Author Topic: Is Elton Brand KG Jr?  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is Elton Brand KG Jr?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 01:45:57 PM »
Spurs have a ton of cap space starting in 2008.  Eltie Brand or KG woohoo!!  There is our athletic 3 lurker, three years late but still there.  I know you are gonna be a boobird and call them 4s.

And why should I call a couple players that exclusively play the PF position athletic 3s?  Might as well say we got our athletic 3 already in Tony Parker.  But I suppose you will be a downer and say he is a point guard.

If we get KG or Elton Brand you can call Eva Longoria our athletic 3 for all i care. :D
lurker you are turning into a crotchety old fart.  See Rolando Blackman for graceful aging.
If we get KG or Eltie Brand will you accept my invitation to dance with me?

A starting lineup of Parker, Manu, Eva, KG/EB & TD...I'll go for that.  But then KG/EB still aren't athletic 3s.   ;D 
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 03:29:50 PM »
Yes.  The similarities are dead on except I believe KG's range is a bit better and his height gives him a slight advantage.  Brand is stronger and has more in the back pocket for banging down low.  As far as being asked to do everything for a team not quite there, that is Brand.  He has to rebound, he has to defend, he has to score, etc.  Both are work horses, both can't be traded because you would never get the players in return, both are all around good guys off the court also.

Elton Brand cannot play the 5 or the 3 and neither can Garnett...they just don't play that position.  Brand is undersized and Garnett doesn't attack on the offensive end like a center would. 

I just read a study that debates with guys who flame/purposely act dumb on messages boards actually causes one to age faster.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 03:57:10 PM »
If Lurker and Reality are done blowing kisses to each other, I'd like to chime in.

First to all you Laker fans, especiall thee one and only Laker Fan (you still don't post enough), then again I'm one to talk these last couple months.  I think you're all off your gourd.  Kevin Garnett with the Lakers, let's see, a 6'11 forward who scores at a decent clip, a rebounding machine, passes extremely well and comes to work everyday.  One problem--you already have that!  Lamar Odom is pretty much KG Lite.  He doesn't score quite as well (but has more range which is more useful in the triangle), gets 2 or so less rebounds, passes just as well if not better, and comes to work everyday when his labrum isn't torn.  I'll add that Lamar Odom is a better ball handler and that coupled with 3-point range makes him a little better fit in the triangle and Odom's three years younger.  Now obviously KG is a quality player and that can only help a team but I'd worry about a huge regression from Odom.  I think there are more obvious and better choices including what W.O.W. called a bad fit: CHICAGO!

Chicago has a dominant, defense only Center, two young SF's coming into their own (Noce and Deng), and a good (albeit small) compliment of guards headed by Gordon and Hinrich.  There is one big, gaping whole is PF where they have a fossil name PJ Brown, and very very young kid in Tyrus Thomas who plays very very young.  They could wait for KG to become a FA and sign him or try to entice Kevin McHale with a package that includes Tyrus Thomas (an exciting prospect sure to become a fan favorite).  McHale has made worst deals before.        

As for KG in Utah, you'd almost have to give Boozer or Okur up in a trade which I guess you could.  But if you give Okur up, you'd force Boozer to become a Center and he's really not one.  If you give Boozer up, you'd have to re-work the offense around Garnett who isn't a low post banger like Boozer and Sloan likes the man he runs his offense around to be a low post banger.  You could trade for Garnett with a package that included Kirilenko but after his regression this year, Minnesota might not go for it.  Now Garnett could play the three in place of AK in Utah and good God that front court would be TALL but once again you're getting older at the position and losing defensive versatility as a team.  

Washington would be intriguing if only because you could sit DeShawn Stevenson on the bench where he belongs, move Caron Butler to the 2, move Antawn Jamison to the 3, play Garnett at the 4, and with Arenas scoring and Jordan's Princeton offense, you'd have just about the most versatile offensive team in the league.  Garnett would bring a much needed defensive presence in the middle and Washington could make waves.  

