Author Topic: ARGH*!@^ The sad state of the Los Angeles Lakers  (Read 2867 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
ARGH*!@^ The sad state of the Los Angeles Lakers
« on: February 22, 2007, 12:42:55 PM »
SIGH is all I can say.  In big capital letters.  What started off looking like an awesome season unfolding has turned into a nightmare over the last month. 

I'd love to blame injuries to half the team through the off-season and regular season....but I just cannot.  While that hurts them, it just is not quite a good enough reason to pin this melt down on.  Not to mention they were playing pretty well with injuries to Kwame and Odom early on in the season.

I'd love to blame the inexpierence of Bynum and Turiaf anchoring the defense....but I just cannot because that is not the sole problem.  They've actually done a better job then you could hope for with those two who were not expected to play heavy minutes this year.

I'd love to blame it on 'Luke Walton being the glue but he is out' but while he is an awesome player/teammate, he is not the type of player to magically turn teams around like that.

I'd love to blame it on David Stern and the NBA for some kind of crazy conspiracy theory to punish Kobe for making the league look bad....but I don't smoke crack.

What I would like to blame is each and every player (except Turiaf and Mo Evans) plus the coaching staff.  Yes, Mr. Phil Jackson is included on that.  The effort from top to bottom is not there when it comes to focusing in on the real problem, DEFENSE.  Never in all the years of watching the Lakers have I seen more pathetic defense.  The players, ALL OF THEM, are to blame for this.  Parker for being young yet unable to keep players in front of him (no matter their age), Kobe for not boxing out 80% of the time, Odom for making horrible defensive decisions time and time again, Bynum for biting on head fakes as if he can't afford food, Cook for not trying on defensve period, and Phil/the staff for not figuring out how to get to his players on exactly what is going on.  The 'these young players don't listen' excuse just doesn't fly.  Reason being is it is not fun to lose no matter how young and immature you are.  The coaching staff needs to shoulder alot of responsibility for not telling the players in a way they understand what they are doing wrong.   They are getting beat the exact same ways nightly.  While they can't force effort upon their team, they can condition a mentality and have yet to do that this year.  They do have to get players on the same page.  You cannot just throw your hands up in the air and give up.  Sure you can do that with FT shooting (another Laker problem) but you cannot do that with defense.

(I did not include Ronie Turiaf or Mo Evans because I have never seen these two not give anything short of 100% on the defensive end.  While they both are not the greatest defenders (Mo much better then Ronnie) all you can ask for his effort.)

This pains me to say all this, big time.  I love the Lakers to death but this is getting out of hand.  I am frustrated,  I am disapointed, and overall I am pissed.  Why?  Because we have seen what this team is capable of.  We know what they can do when on the same page.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 12:48:28 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: ARGH*!@^ The sad state of the Los Angeles Lakers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 12:53:35 PM »
Maybe you should just wish that the rest of the teams in the League recognize that the Lakers are THE TEAM and the rest of the teams only exist to lay down when they play Los Angeles to ensure more championships for the Lakers.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 12:56:28 PM »
Maybe you should just wish that the rest of the teams in the League recognize that the Lakers are THE TEAM and the rest of the teams only exist to lay down when they play Los Angeles to ensure more championships for the Lakers.

Or better yet, I could wish for all the teams in the league to act like the Kings during the ever so famous year they didn't make the finals!  You know that way come playoff time the Lakers could get it done.

I guess that is what you are saying though....my bad.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 01:07:51 PM »
Or better yet, I could wish for all the teams in the league to act like the Kings during the ever so famous year they didn't make the finals!  You know that way come playoff time the Lakers could get it done.

Since the Lakers never should have continued to the finals that year anyway, maybe if you just traded away Kobe, your biased refs will return to La La land, unhindered by his annoying presence and once again reward Los Angeles for NOT playing well enough to win on their own, and give them your expected added push to ensure winning it all once again. \

Maybe THAT is what I am saying.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 01:57:06 PM »

Since the Lakers never should have continued to the finals that year anyway, maybe if you just traded away Kobe, your biased refs will return to La La land, unhindered by his annoying presence and once again reward Los Angeles for NOT playing well enough to win on their own, and give them your expected added push to ensure winning it all once again. \

I am glad the biased refs installed that moving backboard during free throws in Arco Arena that year, that was sweet!  We need to get those installed back on the road for the Lakers.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 02:00:13 PM by westkoast »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 02:09:42 PM »

I am glad the biased refs installed that moving backboard during free throws in Arco Arena that year, that was sweet!  We need to get those installed back on the road for the Lakers.

