Author Topic: All Star game - who starts in Yao's place?  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
All Star game - who starts in Yao's place?
« on: January 26, 2007, 09:39:23 AM »
Obviously Yao won't play in the all star game.  Do you give the starting spot to Amare who was second in votes for centers?  Or do you move Duncan to center & start Dirk?

IMO Dirk deserves the start ahead of Amare.  Dirk probably has deserved a starting spot the past couple years but can't get past KG or Duncan in the fan vote.  I guess not enough Germans have internet connections.   ;)
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: All Star game - who starts in Yao's place?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 10:41:41 AM »
I think you move Duncan to the 5 and start Dirk.  Like you said it is only fair and as far as important pieces go on teams...I think Dirk ranks higher then Amare (since both teams have had alot of success so its almost a wash in that dept IMO)

You know what is weird is the fact KG does always beat out Dirk.  I thought for sure Dirk has been the more popular player over the last 2-3 years.

Dwight Howard BETTER start over Shaq.  How can a guy who won't play double digit games by the all-star game get in over a guy who has been producing like no one at his position in his conference?  I'll go as far to say he has produced more thena nyone in the east.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 10:52:16 AM »
Dwight Howard BETTER start over Shaq.  How can a guy who won't play double digit games by the all-star game get in over a guy who has been producing like no one at his position in his conference?  I'll go as far to say he has produced more thena nyone in the east.

I agree.  IMO any player that doesn't play more than 30 games before the voting ends should be declared ineligible and the next highest vote getter should be named.  But if Shaq is "active" before the ASG then he gets the start since the "true" fans (as opposed to the knowledgable ones) voted him in.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 02:25:16 PM »

I agree.  IMO any player that doesn't play more than 30 games before the voting ends should be declared ineligible and the next highest vote getter should be named.  But if Shaq is "active" before the ASG then he gets the start since the "true" fans (as opposed to the knowledgable ones) voted him in.

Not even 30 games, how about 15? lol  How can he even be an all-star this year if he hasn't played?@!#@?$  I just don't get it.

To snub Dwight Howard is wrong on so many levels.  Not only has he actually played this year...he is one of the best players in the east (one would say better then MOST of the all-star team), his team is actually one of the best in the conference (the Heat are not at .500), and hay wouldn't it be nice for the league to develop new talent by making him a starter?! Shaq is done.  Howard is probably going to dominate his position in this league for another 10. 

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Watch out, now
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 03:39:13 PM »

Hey wk!

I received an unfamiliar sensation (hackles rising) upon reading your dis of 'The Daddy' - fyi, the All-Star game is not about what you have done lately, it's about star power!  When one even considers the relative notoriety of (who?) Dwight Howard versus 'The Big Historical', it's a non-issue.  Let me ask you this...who would you rather have on your squad in the playoffs - Shaq Daddy (injured or not) or Howard?  'Nuff said.

- RB
Shaq #1
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Watch out, now
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 03:51:24 PM »
...who would you rather have on your squad in the playoffs - Shaq Daddy (injured or not) or Howard?  'Nuff said.

- RB
Shaq #1

Well if it comes down to a healthy Howard versus an injured Shaq...I would pick Howard.  Unless by injured you mean Shaq still plays at 70-75%.
-Moody Blues

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 03:55:56 PM »
[Unless by injured you mean Shaq still plays at 70-75%.
Hey Lurker!

By that statement, I take it to mean that Shaq even at 70% is better than Howard - obviously, you are a knowledgeable and perceptive fan of the game.

- RB
Shaq #1
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 03:57:10 PM »

Hey wk!

I received an unfamiliar sensation (hackles rising) upon reading your dis of 'The Daddy' - fyi, the All-Star game is not about what you have done lately, it's about star power!  When one even considers the relative notoriety of (who?) Dwight Howard versus 'The Big Historical', it's a non-issue.  Let me ask you this...who would you rather have on your squad in the playoffs - Shaq Daddy (injured or not) or Howard?  'Nuff said.

- RB
Shaq #1

RB I don't know if you watched the playoffs 2 years ago but his playoff stock just isn't what it was.  Wade was able to advance pretty far with the Big Fella sitting on the bench.  I'll go as far to say that Wade would do better if Howard was on his team in the post then if Shaq was.  Dwight is an awesome player.  He is a better rebounder then Shaq is and he can play for longer periods of time at a high level.  20 and 20 games are what Shaq did in 2002.  20 and 20 games are what Dwight Howard is doing right now.

I know what the all-star game is, it's a popularity contest.  My point is Shaq hasn't even played more then a few games this entire year so how could he be an all-star for the 2006-2007 season?  Also, as far as star power goes, you are right...there is no contest at all between the two.  The problem is Shaq's basketball star is fading while Howard's is just starting to shine.  Shaq will always be the bigger name but when he is retired from the NBA what does that name do for the league in terms of promoting the World's Best Talent for basketball?

Shaq at 70% in this point in his career is not better then Howard at 100%.