Author Topic: FoxSports writer blames David Stern for Crawford Vs Duncan..agree or disagree?  (Read 1236 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
How could it have turned out otherwise?

The little martinet David Stern ordered his cops to crack down. Zero tolerance, he said. You, the refs, are the bosses. The fans may pay exorbitant prices to see their favorite players play, but you are hereby empowered to T up a superstar if he dares so much as toss his headband toward his own bench.

For better or worse, suspensions have become commonplace in the NBA. But a referee? The enforcers of David Stern's zero-tolerance policy? This is not your everyday suspension. Was the punishment too harsh? Appropriate? Is this just another example of David Stern exerting his authority? Here's your chance to voice your opinion.
Also...

You shall rule through fear. Whistle as nightstick. Make examples of some guys and the others will step into line.

They will become obedient automatons. You can break them. Never let them forget who is in charge. If they see weakness, they will exploit it. You own that court. Now go knock heads.

Wally Szczerbiak waves his hand in a dismissive manner after a terrible foul call? T him up. Steve Nash turns his palms to the heavens in a plea for a call after playing through three fouls? T him up. Tim Duncan laughs incredulously on the bench after a foul call on a teammate? T him up. Toss him. Toss 'em all!

And then this. Joey Crawford is suspended indefinitely for having zero tolerance.

What? Joey Crawford stepped over the line? We're shocked, simply shocked that one of our enforcers, I mean, officials went too far. He will be dealt with harshly!

David Stern will now hang Crawford out to dry and pretend his zero tolerance policy had nothing to do with creating this problem in the first place. Crawford is the fall guy, the NBA's Scooter Libby. Stern, meanwhile, is now as big a hypocrite as he is an autocrat.

Make no mistake, I think Crawford can be a petty, grudge-holding thug and I've screamed at him by name courtside in L.A. and Phoenix. (Though he's always highly rated, I don't think he's that great an official either. He's basically a less-talented Steve Javie, who at least earns his quick trigger by being one of the league's best.) But Crawford's pugnacity, grating as it may be, was emboldened by Stern's ill-conceived zero tolerance policy.

The problem was Crawford really bought in. He was a true believer. He thought he was the boss. Until Stern reminded him who was really in charge.

Stern's "no complaining" edict was the dumbest directive to come out of a league office since baseball decided it was high time to start enforcing the balk rule according to the letter of the law in 1988.

A veteran player like Tim Duncan should be able to have a spirited disagreement with a veteran official like Crawford without it resulting in banishment. Just as a player should be able to slap the floor in disappointment after sacrificing his body to draw a charge only to get whistled for a block. Just as a player should be allowed to throw his headband into his bench. Or give a "get outta here" wave on a dubious call. Or react passionately to a call that genuinely surprises him.

Because if there are two things that are definitely not Fan-Tastic, it's watching superstars get banished to the showers and watching players shoot technical free throws.

Is Duncan, his choirboy rep notwithstanding, an inveterate whiner who deservedly earns most of his technicals? Sure. Does the hot-headed Crawford need to be reined in a bit? No doubt.

But you can't tell your employees to have zero tolerance and then have zero tolerance for them having zero tolerance.

It's been reported that Crawford asked Duncan if he wanted to fight, which is fairly comical if you take a second to think about it. Stern reacted as if Crawford sucker-punched Duncan.

It makes zero sense.

------------------------
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Refs are under huge stress.  To have a standard that they can never "crack" but millionaire players can every night is in and of itself a challenge for refs.  Okay for players to be human, often juvinile at that yet refs are supposed to be robots? 

I think Crawford meant "fight" as in argue, "fight" about calls.  All the National Inquire type snarking about Crawford wanting a real physical blow for blow real fight is lame.

That having been said, Crawford blew it.  But i agree Stern has done little to help the refs over the years.

Is Ronny Nunn addressing this on his show?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Refs are under huge stress.  To have a standard that they can never "crack" but millionaire players can every night is in and of itself a challenge for refs.  Okay for players to be human, often juvinile at that yet refs are supposed to be robots? 

I think Crawford meant "fight" as in argue, "fight" about calls.  All the National Inquire type snarking about Crawford wanting a real physical blow for blow real fight is lame.

That having been said, Crawford blew it.  But i agree Stern has done little to help the refs over the years.

Is Ronny Nunn addressing this on his show?

One would say that the players should have more of a right to show emotion then a ref.  A player has a vested interest in each game they play in.   They also chose a side in which to favor (their own team obviously).  The refs shouldn't get as 'heated' as the players for the simple fact they should not care which way a game, call, or play goes.

I do agree on the comments you made about 'fight'.  Does anyone honestly believe that little old Joey was going to whoop up on Tim Duncan?  David was a young guy when he took down Goliath right?

Crawford being suspended for the rest of the season is above and beyond what should have happened...a fine and a stern (pardon the pun) warning.  I didn't want to see Crawford a ref in ANY Spurs playoff game this playoffs but he could have worked plenty of other games.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
But it should not be 100/0 or 99/1 as to players being allowed to show emotion vs refs being allowed.

On the other end, Stern has allowed refs like Mavetta to get away with incompetence for years.
Stern is simply a horrible leader refwise.

The fight.  Duncan also should stop his silly inferences in the media to Crawford wanting to fight him.  Duncan went on to say "if he wants to fight me we can do that" (paraphrase) and that's classless by Tim.
Sure Tim is speaking hypothetically but nonetheless, don't add fuel to Crawfords misguided fire.
At this point dousing any misconception of a real physical fight is the way to go.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
I think Duncan and Crawford should meet at center court prior to the first playoff game and kiss and make out, er, I mean make up. Then Crawford should host Duncan's Bar Mizvah honoring his entering manhood.

Once reinstated, Stern should require that Crawford wear an armband declaring his probationary period, during which time he can't toss out any player for any reason for, say, the first three months of next season. Players from both teams will be allowed to laugh at Crawford for one minute any time Joey calls a foul, then turn their backs to him as they make mockery of Crawford to the fans. All team mascots can urinate at will on him as Crawford walks by during time outs.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
The problem with the article is that Stern said that he has spoken to Crawford about this before, and warned him not to go too far in his discretion.

Clearly, Crawford acted irresponsibly and ruined one of the last meaningful games of the season.  Thank Stern that Crawford won't be officiating any of the Spurs/Nuggets games, since it would put the Spurs at risk from intentionally bad officiating.  Even if it is caught later, that could be too late for the Spurs, just as the end of that last game cost them a shot at the 2 spot.

Anyone watching that game knew that Duncan did nothing to deserve that second technical.  Therefore Joey was the problem. Therefore Stern acted.  End of problem.

Frankly, I agree the rule is stupid.  Prohibiting a player from expressing his emotions is assinine.  These are human beings, not robots.  They have feelings and they are part of the game.  There are acceptable limits for expressing that behavior, and then there are unnacceptable forms, like showing off a ref.  But hitting the pad on the basketball poll, because you missed a block should not be a technical.  And nether should anything that I saw Tim Duncan do, justify a technical.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
I think Duncan and Crawford should meet at center court prior to the first playoff game and kiss and make out, er, I mean make up. Then Crawford should host Duncan's Bar Mizvah honoring his entering manhood.

Once reinstated, Stern should require that Crawford wear an armband declaring his probationary period, during which time he can't toss out any player for any reason for, say, the first three months of next season. Players from both teams will be allowed to laugh at Crawford for one minute any time Joey calls a foul, then turn their backs to him as they make mockery of Crawford to the fans. All team mascots can urinate at will on him as Crawford walks by during time outs.
Staff how are we doing on those cut in half basketball clothes?