Sorry, the patent on those backboards ran out just after Vlade ordered his Serbian minions to hose down his walk prior to Radmanovic taking his icy stroll down to the nearest Starbucks for a frappachino.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 02:14:49 PM »
SIGH is all I can say.  In big capital letters.  What started off looking like an awesome season unfolding has turned into a nightmare over the last month. 

I'd love to blame injuries to half the team through the off-season and regular season....but I just cannot.  While that hurts them, it just is not quite a good enough reason to pin this melt down on.  Not to mention they were playing pretty well with injuries to Kwame and Odom early on in the season.

I'd love to blame the inexpierence of Bynum and Turiaf anchoring the defense....but I just cannot because that is not the sole problem.  They've actually done a better job then you could hope for with those two who were not expected to play heavy minutes this year.

I'd love to blame it on 'Luke Walton being the glue but he is out' but while he is an awesome player/teammate, he is not the type of player to magically turn teams around like that.

I'd love to blame it on David Stern and the NBA for some kind of crazy conspiracy theory to punish Kobe for making the league look bad....but I don't smoke crack.

What I would like to blame is each and every player (except Turiaf and Mo Evans) plus the coaching staff.  Yes, Mr. Phil Jackson is included on that.  The effort from top to bottom is not there when it comes to focusing in on the real problem, DEFENSE.  Never in all the years of watching the Lakers have I seen more pathetic defense.  The players, ALL OF THEM, are to blame for this.  Parker for being young yet unable to keep players in front of him (no matter their age), Kobe for not boxing out 80% of the time, Odom for making horrible defensive decisions time and time again, Bynum for biting on head fakes as if he can't afford food, Cook for not trying on defensve period, and Phil/the staff for not figuring out how to get to his players on exactly what is going on.  The 'these young players don't listen' excuse just doesn't fly.  Reason being is it is not fun to lose no matter how young and immature you are.  The coaching staff needs to shoulder alot of responsibility for not telling the players in a way they understand what they are doing wrong.   They are getting beat the exact same ways nightly.  While they can't force effort upon their team, they can condition a mentality and have yet to do that this year.  They do have to get players on the same page.  You cannot just throw your hands up in the air and give up.  Sure you can do that with FT shooting (another Laker problem) but you cannot do that with defense.

(I did not include Ronie Turiaf or Mo Evans because I have never seen these two not give anything short of 100% on the defensive end.  While they both are not the greatest defenders (Mo much better then Ronnie) all you can ask for his effort.)

This pains me to say all this, big time.  I love the Lakers to death but this is getting out of hand.  I am frustrated,  I am disapointed, and overall I am pissed.  Why?  Because we have seen what this team is capable of.  We know what they can do when on the same page.

Yes, it's been very frustrating to watch over these last several weeks.  Everyone is responsible and it's dependent on everyone to step up the intensity. 

Too many 3's + Non-existent Defense = Meltdown. 

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 02:24:03 PM »

What's up, JoMal?  Is the MSNBC board down today?  Surely there are plenty of chest-thumping Laker bandwagon trolls over there for you to bait utilizing your stellar grasp of the written word. 

You really sound like a bitter old man.  Wait, what's that sound?  I think I heard some kids riding their bikes across your front lawn ... quick ... if you hurry you can still shake your cane at them ... it's not too late!!  ;D

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 02:26:42 PM »
Good analysis, koast.  In what little I have seen of the Lakers recently the defense, or lack thereof, should be a major concern.  There was even one writer, on Sportsline I think, who said that the best thing about the Lakers acquiring Kidd would be that the Lakers would have a PG who could keep someone in front of him.  If the PG is constantly being beat then it puts too much pressure on the front line.

Also, as I said at the time, I think the Lakers favorable home schedule in the early season is coming back to bite them.  It made their record look better than the team really was.  In short the Laker fans were sold fool's gold.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 02:35:49 PM »
Good analysis, koast.  In what little I have seen of the Lakers recently the defense, or lack thereof, should be a major concern.  There was even one writer, on Sportsline I think, who said that the best thing about the Lakers acquiring Kidd would be that the Lakers would have a PG who could keep someone in front of him.  If the PG is constantly being beat then it puts too much pressure on the front line.

Also, as I said at the time, I think the Lakers favorable home schedule in the early season is coming back to bite them.  It made their record look better than the team really was.  In short the Laker fans were sold fool's gold.

We were all aware of the loaded front end home schedule and knew it would be tough.  That said, this team is not playing the same way they were in the first 1/4 of the season, regardless of venue.  Injuries are a factor, but not the only factor obviously. 

