court three times in a row.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

It (2-3-2 finals) was put in place during the 70s oil embargo.  At that time the finals usually matched a west coast vs east coast team.  The format was designed to save on fuel costs by eliminating  1 or 2 transcontinental flights.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 03:28:25 PM »

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

It (2-3-2 finals) was put in place during the 70s oil embargo.  At that time the finals usually matched a west coast vs east coast team.  The format was designed to save on fuel costs by eliminating  1 or 2 transcontinental flights.
W.O.W. did you want to tell lurker about our readily available community college and ROP courses for adults and children alike here in California or should I?
2-3-2 started in 1985.  The Celts and Sixers had the best record and thus home court advantage for years in a row, much to LakerSternys dismay.  After the Celts punked Kreemy Magic in 7 games of 1984, LordSternfish had enough.
It almost backfired when in 1985 the Lakers had the best record but were able to squeak by the injury riddled Celts.
http://www.nba.com/finals2002/Breaking_Down_the_232_Format-46051-277.html

Sternfishes public excuse was that the season was too long, by June the series needed to be moved along.
 :D  As if bunching regular season games or having less preseason games wouldn't solve that.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 03:41:25 PM by Reality »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 03:51:04 PM »
I think you guys are putting WAY too much on this series right now...the Spurs are going to win, and I am saying in 6 games.  as for losing the first one and this being a "MUST WIN" well, to be honest I saw the Warriors running all over the Mavs and then Davis and Jackson got ejected, other than that ...they could have won again.  The big three still had a so so game last night and I expect one of them to really go off  for 30+ points soon.  Don't let the Denver posts rants get to you, SA IS the overall better team here and we are going to get past Denver.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.