As for W.O.W's comment about coattail riding.  I think in Cleveland, people would say KG is riding the coattails of LeBron James (the NBA's golden child).  I think in LA, people would say he's riding the coattails of Kobe Bryant.  
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 04:01:37 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 04:14:50 PM »
I don't agree Odom comes to play every quarter, let alone every night.  Haven't seen much of Odom lately so he could have changed but IMO he's always playing below his potental.

Chicago could become a Detroit with KG, I was thinking more about KG being the 2nd banana on a team with a dominant star, preferably a back court player.  IMO LeBron and Kobe have not made their teams contendors on their own, they need a KG type to get them over so in that regard I wouldn't call KG a coat tail rider.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 04:37:52 PM »
Odom.....  I don't know if I would say he doesn't come to play every night, I think he does but sometimes he is not 100% focused.  He will compete and try hard but the brain lapses seem as if his mind is in another place.  He always is excellent on the glass but when it comes to strapping a team on his back or making that big play, KG is superior to him.  If Odom starts on a bad note, he stays on a bad note.  If KG starts on a bad note, he ends up with the same production he always does.  One night Odom could have 20 points and 9 assists the next he could have 7 points 8 assists and 13 rebounds.      Also, KG's defense is better.  Both as an on the ball defender  and in a help situation.  Odom was better then he is now prior to his injury.

Would I think KG would be a better fit for the triangle?  I wouldn't say that.  I feel almost as if it would limit KG more then he would like.  Plus ball movement is key in the triangle and Odom is twice the passer KG is.  If the Lakers made room for KG to go outside of the offense when he feels he needs to like they have for Kobe then it could work but if Kobe and KG are doing it, why run the triangle? lol

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 05:39:01 PM »
If Lurker and Reality are done blowing kisses to each other, I'd like to chime in.

Kevin Garnett with the Lakers, let's see, a 6'11 forward who scores at a decent clip, a rebounding machine, passes extremely well and comes to work everyday.  One problem--you already have that!  Lamar Odom is pretty much KG Lite.  

As for W.O.W's comment about coattail riding.  I think in Cleveland, people would say KG is riding the coattails of LeBron James (the NBA's golden child).  I think in LA, people would say he's riding the coattails of Kobe Bryant.  
Kind of like Odom is riding the Kobesters coatails now to what, another .500 year? :D
KG would become the best player on the Lakers.
Whether the combo of KG and Kobe could title, probably not.  But they would certainly challenge.

lurker, myself and the Spurs on the other hand will be kissing each other for years if KG or Eltie Brand come to town.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 05:52:57 PM »
^^ and i agree Skander that Chicago would be a great fit for KG were MN to accept TT as the trade.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 06:08:24 PM »

Kevin Garnett with the Lakers, let's see, a 6'11 forward who scores at a decent clip, a rebounding machine, passes extremely well and comes to work everyday.  One problem--you already have that!  Lamar Odom is pretty much KG Lite. 

As for W.O.W's comment about coattail riding.  I think in Cleveland, people would say KG is riding the coattails of LeBron James (the NBA's golden child).  I think in LA, people would say he's riding the coattails of Kobe Bryant. 
Kind of like Odom is riding the Kobesters coatails now to what, another .500 year? :D
KG would become the best player on the Lakers.
Whether the combo of KG and Kobe could title, probably not.  But they would certainly challenge.

lurker, myself and the Spurs on the other hand will be kissing each other for years if KG or Eltie Brand come to town.

Do you have even the slightest idea that contracts make these impossible with out getting rid of alot of the current squad? 

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 06:18:05 PM »
Skander I disagree, I have watched more Laker games this year than usual and a couple of things I notice about Odom , he IS NOT the same player he was before the injury, now, I understand it takes time to heal and certainly I will give him the benefit of the doubt there, he was pretty jacked up, but he is playing far less of a post game than he used to and his drives are timid at best, he is not twice the passer Garnett is as has been mentioned here, he is better but not by much. Besides, Garnett does more off the ball than Odom ever has, his defense leaves Odom in the dust, and he (like Odom) would be very content with his role in LA, ie, second scoring option, primarily bacause he knows his value as a defensive player would turn LA into a very deadly defensive squad, I think it would improve Lukes defense and allow Kobe to play more defense because the scoring burden would be somewhat lifted with Kevin in there. Where he would really be the better player than Odom (and I really, really like Lamar), is the effect he would have on Luke Walton, they would be a deadly combo in the front court because they are both so aggressive on and off the ball and Walton has great passing skills in traffic in the post, something that would allow Garnett to work down low very freely and he is a good passer out of the paint should defenses collapse on him, face it, that is not something teams do to LA now with Odom on the floor.

