Author Topic: I really want to know  (Read 1696 times)

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
I really want to know
« on: March 06, 2007, 11:44:06 AM »
Hey y'all!!!

I am always seeing posts talking about 'first tier', 'second tier', and 'third tier' teams, but I have never really known what the criteria is for defining/labeling a team as such. Would someone here be so good as to let me know what the characteristics of a team in each one of these echelons are? 

-RB
Shaq #1
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: I really want to know
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 12:03:51 PM »
The main basis, especially this time of year, is where they happen to be in relation to standings.  There are enough games played to mainly go off that.  Although certain teams may rank higher then others based on expierence and past performance.  For example even tho Utah and Cleveland are playing well they wouldn't be considered top tier (by my standards) since they are not a proven team. 

Top Tier: Phx, Dallas, San Antonio ,Detroit
2nd Tier: Cleveland, Utah, Miami, Houston, Orlando, Lakers, Washington, etc
3rd Tier: Memphis, Atlanta, Boston, Seattle, etc
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 12:11:15 PM »
IMO,

1st tier = championship favorite (Dallas, Phx and Pistons-borderline)
2nd tier = championship contendor (Pistons, Spurs and Miami-borderline)
3rd tier = playoff contendor (Miami, Lakers, Utah, Cleveland and etc...)
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 12:56:53 PM »
1st tier - teams that have won a (recent) championship (Spurs, Heat, Pistons and that LA team), or should have won a championship by now, but were either cheated out of it or just missed (Kings, Mavs, Jazz, Nets)
2nd tier - teams that look like they will get a chance to win a championship or may again (Cavs, Suns, Hornets, Bulls)
3rd tier - teams that will never win even a ticket to a championship game (Hawks, Grizzlies, Clippers, T-Wolves), or were once a championship team that are now cruddy (Knicks, Celtics, Sonics, Blazers, Warriors)
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 01:26:20 PM »
IMO. 

First Tier is teams that are a lock to make the Playoffs, with an above average seed, and a sense that they have a legitmate shot at the Championship.

Second Tier teams are clearly good enough to be in the playoffs, but is unclear whether they are able to unseat the Tier one teams.

Third Tier- teams that are not in the playoffs or will just barely get in.  Fodder for First and Second tier teams.

First tier teams at this time are:  Dallas, Phoenix, and San Antonio in the West, and Detroit in the East.  Miami should be here, but injuries and their current record keep them out.

Second tier teams don't matter until they demonstrate they are competitive with First tier teams. 

Third tier teams are barely worth mentioning, unless you happen to be a fan of one.  I am a fan of a third tier team, and am rooting for draft picks.  That's what happens when your team is bad- you want them to find a way to get better.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 01:53:56 PM »
Second Tier teams are clearly good enough to be in the playoffs, but is unclear whether they are able to unseat the Tier one teams.

Second tier teams don't matter until they demonstrate they are competitive with First tier teams. 
I would add that 2nd tier matter in that teams can affect a title by helping tire out a 1st tier team for that 1st tiers next round.

Which is why playoffs should be seeded by entire league and not conference.

West 2nd tiers vastly superior to Easts 2nd tiers.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 02:12:41 PM »
I would add that 2nd tier matter in that teams can affect a title by helping tire out a 1st tier team for that 1st tiers next round.

...especially when second rate players on second tier teams domestically abuse second rate players on first tier teams thereby causing the evenutal downfall of said first tier team to a future first tier team that may or may not already have surpassed them on the tierhood anyway.

Reality it was a long, long time ago.  Repeat after me:

"I forgive you Ron Artest, I forgive you Gregg Popovich."

...isn't that better, now.  If not, check into therapy.   
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 02:18:23 PM »
...especially when second rate players on second tier teams domestically abuse second rate players on first tier teams thereby causing the evenutal downfall of said first tier team to a future first tier team that may or may not already have surpassed them on the tierhood anyway.

:D  :D  :D  :D

Addendum-

1st tier teams are teams that make the 1 through 4 seedings for the playoffs;
2nd tier teams make the 5 through 8 seedings;
3rd tier teams are lottery teams.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 02:26:13 PM »

Addendum-

1st tier teams are teams that make the 1 through 4 seedings for the playoffs;
2nd tier teams make the 5 through 8 seedings;
3rd tier teams are lottery teams.

Poor Rockets...6th (edit: originally said 5th) best record in the entire NBA and relegated to second tier while the Raptors are a solid first tier team.   ???

I would say...
1st tier:  teams that are winning at .600+ clip (basically a 50 win season).  Mavs, Suns, Spurs, Jazz, Pistons, Rockets
2nd tier: Everyone not in tier 1 or 3.
3rd tier: Teams locked into the lottery.  Celtics, Sixers, Bucks, Hawks, Bobcats, Grizzlies, Warriors, Wolves, Blazers, Sonics
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 02:32:36 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues