Author Topic: Cut the PC crap  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Cut the PC crap
« on: March 01, 2007, 01:37:00 AM »
Thank goodness the Boston station owners did not overeact.  Corny Max apologized and for goodness sake, Move On!!

Celtics broadcaster offers on-air apology for sexist remark  
February 28, 2007

BOSTON (AP) -- Boston Celtics radio analyst Cedric Maxwell apologized on the air Wednesday night for saying that a female referee should "go back to the kitchen" after he disagreed with one of her calls.

Maxwell made the comment during the Celtics' 77-72 victory over the Houston Rockets on Monday. He subsequently said "Go in there and make me some bacon and eggs, would you?" in reference to referee Violet Palmer.

"If I said anything that might have been insensitive or sexist in any way, then I apologize because she worked extremely hard to get where she is now, end of quote," Maxwell said before the Celtics' game against the New York Knicks on WEEI-AM, which is owned by Entercom Communications.

"This really has been a fire storm," he added later.

Maxwell's co-announcer, Sean Grande, followed the apology by saying their show would not change.

"We are not changing the way we do our jobs because of the tendency of media outlets to present people's comments in a way that serves their story," Grande said.

Maxwell declined further comment following the on-air exchange.

Jason Wolfe, Entercom's vice president of AM programming and operations in Boston, said the station does not condone Maxwell's comments, which he called a poor attempt at humor.

"Cedric is an excellent analyst and has been an exemplary employee in the more than 10 years I've known and worked with him," Wolfe said in a statement.

Entercom owns WEEI and WRKO-AM. Celtics games are usually broadcast on WRKO, but Monday and Wednesday night's games were on WEEI.

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Don't bees no mo' PC
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 03:05:02 AM »
Hey Reality!

IMHO, one of the best things about being a 'true fan' is the smack-talking/dozens aspect of the whole thing.  Any female anything (fan, ref, player, I don't care what) who can't take some jive needs to get real.   Be A Man (as my son insulted his (admittedly wussed-out) uncle when he was only 10 years old...I knew this fellow would be trouble, then and there), woman!!!   LOL

-RB
Shaq #1
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cut the PC crap
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 10:10:29 AM »
Well, he shouldn't be fired but on the other hand, he didn't actually apologize either.  Use of the word "if" means it's not an apology.  Actually it's what I call a politician's apology.  You know, "If anyone interpreted my comments about bloodsucking jews, lazy spics and thievin' spearchuckers as offensive, then I am sorry."
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 10:47:37 AM »
Well, he shouldn't be fired but on the other hand, he didn't actually apologize either.  Use of the word "if" means it's not an apology.  Actually it's what I call a politician's apology.  You know, "If anyone interpreted my comments about bloodsucking jews, lazy spics and thievin' spearchuckers as offensive, then I am sorry."

Exactly.

He wasn't even sincere and whether people should grow up or not....that is easy to say as a man.  What if a religious or racial insult was thrown your way because someone disagree'd with a call you made in a freakin b-ball game.

What year is this btw?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 10:53:08 AM »
Yeah that "if" crap just negates the apology.
I will give Maxwell credit for saying "because she worked extremely hard to get where she is now", and indeed in modern day some wives are making more or even supporting their families.  Single moms too.

But the point you make jn is kind of my point.  If not sincerely sorry, don't make some public PC wussified apology.
Like the Greys Anatomy guy.  He burned on homos and he knows it.  Now he's gone out and hired a gay PR guru to *restore* his image.  The guru is the one who helped John Amechis coming out book!
Spare me!

As to violet, have a little humor.  Tell Maxwell you'll give him his eggs and bacon, along with a spatula upside the head and some coffee on his britches.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 10:55:08 AM »
It is also a wonderful example for all those fans under age 12 listening to the game.  It is about time we taught youngsters the proper attitude towards women & refs.  

::)
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 10:59:46 AM »
Yes that is true.
Especially for women who come from backgrounds or still live with deadbeat dads or abusive jerks.  Not funny.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 11:53:04 AM »
Yeah, he shouln't have called her out based on her gender.  He should have plain called her out because she is a below average ref.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 12:47:01 PM »
Yeah, he shouln't have called her out based on her gender.  He should have plain called her out because she is a below average ref.

Being a crappy ref is not exclusive to any age, race, or gender  ;D

I agree with Reality, cut the PC bs.  Quit saying things just to say them.   We all have moved on to blaming stupid things we say and do on an alcohol or drug problem!   At least do apologize with the words 'I am going to rehab for my problem'  If Mel Gibson, the teacher at my former Jr High (the hot blonde), and the Grey's star can do it...so can you!

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com