I really don't think the triangle fits Garnetts game fully although I think his skills would allow him to adjust admirably and his passing skills would only add value based on the way the tri is played.

Would I give up Odom for Garnett? Yes but you gave me the reason, Odom is Garnett lite, and we need industrail strength Garnett, the more painful question is would we give up Bynum, especially since the whole purpose would be to put together the frontcourt I have mentioned, and moronic opinions aside (Kevin would NEVER be the best player on the Lakers while Kobe is there), Garnett simply brings more to the table, I love Odom but he will not put us over the top, Kevin could make us the team to beat in the west.
Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 06:23:09 AM »
There are 2 scenarios...KG being traded and KG signing as a FA.  Simply put; adding a top 5 player to any team would improve them. 

Trade: Most teams would get hamstrung trading for KG...unless Minnesota gets burned.  Of course the Wolves won't get full value (see Shaq, Iverson) but should get decent talent back.  Most teams can't give up much talent and still have enough left to still be competitive.  IMO Chicago, Toronto, and the Lakers have the right combination of youth and talent to pull it off.  Lakers would have to part with both Odom & Bynum but would become a team with two superstars that need solid role players to succeed.  Kwame & Walton both fill the definition of role players.  Chicago would have to part with at least one of their guards + Deng/Nocioni.  Toronto may be able to pull it off without Bosh which they should do but Minnesota should insist on getting Bosh which IMO would kill any trade.  Another possibilty might be the Blazers but Roy would have to be offlimits in the discussions.

FA:  There is not a team in the NBA that wouldn't improve by signing KG...including the top teams.  Mavs is the closest since they would be pressed to play KG at the 5...or move Dirk to the 3.  Suns could play KG at the 4 and Marion back at the 3.  Spurs move TD to the 5 and has twin towers again.  Heat bring Haslem off the bench to back up KG/Shaq.  Detroit does the same with Webber.  A starting PF for Chicago, Cleveland, Nets, Wizards, Pacers, Magic and the rest of the East would be a gift from heaven.  In a way it is the same for the west...two possible exceptions: 1)Hornets with Chandler/West being a solid frontcourt but KG is an upgrade over either of those; and 2) Nuggets with Camby/Nene/KMart but again KG is an upgrade.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 09:17:46 AM »
I agree with Lurker in terms of trades with the exception of Toronto, I just don't know enough about them to say what they can or can't part with.  The Lakers would not have to part with both Bynum and Odom, they would probably have to part with one of those two and package him with another player, Walton/Cook/Turiaf/Brown.  IMO it should be Odom that goes but I would hate to part with Walton because the net effect would not be a legit title contendor on the same level as Dallas/SA/PHX.  I was thinking more along the lines of picking KG up on the FA market. 

I think the Lakers could wait 2 years in the hopes of landing KG on the FA market, it would give them time to develop Bynum and Turiaf but you can't plan that far ahead in the NBA because you never know what could happen in the mean time.  IMO the Lakers need two of the three, Walton/Bynum/Odom, players to support Kobe.  Of the three Bynum is the least valuable but has the most upside, plus he doesn't make much money so IMO it will be Odom and another big, Brown hopefully, that would be the viable trade option for the Lakers.

