Author Topic: Rule enforcement. Travelling, bunnyhop, arguing.  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Rule enforcement. Travelling, bunnyhop, arguing.
« on: March 07, 2007, 09:20:17 AM »
Supposedly all three of these were going to be enforced this year.
I see no differense whatsoever.  Do you?

Last nights Mavs game was but one example.  In a 64-64 close game, Jason Terry is getting D'd up on.  He picks up his dribble, takes one obvious step as he switches pivot foot.  No where to go he then jumps, ovbiously leaving both feet.  Lands not in bunnyhop two feet style, but on ONE foot whereupon he shuffles an entire nother step towards the hoop.  Yeah he skipped.  It was such an obvious travel.  Tweet!  Travel?  Nope.  Bucket plus *foul* as the Mav crowd cheered on.

Arguing calls going to be cracked down on.  Haha!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rule enforcement. Travelling, bunnyhop, arguing.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 12:54:14 PM »
Traveling...no, not very consistant.  They go stretches of games where they focus more on it and then games where they don't at all. 

Bunny hop? Nope.  Not at all!

Arguing?  I've seen a difference this year.  They have been T'ing guys up for it more then in previous years.  However, I feel that some of the T's they've called for being unhappy with a call were not warranted.

One thing they have done a better job in calling all year long is when post players shift their feet before they put the ball on the ground.  They've done a much better job of calling that this year.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 07:06:15 PM »
Supposedly all three of these were going to be enforced this year.
I see no differense whatsoever.  Do you?

Last nights Mavs game was but one example.  In a 64-64 close game, Jason Terry is getting D'd up on.  He picks up his dribble, takes one obvious step as he switches pivot foot.  No where to go he then jumps, ovbiously leaving both feet.  Lands not in bunnyhop two feet style, but on ONE foot whereupon he shuffles an entire nother step towards the hoop.  Yeah he skipped.  It was such an obvious travel.  Tweet!  Travel?  Nope.  Bucket plus *foul* as the Mav crowd cheered on.

Arguing calls going to be cracked down on.  Haha!

No doubt the number of traveling calls is up this season.  Previously you saw at most 2-3 called a game, now you see at least twice that many.  As Westkoast noted they are calling the happy feet of post players much more than in the past.

I Have also seen the "bunny hop" called a lot more as well.

As far as the arguing with the officals, I think it has improved, but it still goes on.  I think the change has been that the officals are not willing to put up with foul language.  Deal with them in a non-confrontational way, and you can pretty much talk all night.  All of which is a step in the right direction.

I think all 3 areas are improved, and if we can just get a better set of standards on "charging/blocking/flopping", then I think we would really be making progress.  I am last on the list to give Stu Jackson compliments, but I must say that the efforts made this year have been good, IMHO.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 02:36:33 AM »
No doubt the number of traveling calls is up this season.  Previously you saw at most 2-3 called a game, now you see at least twice that many.  As Westkoast noted they are calling the happy feet of post players much more than in the past.

I Have also seen the "bunny hop" called a lot more as well.

As far as the arguing with the officals, I think it has improved, but it still goes on.  I think the change has been that the officals are not willing to put up with foul language.  Deal with them in a non-confrontational way, and you can pretty much talk all night.  All of which is a step in the right direction.

I think all 3 areas are improved, and if we can just get a better set of standards on "charging/blocking/flopping", then I think we would really be making progress.  I am last on the list to give Stu Jackson compliments, but I must say that the efforts made this year have been good, IMHO.
Bunny hops are being called? 
I agree the arguing, while continuous is improved.  Before berating and swearing was done with mostly no response.  Now they can still talk to the ref but yes, its better.  However, LordSternfishes edict that players could only talk to refs as they were retreating downcourt is not enforced at all.  Right after shots players are still approaching refs and complaining.
Palming is a little better.  Altho i saw GNob get away with a highlight reel fake pass that i thought should have been palming.
Flopping allegedly LordSternfish is having them consult with hockey to study how flops can be detected and penalized.
Nothing that will effect the 2007 title tho.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 10:39:45 AM »
In 2007 Sterny claimed the NBA was gonna try and clean these up.

You guys see any improvement. 

1 Bunny hops?  Still allowed as usual, i see no changes. 
2 Travelling ditto
3 Arguing with refs, supposedly only being able to talk to ref as you are retreating downcourt.  Not enforced AT ALL.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 11:06:53 AM »
Gm 2 Cavs-Magic at 93-93 with 30 secs the obvious travel by Bron being called was nice to see.
(I initially thought it was not.  Just saw replay.)