Author Topic: Another eastern coach bites the dust  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Another eastern coach bites the dust
« on: February 10, 2004, 10:43:05 AM »
ESPN story

The Philadelphia 76ers, who have lost eight of their last 10 en route to a 21-31 first-half record, fired coach Randy Ayers on Tuesday, ESPN's Stephen A. Smith reports.

Assistant coach Chris Ford will take over as 76ers coach, Smith has learned.

Ayers was promoted from assistant in June to replace Larry Brown, who left the team after six seasons to become coach of the Detroit Pistons.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

jn

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 12:28:52 PM »
Good Lord! This is way out of hand. Hey why not just save time and let the coaches of the top 10 teams in the league coach 2 or 3 teams each?

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 02:06:12 PM »
I don't think anyone is surprised but it makes you wonder what you think that Randy was supposed to do with this team.  I mean, it's not like Brown didn't struggle with the personalities on this team and then they add the malcontent "Big Dog" to the mix that includes AI and Coleman?  And then expect a rookie coach to take them as far as one of the best coaches in the league -- and integrate Big Dog (who hasn't been happy since he entered the league) as well?  Sounds like a set-up for failure.  Well, Randy is happy he isn't one guy in the world -- Chris Ford.  Don't expect Ford to last long if success in Philly is the measuring stick.  Philly isn't playing up to their potential but people forget that Brown was a very good defensive coach -- and without Brown and the addition of the defensively challenged Big Dog, this team is going to continue to struggle (although they should be an over .500 team in the EC, IMO).  This is simply a matter of looking for a fall guy.

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 02:43:34 PM »
I thought they'd wait until the end of the season to fire Randy, but I knew he was going to be shown the door. I'm not sure any other coach could have done much better than Randy (so far this season) given the injuries and need to rely too heavily on a relatively inexperienced bench. I don't think this season is salvageable, so why not let Randy finish out the year? Do they really think Chris Ford is going to do much better.

Any guesses on who Ford's successor will be?

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 04:03:29 PM »
What coach in their right mind would want to go to Philly based on what they did to Randy? It's like they're daring a coach to come in and fail, you do that with the troublsome sqaud they have already and the pressure would be too much for any mere mortal
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 12:38:16 PM »
What headlines we can next expect from the fragile Eastern franchises:

Boston: Ricky Davis has spectacular dunk in last nights game. Unfortunately, it was at the wrong basket. As a direct result, Danny Ainge fires the team ball boy. "I know he is supporting his grandmother, but we can't allow anyone around the team who the players clearly have lost confidence with influencing their minds."

Miami: Lamar Odom dribbles the ball off his foot and out-of-bounds six times in last night's game. As a direct result, the team fires their office clerk. In a team announcement regarding the decision, a spokesman said: "It was time for mom to go. She insisted it was seven times and we just can't abide by such disloyalty.

New Jersey: Kenyan Martin attacks stadium car attendant for dropping his keys, leaving the handicapped girl hospitalized and unconscious. As a direct result, the team fires the attendant. "She started it. She dropped Kenyan's keys because she couldn't stop shaking. We have to protect our own."

New York: Allan Houston accuses locker room attendant of theft, getting the fifty-year Knick employee fired. Suffering from the sniffles, Allan was blowing his nose using $100 bills, as he normally does ever since signing his last contract, and tossing them around the locker room. Locker room attendant Bill Jones picked one up to "dispose of it properly", according to the perp, when the 80 year old man was gang tackled by Houston and the rest of the Knick players and held down until the police could be called and haul the criminal away. "No nobody handles my wad", Houston said later.

Orlando: Rod Strickland found drunk and disorderly in downtown Orlando. As a direct result, the team fires their security guard. "He is the one who said, 'Good night, Mr Strickland', when Rod left the stadium tonight. Who knows what sinister meaning lurked behind those words that sent poor Rod off the wagon."

Philadelphia: Derrick Coleman's knee collapses from his weight during his "rehab" for a fractured finger. As a direct result, the team fires the team trainer. "How could the man allow Derrick to gain all that weight, knowing it could potentially weaken his knees? Derrick can't even be expected to feed himself with his injured hand. There had to be some duplicity on the trainer's part in this."

Washington: Kwame Brown misses team flight to Cleveland, stating later, "I've been to Cleveland. I wanted to go someplace else." As a direct result, the team fires the assistant responsible for arranging scheduling. "I guess working 120 hours a week isn't a guarantee that they can foresee a problem brewing over players preferences about where they have to travel. I trust the next assistant doesn't possess that type of limited thinking."
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 12:40:04 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."