Author Topic: Smush calls out the Zenmaster publically  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Smush calls out the Zenmaster publically
« on: April 06, 2007, 10:24:08 AM »
Things look like they are going downhill for the Lakeshow heading into the playoffs...

From ESPN:
LOS ANGELES -- Lakers guard Smush Parker wasn't happy when he was benched for the entire fourth quarter of Wednesday night's 90-82 loss to the Clippers.

On Thursday, Parker made sure Lakers coach Phil Jackson knew how he felt.

When asked by the Los Angeles Times if he would be ready to play Friday night in Seattle, Parker said, "I was ready to play [Wednesday] night. I wanted to play [Wednesday] night. I didn't appreciate being benched."

Parker told the newspaper he was surprised when he wasn't put back in the lineup Wednesday and was asked on Thursday what he had to do to get back on the court.

"I feel fine. I felt I did everything I need to do to be out there. I gave up trying to read that man a long time ago," Parker told the newspaper, referring to Jackson.

Parker said Jackson told him that he wasn't pressuring the Clippers or playing with enough energy Wednesday night. Parker has started every game with the Lakers since August 2005, but told the newspaper he didn't assume he'd be in the starting lineup Friday.

Jackson explained his decision to bench Parker as such: "It just didn't feel like he had the enthusiasm to get up there and press the ball and do the kind of things Shammond [Williams] and Jordan [Farmar] and Sasha [Vujacic] would do," Jackson told the newspaper.

Jackson and Parker also clashed when Parker was removed in the fourth quarter from last month's game against the Phoenix Suns because Parker was struggling offensively and defensively. The two argued briefly and Parker spent the rest of the game pouting at the end of the bench.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Smush calls out the Zenmaster publically
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 10:33:50 AM »
I hardly think this points to that Lurker...I think other factors are more important (or point to a bad situation going into the playoffs) then Smush being unhappy with Phil.  I tend to agree with PJ and the coaching staff about Smush's lack of intensity.  Sometimes he plays with alot of heart and sometimes he just goes through the motions.   Not sure what that is attributed to, I kind of feel like the city of LA in general has been entirely too hard on him.  Every year the fair weather fans and the bone head fans alike always pick out one player to place all the Laker problems on.  Whether it is team defense or the team running the triangle, it seems one player gets to be the scapegoat.   Perimeter defense has been an issue but Kobe is guilty of this also but of course people won't say that.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 10:36:03 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 11:03:17 AM »
I meant not so much that Smush being angry was the main problem...like he really matters that much to the Lakers.  The other 4 starters saying this and it would be a bigger issue.  Moreso just the fact that when team unity should be building to a peak there continues to be reports of unrest from LA.  This is the second report in a month that had a player dissing PJ.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 11:29:59 AM »
Smush isn't playing well enough and that's the bottom line.  He should shut up and play harder if he wants to regain Phil's trust.

With the way things are going, it appears likely that the Lakers think Smush is expendable.  Which other team wants a whinning unproductive guard on their squad?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 12:33:59 PM »
Surely Kobe will solve all this, won't he  ???

I'm concerned for the Zenmeisters health.  Before his angioplasty he was also looking very rugged.  Now i certainly don't think he is having heart problems again, but he looks very peaked. 

While it was noble of Phil to come back to L.A., and no doubt the 10's of millions helped his decision, i don't think he envisioned this.
It's not over yet, you Lakers should not abandon hope that the December Lakers could return for the playoffs.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 01:04:11 PM »
Smush isn't playing well enough and that's the bottom line.  He should shut up and play harder if he wants to regain Phil's trust.

With the way things are going, it appears likely that the Lakers think Smush is expendable.  Which other team wants a whinning unproductive guard on their squad?

Exactly Rick, from day one I've been saying he's not a starting quality PG.  He's got all the physical gifts but his head is just not where it needs to be, he makes dumb mistakes and as westkoast said the plays lazy at times.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 02:47:04 PM »

Exactly Rick, from day one I've been saying he's not a starting quality PG.  He's got all the physical gifts but his head is just not where it needs to be, he makes dumb mistakes and as westkoast said the plays lazy at times.

He is a pretty athletic player.  That really what makes him more valuable then Sasha, Shamond, and Farmar.  Those guy's don't have half the physical gifts that he does.  The difference is Sasha and Farmar make up (and then some) for it by giving 100% effort on the defensive end at all times.   He can play with heart and I've seen it...but he goes through the motions sometimes also. 

Smush's playground backround probably hurts him a bit also.  When you are playing up to a winning number you don't need to play defense if you can score like Smush can.  Problem is this is the NBA...not the Rucker.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 05:32:02 PM »
Phillip responds.  I thought Phils response and communication with Parkr was excellent.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakerep7apr07,1,6717233.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

In part:

Jackson seemed almost amused by all the activity, but his words carried weight.
"I like to have a person, especially a guard, out there that's a lead guard and [who will] know what's going on and be mentally stable," Jackson said Friday. "Sometimes I can't tell whether Smush is totally there in the moment all the time or just so removed that he's gone."

Jackson met with Parker recently and told him that even if he wasn't in the Lakers' plans after the season, other teams probably would call the Lakers and ask about Parker's attitude and demeanor. In other words, Jackson suggested Parker play competitively the rest of the season.

But Parker stewed at the end of the bench after Jackson pulled him in the fourth quarter of a loss to Phoenix last month, and then came Wednesday's fourth-quarter benching, followed by Parker's publicly stated unhappiness.

"One of the biggest things that we've tried to help Smush overcome is when he comes out of the game to keep a level attitude," Jackson said. "He pouts a little bit when he comes out. Players don't want to come out of the game — they want to play the game — but the outward expression sometimes is sour. That irritates the fans, and I know some of the people on our team would like to see him have a better attitude toward that.

"I think a lot of the players have extended themselves to Smush this year and really tried to get him going. I'm not saying [he is] aloof, but he has that kind of attitude…. He's an isolationist in a lot of ways. He stands apart from the team, and I think that removes him from the communication level he should have with his teammates."

"We have to have him play at a little higher level," Jackson said. "If he doesn't, then we have to find somebody else that's going to go out there and do the job."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 06:36:24 PM »
Phil said before Friday's game that he is a Smush supporter and would like the guard to play at a high level....

Smush responds by getting schooled by Earl Watson and scoring 3 points...

Needless to say, Smush is not going to be back next year.  I am pretty certain of that.