Author Topic: Ouch, Lakers got spanked.  (Read 6656 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Ouch, Lakers got spanked.
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 11:39:56 AM »

Oh okay in that case...

Technically every game is a game you want or need to win.  Although I don't personally think everything is a 'must win'.  Sunday's Laker/Suns game is not a must win for the Suns.  If they lose to the Lakers they would still be even in the series and heading home.  Orlando and Detroit's game on Sunday is not a must win for Detroit.  If they were to lose they would still be up 3-1.  For the Lakers they need to win to get back into the series.  For Orlando they need to win or go fishing with Kenny.  Of course the Suns/Pistons need a win just like any other team in the playoffs, just for less urgent reasons.  They need it for rest and the other two teams need it to stay alive.

So essentially you are saying that each game is a must win, unless your team loses it and it is not the final game of the series, in which case it is okay to lose that last game as long as you have another game to look forward to, in which case anything can happen.

The suspense is killing me.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 11:47:20 AM »

Oh okay in that case...

Technically every game is a game you want or need to win.  Although I don't personally think everything is a 'must win'.  Sunday's Laker/Suns game is not a must win for the Suns.  If they lose to the Lakers they would still be even in the series and heading home.  Orlando and Detroit's game on Sunday is not a must win for Detroit.  If they were to lose they would still be up 3-1.  For the Lakers they need to win to get back into the series.  For Orlando they need to win or go fishing with Kenny.  Of course the Suns/Pistons need a win just like any other team in the playoffs, just for less urgent reasons.  They need it for rest and the other two teams need it to stay alive.

So essentially you are saying that each game is a must win, unless your team loses it and it is not the final game of the series, in which case it is okay to lose that last game as long as you have another game to look forward to, in which case anything can happen.

The suspense is killing me.

In essence, the game is a must win if you need to win because another team has won another game that puts you in a spot that you could not win the series.  If a team is ahead in the series with a win then it is not critical for them to win as they have already won.  If the team is behind and would be put into an elimination situation with a win then they need to win in order to be able to win again.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 11:52:37 AM »
Sunday is still a must win game if they want to get back into this series so they are not fully back on track. 

I have seen you guys posting comments about the upcoming game being a 'must-win- game for your team. These are the playoffs. Please point out to me which games in a seven game series is NOT a 'must-win' game?

Game 4 is not a must win for a team that is up 3-0 on their opponent.  Game 1 is not a must win for any team.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 12:07:35 PM »
Like if you die, you might not be alive anymore.
In which case you've lost a very important part of your life.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 12:18:23 PM »
Back to the Lakeshow, Jomal, rt or any non Lakers did you catch the 1st qtr?
Suns bolt to an 11-0 lead and extend that to 31-17.

Yet the 1st qtr ended with the Purple n Golden shooting 12 Fts to 2 for Phx.

Phx is up by 11 yet felt the need to slow the game and Showtime down by repeatedly fouling? ;)
Whereas -11 The Kobes saw no need to foul the Suns, they just rrrrrraagh D'd up on them?
15-4 at the half.

I saw the 11-0 bolt and the second half.  2nd half reffing looked equally good/bad for both teams.
Ended 28-12 in an allegedly even game.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 12:26:09 PM »
Suns bolt to an 11-0 lead and extend that to 31-17.

Yet the 1st qtr ended with the Purple n Golden shooting 12 Fts to 2 for Phx.

Phx is up by 11 yet felt the need to slow the game and Showtime down by repeatedly fouling? ;)
Whereas -11 The Kobes saw no need to foul the Suns, they just rrrrrraagh D'd up on them?
15-4 at the half.

I saw the 11-0 bolt and the second half.  2nd half reffing looked equally good/bad for both teams.
Ended 28-12 in an allegedly even game.

Reality go check the offensive rebound difference and the points in the paint difference.  PHX was shooting jump shots and the Lakers were attacking the rim.  That is why there is a big difference in FTs.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2007, 12:30:33 PM »
Reality go check the offensive rebound difference and the points in the paint difference.  PHX was shooting jump shots and the Lakers were attacking the rim.  That is why there is a big difference in FTs.
For the 1st qtr?  Do you really want me to check that?
I'm sure for the game it would end up in Lakers favor, with AStoudamire being ousted twice due to foul trouble.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2007, 12:39:48 PM »
I'm sure for the game it would end up in Lakers favor, with AStoudamire being ousted twice due to foul trouble.

Reality the Lakers beat them on the glass in every single quarter and abused them in the paint in every single quarter.

They were +13 on the offensive glass and +9 on the boards overall.

The amount of fouls called on the Suns was 18 and the Lakers 15 even though clearly the Lakers were the more aggressive team after the first 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 12:43:46 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2007, 12:53:40 PM »

Reality the Lakers beat them on the glass in every single quarter and abused them in the paint in every single quarter.

They were +13 on the offensive glass and +9 on the boards overall.

The amount of fouls called on the Suns was 18 and the Lakers 15 even though clearly the Lakers were the more aggressive team after the first 5 minutes.

Why bother?  The Lakers clearly went at the rim, when they didn't the Suns came storming back.  Barbosa was the only one going at the rim for the Suns, everyone else seemed to dunk or fade away.  Barbosa kept at it and got a few calls but the Lakers were able to collapse on him and make it difficult for him to score, when they collapse on Nash in the paint he found the open man and they made the Lakers pay.

Great game IF you actually WATCHED it, but who needs that when you can just read the box score?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2007, 01:03:07 PM »
WayOutWest
Why bother?  The Lakers clearly went at the rim, when they didn't the Suns came storming back.  Barbosa was the only one going at the rim for the Suns, everyone else seemed to dunk or fade away.  Barbosa kept at it and got a few calls but the Lakers were able to collapse on him and make it difficult for him to score, when they collapse on Nash in the paint he found the open man and they made the Lakers pay.

Great game IF you actually WATCHED it, but who needs that when you can just read the box score?

So Nash failed to take the ball to the rim, and in the 1st qtr the Lakers clearly went at the rim each trip down?
westkoast the Lakers parlayed a 3-0 offensive board advantage in the 1st qtr to a 12-2 FTA lead. 

Alrighty.  Glad you two watched the game.  I did watch till 11-0 and guess i did not see the Suns fail to take it to the rack, in fact i must have been haulicinating when i saw Nash drivin and dishin for assists in the first 6 minutes or so.  He ended up with 5 in the 1st qtr.
Nor did i see the Lakers takin it to the rim every play.  'Course I'm lousy at Laker Math.

Now if you actually READ my post: 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 01:18:20 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2007, 01:27:43 PM »
WayOutWest

So Nash failed to take the ball to the rim, and in the 1st qtr the Lakers clearly went at the rim each trip down?
westkoast the Lakers parlayed a 3-0 offensive board advantage in the 1st qtr to a 12-2 FTA lead. 

Alrighty.  Glad you two watched the game.  I did watch till 11-0 and guess i did not see the Suns fail to take it to the rack, in fact i must have been haulicinating when i saw Nash drivin and dishin for assists in the first 6 minutes or so.  He ended up with 5 in the 1st qtr.
Nor did i see the Lakers takin it to the rim every play.  'Course I'm lousy at Laker Math.

Now if you actually READ my post: 

Reality,

Aside from the alley oop to Stoudamire on a the fast break the Suns were not going to the rim.  Y  Amare had like 3-4 dunks the entire game.  The rest were jumpers for the most part.

You must have been hallucinating they were going to the rack because that is not how it is logged...

Bell Jump Shot: Made (2 PTS)
Assist: Stoudemire (1 AST)   11:45
[PHX 2-0]   
    11:34   Bryant Foul:Offensive (1 PF)
    11:34   Bryant Turnover:Foul (1 TO)
Nash Running Jump Shot: Made (2 PTS)
Assist: Stoudemire (2 AST)   11:21
[PHX 4-0]   
    11:04   Odom Jump Shot: Missed
Nash Rebound (Off:0 Def:1)   11:02   
Stoudemire Jump Shot: Made (2 PTS)
Assist: Nash (1 AST)   10:56
[PHX 6-0]   
    10:32   Brown Jump Shot: Missed
Stoudemire Rebound (Off:0 Def:1)   10:30   
Marion 3pt Shot: Made (3 PTS)
Assist: Nash (2 AST)   10:21
[PHX 9-0]   
    9:57   Walton Layup Shot: Missed Block: Stoudemire (1 BLK)
    9:54   Walton Layup Shot: Missed Block: Stoudemire (2 BLK)
    9:54   Walton Rebound (Off:1 Def:0)
Marion Rebound (Off:0 Def:1)
 Stoudemire Alley Oop Dunk Shot: Made (4 PTS)
Assist: Nash (3 AST)   9:48
[PHX 11-0]   

We are telling you why they went to the line more, they were more aggressive.  What more do you want us to say?  You didn't even watch the game so are you really trying to stir up a debate about it?

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 01:31:06 PM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2007, 01:37:45 PM »
Reality,

Aside from the alley oop to Stoudamire on a the fast break the Suns were not going to the rim.  Y  Amare had like 3-4 dunks the entire game.  The rest were jumpers for the most part.

You must have been hallucinating they were going to the rack because that is not how it is logged...

I saw Nash drive n dish out several times.  Also how its logged.

What more do you want us to say?  You didn't even watch the game so are you really trying to stir up a debate about it?

;D ;D  What more do i want you to say?
Jomal, rt or any non Lakers

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2007, 01:42:08 PM »
How DARE any of you assume to post on any thread on this board without permission! You vile, filthy, rude, interloping pigs!
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2007, 01:46:33 PM »
Being what Reality refers to as a "NON-LAKER", I feel it is my perogative to respond to a direct inquiry about this game.

No, I did not see this game. This makes me, if anything, overqualified to comment on the foul differential, and the referreeing, as I see fit. Clearly the favoritism awarded the Lakers at the foul line is a direct consequence of the fourth quarter of game six of the Laker/King 2002 playoff series. Undoubtedly the same refs who mucked up that earlier game were reminiscing about the looks on the Kings' players faces after every bogus call and wanted to reenact those expressions with the Suns players.

BTW, for those of you who actually DID see this game, did they succeed?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2007, 01:49:58 PM »
How DARE any of you assume to post on any thread on this board without permission! You vile, filthy, rude, interloping pigs!

Laker Fan -

May I please have permission to skewer any and all posts that are NOT vile, filthy, rude, or interloping piggylike enough to my liking?