Author Topic: Kidd to LA LA Land?  (Read 4015 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Kidd to LA LA Land?
« on: February 20, 2007, 01:45:41 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17228488/

What do the people whose opinion count around here think of this possibility?

I would love it but I haven't heard whom it might be that would get sent packing, I've heard there is a possible 3 way involving Portland but I have heard no names. I am guessing (hoping) Chris Mihm would be gone but I am not sure who else would be on the block, trades and scenarios involving salary's and other limitation have never been my strong suit so I am reall directing this question at the likes of Lurker, JN, MSC, Joe.

Kidd would bring more stability to an offense that can really sputter and lose it's way at times, like in the horrendous 15 games prior to the all-star break. He is not a disruptive player and he would compliment Kobe and Odom's game tremendously with his passing, plus I think he is an intelligent player who would learn the triangle fairly quickly.
Dan

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Re: Kidd to LA LA Land?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 01:49:58 PM »
And he can score at will, especially from the perimeter, adding yet another dimension to the Lakers by forcing teams to respect his shooting with the obvious benefit of giving Odom and Kobe room to work in the post.
Dan

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kidd would be a valuable addition
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 01:51:20 PM »
Hey Laker Fan!

I think that Jason Kidd would be the best PG the LAL have had since Magic roamed the 94' x 47'.  I would comment more, but I've gotta go!

- RB
Shaq #1
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 01:52:53 PM »
I read that the Lakers were offering a package with Kwame, Farmar and draft picks.  IMO Thorn should be tar & feathered and ran out of town if he accepts that deal.  New Jersey needs to insist on more than a bust, a career backup and a late first rounder.  If Bynum isn't included in the talks then Thorn needs to hang up on Kupchak.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 01:53:49 PM »
Also I would have to question whether Kidd would run the triangle or if Jackson would change his offense.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 02:07:31 PM »
I could live without Brown and Farmar just fine (especially Brown) but it sure would hurt to lose Bynum, is a front court presence that pressing an issue for the Nets? Also, what about Mihm? NEver been crazy about his inconsistancy and to me Bynum is worth him AND Kwame Brown combined.

As far as the triangle and Kidd, I think it would work perfectly with his game, it is a very fluid, very ball movement oriented offense, and Kidd is IMO second only to Nash among active point guards as a passer, I am drooling just thinking about how effective he would be in Phil's offense.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 02:10:59 PM »
I read that the Lakers were offering a package with Kwame, Farmar and draft picks.  IMO Thorn should be tar & feathered and ran out of town if he accepts that deal.  New Jersey needs to insist on more than a bust, a career backup and a late first rounder.  If Bynum isn't included in the talks then Thorn needs to hang up on Kupchak.

The Lakers would be beyond dumb to cough up Bynum for an aging Kidd IMO.  He has shown alot of potential as a big man.  If anything his soft hands and foot work should prove to be a bit more important then the last 2-3 years of Kidd's contract.  If all else, they could get something for him later on down the line too if he ends up being just a decent center.  You know how the NBA loves their 7 footers.

I thought if anything they would toss in Odom and something else.

Would LOVE to see Jason Kidd because of his defense more then his offensive abilities.  The Lakers defense , especially by the guards, is hurting very bad.  Problem is...do you want two older guards with bad knees to be out there?  Tough call.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 02:23:40 PM »
Sorry if I misled anyone...I think Kidd would be an excellent addition to the Lakers.  His court savvy and passing would work on almost any team.  Although I see problems with the triangle offense when two key players believe that they can create better outside the offense.  Especially in the 4th quarter of close games.