You are spot on about the PG position.  This has been a weakness of the Lakers for quite sometime and it has certainly been magnified since Shaq left.  Kwame actually does a pretty good job patrolling the paint and Bynum used to ... seems he's lost some presence defensively as of late. 

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 02:44:33 PM »
What's up, JoMal?  Is the MSNBC board down today?  Surely there are plenty of chest-thumping Laker bandwagon trolls over there for you to bait utilizing your stellar grasp of the written word. 

You really sound like a bitter old man.  Wait, what's that sound?  I think I heard some kids riding their bikes across your front lawn ... quick ... if you hurry you can still shake your cane at them ... it's not too late!!  ;D

Oh, now msc, you got me there.

Tell you what? In honor of the latest Laker meltdown, I will mail over to you the Acme, Acne Pimple Popper I confiscated off the big, blubbery kid wearing the "Kobe Riles" t-shirt, who was unable to outrun me and my cane on his Speedo bike, to replace the one you lost up your rear trying to pop that daisy clover zit you apparently have been nursing.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 02:44:38 PM »
Good analysis, koast.  In what little I have seen of the Lakers recently the defense, or lack thereof, should be a major concern.  There was even one writer, on Sportsline I think, who said that the best thing about the Lakers acquiring Kidd would be that the Lakers would have a PG who could keep someone in front of him.  If the PG is constantly being beat then it puts too much pressure on the front line.

Also, as I said at the time, I think the Lakers favorable home schedule in the early season is coming back to bite them.  It made their record look better than the team really was.  In short the Laker fans were sold fool's gold.

Not just the PG but Kobe is guilty of having issues sliding over himself.   The other problem is not just that but rotations from other players to help.  Night in and night out the Lakers are giving up layups and wide open jumpers because of lack of rotation.  There is no anticipation from Parker, Kobe, Odom, Cook, Rad, etc.  Bynum is guilty of TOO much anticipation lol.

I agree the favorable home schudele has come back to bite them but they have also dropped 4 straight at home to bottom of the pack teams save Clevland.  So it is more then that at this point now.  They were actually .500 on the road up until Odom came back.  While I don't think Odom is jinxing them or is a problem they were actually playing better while he is gone then they are now.

I feel the coaching staff is not getting through to this squad when it comes to defense.  Many times I've said 'these are grown men you can only get them to listen so much' but I feel that they are not trying hard enough in this case.  There is a number of young players who need more hand holding then the rest. 

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 02:54:54 PM »

Tell you what? In honor of the latest Laker meltdown, I will mail over to you the Acme, Acne Pimple Popper I confiscated off the big, blubbery kid wearing the "Kobe Riles" t-shirt, who was unable to outrun me and my cane on his Speedo bike, to replace the one you lost up your rear trying to pop that daisy clover zit you apparently have been nursing.

Sounds good.  Hey, while you're at it, would you mind pulling that shirt off of the blubbery Sacramento native pre-dub (PWT in training) and sending the "Kobe Rules" shirt as well?  The demand for those down here is huge.  There are at least a dozen white women in the O.C. that Kobe has yet to rape and until he gets around to violating them, they're still fans and want their own shirt.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 03:09:32 PM »

Sounds good.  Hey, while you're at it, would you mind pulling that shirt off of the blubbery Sacramento native pre-dub (PWT in training) and sending the "Kobe Rules" shirt as well?  The demand for those down here is huge.  There are at least a dozen white women in the O.C. that Kobe has yet to rape and until he gets around to violating them, they're still fans and want their own shirt.

um...that was "Riles", not "Rules".

I am sure once the double digit IQ points kick in, those O.C. ladies will opt for THAT shirt and cancel their Discounted Bimbo Laker season tickets.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 03:32:10 PM »
um...that was "Riles", not "Rules".

I am sure once the double digit IQ points kick in, those O.C. ladies will opt for THAT shirt and cancel their Discounted Bimbo Laker season tickets.

Well now that just doesn't make any sense, every white girl from here to Maine knows that Kobe "Rules".   I figured it had to be a typo on your part considering your still relaxed after getting back from vacation and your lazy finger must have bumped the "I" instead of the "U". 

Kobe/Riles could be a great shirt too though, I think I see where you were giong with this now.  I can see it now, Pat Riley and Kobe side by side with arms around each other each holding up their free hands lined with Championship Rings, cartoon word bubbles showing what each NBA icon is thinking would read: for Riley "You were right Kobe, Shaq is fat and lazy.  I never should have left the best franchise in sports history"; while Kobe's would read: "Where 'da White Women At?!?!?"