Author Topic: The Snickers Commercial  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
The Snickers Commercial
« on: February 08, 2007, 01:01:12 PM »
Mars Inc is going to pull the ad.
http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/06/news/companies/snickers/index.htm?cnn=yes

But a few people brought up some good questions. :D

If the commercial had a gay dude kiss a chick and then had to decorate a house interior to prove his gayness would the Straights Rights groups be mad?

Will Cavemen groups now be offended?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Snickers Commercial
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 04:52:05 PM »
Mars Inc is going to pull the ad.
http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/06/news/companies/snickers/index.htm?cnn=yes

But a few people brought up some good questions. :D

If the commercial had a gay dude kiss a chick and then had to decorate a house interior to prove his gayness would the Straights Rights groups be mad?

Will Cavemen groups now be offended?

Good question and you know the answer would be 'No'  Why?  People really don't care that much.

This was a interesting take on some of these gay rights issues that have popped up from the Kevin and Bean show....

Bean said that people also have a right to not think being gay is okay.  Not agreeing with it is not the same as doing something to harm them.  He said it seems as if some of these gay rights groups think all people need to feel the same way they do.  They don't.  I think that is something that needs to be addressed to those groups.  They want people to be open minded and look at things from another perspective....but can't see it from another persons perspective.  If you are very religious chances are you don't agree with people being gay.  That doesn't mean you are going to shout slurs or try to beat them up...it just means you don't agree.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 05:03:09 PM »
Bean said that people also have a right to not think being gay is okay.  Not agreeing with it is not the same as doing something to harm them.  He said it seems as if some of these gay rights groups think all people need to feel the same way they do.  They don't.  I think that is something that needs to be addressed to those groups.  They want people to be open minded and look at things from another perspective....but can't see it from another persons perspective.  If you are very religious chances are you don't agree with people being gay.  That doesn't mean you are going to shout slurs or try to beat them up...it just means you don't agree.

Substitute abortion, gun control, war, or any other "hot button" issue in place of gay and your argument attacks every politically active group in America.  But then it is ok to disagree with something as long as I disagree with it.  But, buddy, you better not disagree with me when it comes to what I believe in. 

(This is the main problem with Laker fans...they just can't see it from any other person's perspective.)   :D
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 05:30:23 PM »

Substitute abortion, gun control, war, or any other "hot button" issue in place of gay and your argument attacks every politically active group in America.  But then it is ok to disagree with something as long as I disagree with it.  But, buddy, you better not disagree with me when it comes to what I believe in. 

(This is the main problem with Laker fans...they just can't see it from any other person's perspective.)   :D

Ya no doubt but it seems as if people have no problem arguing back when it comes to other groups trying to push their views on others.  When anti-abortion people start yelling, you hear replies.  When rootin tootin pro-gun cowboys (also known as Spurs fans) talk about their views, 40 soccer moms and Rosie O Donnel reply.  I have yet to hear someone really step up and say 'Hay I have a right to not agree with people being gay'

Now dont take that as me saying I am one of those people.  I have no problems with people who are homosexual.  That is on them.  I however agree that certain individuals don't have to accept people being gay as ok.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 05:38:14 PM »

Ya no doubt but it seems as if people have no problem arguing back when it comes to other groups trying to push their views on others.  When anti-abortion people start yelling, you hear replies.  When rootin tootin pro-gun cowboys (also known as Spurs fans) talk about their views, 40 soccer moms and Rosie O Donnel reply.  I have yet to hear someone really step up and say 'Hay I have a right to not agree with people being gay'

Now dont take that as me saying I am one of those people.  I have no problems with people who are homosexual.  That is on them.  I however agree that certain individuals don't have to accept people being gay as ok.

I have no problem with people disagreeing either.  Or to put in Dr Phil term's...it is OK to agree to disagree.  My problem comes when you start claiming that you have a right to force your views on the rest of us...whatever side of the issue you are on.  Noooo....keep those purple & gold glasses away.  My eyesight....arggggghhhhh.

In short...gays have no right to demand more or better treatment than any other citizen.  But anti-gays also have no right to insist gays have less rights (or are less "human") than others.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 05:43:55 PM »

I have no problem with people disagreeing either.  Or to put in Dr Phil term's...it is OK to agree to disagree.  My problem comes when you start claiming that you have a right to force your views on the rest of us...whatever side of the issue you are on.  Noooo....keep those purple & gold glasses away.  My eyesight....arggggghhhhh.

In short...gays have no right to demand more or better treatment than any other citizen.  But anti-gays also have no right to insist gays have less rights (or are less "human") than others.

Lurker, being a Laker fan is what god wants okay?  Just stop trying to deny it.

Are Indian guys linning up get Bud Light to pull that Carlos Mencia commercial where he is teaching them how to keep from giving up their bud light?  Isn't that commercial promoting anti-immigrant ideas by making a lack of communication the punch line in the commercial?

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 10:11:50 AM »
/* dripping of sarcasm */

Obviously, that commercial is okay, though, since the people it would offend don't understand it.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 12:16:48 PM »

In short...gays have no right to demand more or better treatment than any other citizen.  But anti-gays also have no right to insist gays have less rights (or are less "human") than others.  [/quote]

Exactly and the thing about the Snicker commercial is that a fair number of straights could find it just as offensive as the gay rights groups found.
Who wanted to see two guys schmooching as family is around watching SuperBowl?  Yet a portion of those had no problem watching Ali Landry and the blonde smooche on the "Tastes Great - Less Filling" mudwrestling match.  On and on.

Myself, i love the invention of Tivo/DVR recording.  Let whatever you want to watch start ahead, buzz thru commercials (or in the case of SBowl watch them).  If a device that eliminates commercials was ever allowed to go to market......

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 12:24:17 PM »
/* dripping of sarcasm */

Obviously, that commercial is okay, though, since the people it would offend don't understand it.

;D

Reality that no commercial device will never hit the market because for non-cable channels that is how they make money.  Especially with the higher cost of all those stations having to move to HD in the next two years.   TiVO is as close as we are going to get and IMO it is enough.  You still catch some of the commercials but instead of 30-45 seconds (anyone notice commercials are getting longer?) it's like 5.