My point was that Laker fans...mostly on other sites...are drooling over getting Kidd for castoffs.  IMO that will not happen.  Thorn has been around too long to just throw Kidd away for nothing (Brown, Farmar and draft picks = nothing).  Which may be why they are trying to work a 3-way deal.  With Kidd the best thing the Lakers are offering...draft picks...lose value as the Lakers pick will get lower.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 02:35:10 PM »
I know what you meant Lurker, and New Jersey would be foolish to unload him for nothng, downside of his career, bad knee's and all, Kidd can make a team like LA a contender and so the price would be steep to aquire him, I am with 'Koast though, I have very high hopes for Bynum and seriously would hate to lose him, especially with LA having to play in the big man dominated WC, as he gains experience he will give LA matchup advantages as players like Duncan start to age. Giving up Radmanovich, Brown, Farmar, AND Mihm wouldn't kill us, and while losing Bynum may not kill us this season as he is still learning and maturing, but we may regret that move over the next few years if he lives up to his potential.
Dan

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 03:03:41 PM »
My point was that Laker fans...mostly on other sites...are drooling over getting Kidd for castoffs.  IMO that will not happen.  Thorn has been around too long to just throw Kidd away for nothing (Brown, Farmar and draft picks = nothing).  Which may be why they are trying to work a 3-way deal.  With Kidd the best thing the Lakers are offering...draft picks...lose value as the Lakers pick will get lower.
[/quote]

Ding ding ding! 

I agree that Kidd is the type of player who's skills would improve almost any team.  However, Thorn may not be a genious but I can't imagine him just throwing away Kidd.  Given the uncertainty of Vince Carter's free agency and the injury problems with Krstic (sp?) and Jefferson I wonder if the Nets aren't on the brink of a full blown rebuilding project. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 03:11:26 PM »
Which, if true JN, wouldn't mean a fire sale if they're smart, but to me Carter has more trade value than Kidd because he is younger, although just by 3 years, so to me he is the better trade bait, or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 03:15:54 PM »
I agree that Kidd is the type of player who's skills would improve almost any team.  However, Thorn may not be a genious but I can't imagine him just throwing away Kidd.  Given the uncertainty of Vince Carter's free agency and the injury problems with Krstic (sp?) and Jefferson I wonder if the Nets aren't on the brink of a full blown rebuilding project. 
Since they're moving to Manhattan in 2010 or whenever they might want a fresh slate.
Carter is the one they have to either extend or not by the deadline.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 03:20:50 PM »
Problem with moving Carter is that the team receiving him would want guarantees that he won't opt out.  That gives Vince a lot of control over where he would be traded and handcuffs Thorn.  In simple terms NJ can only trade Carter to a contender...and most of the top contenders won't give up the talent they already have.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 03:57:52 PM »
From CBSportsline: (bolding mine)

The Lakers can definitely have Kidd if they're willing to part with Andrew Bynum, but he's considered too valuable a part of the team's future to be included in this deal. More likely, the Nets would have to take back a package involving Kwame Brown, which would be akin to waving the white flag on being competitive anytime soon.

Getting Kidd without giving up Bynum would set the Lakers up as a championship contender for the next couple of seasons, making the Western Conference all the more powerful.

"This team is young, and if you have the opportunity to bring a player like Jason Kidd in, that's something you definitely, definitely have to look at," Kobe Bryant said. "I hear all the talks going on. I don't know the seriousness of it or the possibility of it, but it's still exciting."

The Carter rumors also intensified over the weekend, with the New York Daily News reporting it had heard from a source that Thorn was trying desperately to move his shooting guard, who can opt out of his current deal at season's end. It's widely known that he's always coveted a chance to stay close to his Daytona Beach roots and play for Orlando, who would have the money to pay him with Grant Hill's salary coming off the books.

Although Carter has maintained that he hasn't decided what he's going to do this summer, speculation is that he fully intends on staying in Florida, adding to the likelihood he gets moved.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 04:00:36 PM »
Since when has Kidd had an outside shot?

Kidd would be a great addtion, his defense is still very solid but I'm not sure what he can do against Nash, Parker and Terry, they guys the Lakers will have the most problems with in the playoffs.

Lakers have nothing to trade other than Bynum and Odom, everything else on the Lakers squad is pretty worthless and since Cupcake is our GM, I doubt there will any takers.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"