Who knows what Minny will do or if KG has made any comments/demands.  They could try and get what they can next year or just ride out his contract and wave good bye to the big ticket.  Barring any major moves IMO the Wolves should trade KG.  I will dream of a KG/Walton/Bynum frontcourt for the next few weeks.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 10:31:47 AM »
Once again signing Garnett is going to be a little difficult with Kobe and Odom's contracts on the books and if you guys like your Luke Walton, I'm guessing you're going to have to pay him come this July.  Bynum also becomes restricted FA next summer and all that coupled with the albatross contract of Kwame Brown and Radman makes things difficult.  Doable but difficult.  Trading for Garnett will be the more feasible option and I think Odom definitely has to be in the deal.  Garnett will improve the Lakers as a whole but at the cost of Odom regressing.  Personally I think Minnesota is stupid if its content with a guy like Ronny Turiaf in the deal, really just a Laker hustle guy (the last Laker hustle guy hasn't worked too well for them -- Mad-dog).  Additionally I think it would be a mistake to settle for Kwame Brown, since they alread have a 7 foot bum with small hands and a fragile psyche in Mark Blount.  Bynum is the player Minnesota should ask for and the Lakers have to decide if Garnett (31 this May) is worth Odom (27) and Bynum (19!).  Now, no question LFD, wk, W.O.W. are absolutely right in that the defense Garnett is giving you is planets ahead of Odom (both on the ball and help defense), Garnett has also proven more durable throughout his career.  But I'll still argue Odom is better suited as Phil's point-forward in the Triangle than Garnett which the very least offsets the 6 point scoring average KG has on him.  Not to mention the limitless upside of Bynum.  Now if McHale is stupid enough to accept Odom-Turiaf, Odom-Brown, or even Odom-Walton, I say go for it. 

=========================================================================

I'm thinking Toronto really doesn't want to give up any of their core to get KG.  I think Chris Bosh is definitely untouchable and I don't think Bryan Colangelo would even consider giving up Andrea Bargnani (diluted though that may be).  I guess you could play KG at PF, continue to force Bosh to play C, and have Bargnani be a very tall, slow but good shooting SF.  Switch KG and Bargnani and now you're giving up rebounds at PF and forcing Garnett to guard quicker players.  I just don't think its the right fit. 

==========================================================================

I think San An, Dallas, Miami, and Detroit could all use Garnett but they're contendors without him and already streched enough financially to not be able to sign him outright and probably don't want to give up important pieces critical to their chemistry that Minnesota would ask for in a trade (Ginobili, Howard, Wade (about the only guy in Miami worth Garnett now that I think about it), and Billups). 

==========================================================================

I've already said Chicago is a slam dunk with the combinations they can throw at Minnesota:  Deng-Thomas, Nocioni-Thomas, Gordon-Thomas, and they can afford all those scenario's easily.  Phoenix is an interesting case.  Is giving up Stoudemire moronic, think about it.  Will Stoudemire ever be what he was two years ago, he's comeback admirably no doubt, but I'm sure everyone's noticed he doesn't quite play in the air like he used to.  Phoenix is about the only team that could get away with playing Garnett at C.  Nash and Barbosa in the backcourt, Bell at the 3, Marion at the 4, and Garnett at the 5.  Garnett can do everything Stoudemire can offensively but now he brings a true defensive presence and better rebounding to the table.  Most people would say give up Marion but I value him more than most.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 10:47:18 AM »
IMO PHX would be too small, they could go a little bigger with Diop at C and bring Barbosa off the bench.  His blinding speed is magnified when he goes up against the opposing teams 2nd unit.

I still go back to my original Clev, LAL, etc... scenarios.  Obviously I'd like to see him in L.A.  The work ethic that KG brings would mesh well with Kobe's.  So would Brand but that's an even loftier dream.  I'm sure fans around the league could care less about the Lakers putting another championship caliber team together.  Another team that comes to mind is Sactown, KG would be a great fit with the Kings.  They have a legit center who wouldn't clog the middle for KG, if KG wants to exploit that solid post game he showed against TD and Spurs in playoffs past.  They could dump thier PF's and some talent in the backcourt for KG and still have a major shot at the title with Bibby, Artest, Miller and KG.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2007, 11:25:09 AM »
IMO PHX would be too small, they could go a little bigger with Diop at C and bring Barbosa off the bench.  His blinding speed is magnified when he goes up against the opposing teams 2nd unit.

How does Diop move from the Mavs to the Suns?  If we can move players around on rosters without any limits then this could be fun.  Kind of like Reality does all the time.

-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2007, 11:48:59 AM »

How does Diop move from the Mavs to the Suns?  If we can move players around on rosters without any limits then this could be fun.  Kind of like Reality does all the time.

Woops, Diaw.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"