Author Topic: Radman fesses up  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Radman fesses up
« on: February 24, 2007, 04:17:37 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-lakerep24feb24,1,4247539.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true
Hurt snowboarding.

"Kupchak and Jackson said they would sit down and discuss possible penalties for Radmanovic. They could void his contract, a highly unlikely outcome, according to a league source. They could suspend him, although he is already out six to eight weeks. Or they could simply fine him."

Purple n Goldens, while i am not suggesting this for punishments sake, would you like to make this an opportunity to void B-Radmans contract and put the dough into pursuing other players?  He's been both very good and iffy at different times this year.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 04:32:03 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Radman fesses up
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 11:22:51 PM »
void his contract!

The reason I say that is because this further proves he is a bonafide space cadet.  He was oblivious to the fact that snowboarding can injure you.  He is oblivious to the position of players on the court.  He is oblivious to the fact that the team really would persue the truth in the situation.  As if there is a large number of 6'10 Yugoslavian people hitting the sloaps that he could just blend in.

They over paid for him, he is still going to need surgery on his hand no matter what he does this season, and 40 odd games into the season he has not picked up on the triangle at all.  When I mean not at all, I really mean not at all.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 02:48:13 AM »
Lakeshows player contracts dropping off end this season: 
Brian Grant 15M  :D
Mihm 4.2
McKie 2.5
2008 Kwame 9M

Yes i am surprised they did not void Radmans contract which goes till like 2011.
Seems they got a nice *low cost* 52 game look at him.
Phil think he was and is gonna work his Phil Zennery with Radman or what is up?
Or, since injury occured after trade deadline, compromise and rewrite Radmans contact to go thru this season.  If he rocks in the playoffs, great sign again afterwords.  If not, Rad is out and continue rebuild plan with someone else.

Seemed like a great time to use potential freed up bucks to team someone with SuperByns.
Whom by the way, why does Byns currently not get more shot attempts?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 10:51:22 AM by Reality »

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 06:22:23 PM »
If we lived in a vacuum, I would have said void his contract.  Unfortunately, it's just not that simple. 

First of all, the players union would have filed an appeal and the Lakers would have been tied up in arbitration/litigation and would have likely ended up having to settle.  Who knows at what cost? 

Second, voiding a contract in that manner sends a negative message to Rad's agent and every other NBA agent out there.  It's unfortunate, but it's the reality of the business side of the league.  The Lakers have enough trouble putting together trades with other teams because no one wants to help them.  They have to be careful not to piss off too many agents, or they'll have a harder time with free agent signings as well. 

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 09:16:58 AM »
The Lakers have enough trouble putting together trades with other teams because no one wants to help them.

Is that why Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Shaquille O'Neal, and Kobe Bryant all got traded to the Lakers.......zing! j/k ;)

I know, msc, as comebacks go, that was dorky, but hey, its early. 8)  (good lord that's a lot of commas)
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 09:55:28 AM »
^^I know, I know, I should have specified in recent history  ;)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 10:20:49 AM »
Is that why Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Shaquille O'Neal, and Kobe Bryant all got traded

FYI, Magic and Shaq did not get traded to the Lakers.  I don't think many people saw what West saw in Kobe, that was a risk on the Lakers part but the fact that they were getting Shaq made Vlade, who was a solid center, more expendable.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 10:49:09 AM »
The point being, unlike just about every other team in the NBA, all the Lakers have to do to attract players' attention via free agency or trades is to open their door and stand back as the stampede proceeds.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 11:01:10 AM »
The point being, unlike just about every other team in the NBA, all the Lakers have to do to attract players' attention via free agency or trades is to open their door and stand back as the stampede proceeds.

Although I would have to say the stampede seems to have lost its way since the Lakers became "Kobe's" team.   ;D
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 11:40:45 AM »

I'm not impressed by the stampede of players like Smush, RadMan, Rider and Richmond.  The only time I felt the Lakers got a break was Malone and Payton.  Ho Grant was a nice pickup but the typical role the Lakers play in the FA market is that of a token option/threat.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 12:10:56 PM »
Lurker:
Although I would have to say the stampede seems to have lost its way since the Lakers became "Kobe's" team.

WayOutWest: 
I'm not impressed by the stampede of players like Smush, RadMan, Rider and Richmond.  The only time I felt the Lakers got a break was Malone and Payton.  Ho Grant was a nice pickup but the typical role the Lakers play in the FA market is that of a token option/threat.

Maybe people don't realize just how magical, Jerry West truly was.  Question here, Lakerites, how long was Jerry West in the front office in any kind of player/personnel capacity.  Does he go as far back as the famed Gail Goodrich for Norm Nixon (+ draft pick) deal.

Its true the Lakers have hit a dry spot as FA signings and draft picks go the last few years, but the rest of the league has gotten a little wiser, too.  This new "extend your dominant, franchise, big man before his contract is due" fad that is sweeping the league has taken quite the number of big, men (scarce as they are) off the market before they hit it.  Nene Hilario wasn't even spared and despite Ted's declared man-love 8), I did glance sideways at the $60 million extension he recieved.         
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 12:25:40 PM »
Jerry West started the summer Worthy (edit) was drafted but he was not responsible for the trade to get the draft pick that turned into Worthy, trading for Kareem or drafting Magic.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 12:36:36 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 02:15:21 PM »
Jerry West started the summer Worthy (edit) was drafted but he was not responsible for the trade to get the draft pick that turned into Worthy, trading for Kareem or drafting Magic.

The first time West got my attention as the Laker GM was when he threatened to quit if the Lakers traded Worthy for Magic's buddy Aguire.  I've gone over Laker draft picks since West was GM and I think West only passed up on one, maybe two, better talents at the draft position that was available to him.  At the time of the Worthy pick, as Lurker pointed out West was "gifted" the pick, he had to chose between Worthy, Dominique and Cummings.  While Nique may have become a bigger name talent, Worthy was the perfect fit for the showtime Lakers and I don't know that the Lakers would have had the same succes without Worthy.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 02:21:31 PM »
If we lived in a vacuum, I would have said void his contract.  Unfortunately, it's just not that simple. 

First of all, the players union would have filed an appeal and the Lakers would have been tied up in arbitration/litigation and would have likely ended up having to settle.  Who knows at what cost? 

Second, voiding a contract in that manner sends a negative message to Rad's agent and every other NBA agent out there.  It's unfortunate, but it's the reality of the business side of the league.  The Lakers have enough trouble putting together trades with other teams because no one wants to help them.  They have to be careful not to piss off too many agents, or they'll have a harder time with free agent signings as well. 
A negative message that one of the unions poor, pampered multi millionaires decides to completely disobey his contract and go skiing might be disciplined.
Is the NBA players union anywhere near as ridiculous as the MLB union?

Wow.  They are as bad as the don't spank* your kids fruits.
*reasonable spanking

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 04:39:52 PM »
^^^Reality, I agree it's total bs, but it is the reality of the business.  There are a lot of people I would rather not have to negotiate with in my job, but I either have to deal with them or get in another line of work  ;)

<edited for poor grammar>
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 04:48:12 PM by msc »